How many still use a pager?

This is a discussion on How many still use a pager? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I found out that a pager must be better then a cell phone..so i was just curious, how many does still use a pager? Is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many still use a pager?

How many still use a pager?

I found out that a pager must be better then a cell phone..so i was just curious, how many does still use a pager? Is it still possible for a private to buy a pager?

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    I went the other way, from pager to cell. When you are paged, you usually have to call in......... I decided to eliminate the middle man.

You should still be able to buy/rent a pager as an individual.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

We were "issued" them for work.....mine 'accidently' came off my belt and 'fell' into the comode after finishing my 'paperwork'.

I'm told I'll get 'issued' another next quarter.

I'm married so I'm on a short enough leash as it is!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by Daniella View Post
    I found out that a pager must be better then a cell phone.
    Must be? How's that?

I think of a cell phone as a pager, as the phone can perform that function. It also has the added ability to place/receive calls, which can be useful in a security situation. Depending what you want the one device you carry to do, I'd think a cell phone the "better" of the two choices.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Administrator
    They are still out there, but hard to find. I finally switched to a phone when I had trouble finding a pager service.

My wife still uses one, work gives her one when she is on call for the O.R. I hate the thing, it goes off without fail at 4am.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniella View Post
    I found out that a pager must be better then a cell phone..so i was just curious, how many does still use a pager? Is it still possible for a private to buy a pager?
    Pager "reception" is more reliable than cell calls. Text messages on a cell phone are also more reliable than actual cell calls.

I used a pager for many years. Gave out the pager number and used the cell phone (when reception allowed) to return calls. Medical folks still use pagers but most other folks seem to have abandoned them.

I always purchased mine, don't believe in paying "rent".

As cell service in this area became more reliable, I terminated my pager service. I still have 2 or 3 Motorola pagers in excellent condition, if anyone is interested.

Caution if you use Arch Wireless for your service. Even though I bought my pagers outright from them, they dunned me a few times for "not returning rental equipment". They fixed it a few times, but when I terminated the contract, they ignored my letters (with proof of purchase) and put the "failure to return equipment" (that I owned) out for collection. I ended up threatening the collection company with charges of consumer fraud and Arch corporate offices ignored my letter on the matter (they also moved to parts unknown). The letters stopped but I wouldn't be surprised if they reported it to the credit bureaus.

I would much rather have a pager than a cell. I am all for recieving a text on my pager, I do hate having to make a call and talk to anyone tho. So after a few heated arguments with the "little woman", I had to terminate my pager service and get one of those damned cell phones..my cell has on several occasions come real close to going to cell phone heaven..anyway, I donated my pager to a local search and rescue team..I sure miss it tho..much more reliable than a damn cell phone!
    "Brains before Bullets"

Quote Originally Posted by LenS View Post
    Pager "reception" is more reliable than cell calls. Text messages on a cell phone are also more reliable than actual cell calls.

I used a pager for many years. Gave out the pager number and used the cell phone (when reception allowed) to return calls. Medical folks still use pagers but most other folks seem to have abandoned them.

I always purchased mine, don't believe in paying "rent".

As cell service in this area became more reliable, I terminated my pager service. I still have 2 or 3 Motorola pagers in excellent condition, if anyone is interested.

Caution if you use Arch Wireless for your service. Even though I bought my pagers outright from them, they dunned me a few times for "not returning rental equipment". They fixed it a few times, but when I terminated the contract, they ignored my letters (with proof of purchase) and put the "failure to return equipment" (that I owned) out for collection. I ended up threatening the collection company with charges of consumer fraud and Arch corporate offices ignored my letter on the matter (they also moved to parts unknown). The letters stopped but I wouldn't be surprised if they reported it to the credit bureaus.
    umm...I could be wrong, but if they already sent the collection hounds after you, they probably dinged your credit too. I would keep on them to make sure. That's all you need is some other bozo somewhere else that screwed up, to screw up YOUR credit and good name...just a thought
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Work forces me to carry one (only during working hours). They keep talking about giving us walkies...I hope that never happens.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

With a pager, you still usually have to call someone to get the details of what the page is all about. Working pay phones get harder to find every day, and you have to keep a pocket-full of change at all times.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

I haven't carried a pager in ages... I actually went without anything for a long time before finally getting a cell phone.

Cell phone is really convenient. I make more calls then I receive because I don't give out cell phone number to a lot of people which makes it not too annoying.

You can also opt not to answer the cell phone if you don't feel like talking.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Not in 10 years. There's nothing that a pager can do that a cell phone cannot. You can't say the same for the pager.

I go so far as to say that most people who still carry pagers do so because their jobs require it......and I'll bet that most of them also carry a cell phone so they can return a call if they're paged.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

A pager? That's sooo 80's . . .
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    umm...I could be wrong, but if they already sent the collection hounds after you, they probably dinged your credit too. I would keep on them to make sure. That's all you need is some other bozo somewhere else that screwed up, to screw up YOUR credit and good name...just a thought
    When I first got the erroneous bill, I mailed Arch's billing office, with copies of my purchase invoice.

When the collection agency came after me, I again mailed Arch (HQ this time) and the collection agency.

Yup, they probably did. This was 4-5 years ago and it will roll off on its own before I'll care. I don't accept any more credit offers (get tons of them and shred them almost daily), got plenty of credit now and pay all my bills on time. So whatever they did won't really effect me.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    This is a strange thread.

There aren't many places left in this country of ours where reception is bad. I live near mountains and never have trouble. I guess if you live in Podunk, Arkansas or somewhere else remote, you might have issues. More commonly, there are a few cell providers in an area, but only one actually has "good" service coverage. I've seen that several times, even in big cities.

Nate
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links