Empty Nester

This is a discussion on Empty Nester within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I just moved my youngest off to College, the oldest is already there (4 hours away). I am a little saddened by no children in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Empty Nester

Empty Nester

I just moved my youngest off to College, the oldest is already there (4 hours away). I am a little saddened by no children in the house and may take some time to get used to just me and the wife. I have a ton of projects I could work on but right now I have no desire and it is too hot to do anything outside.

Anybody else out there in this same boat? Or been through this before?
    Yoda, I am, yes.

2. Remove Ads

My advice -- buy a new gun. It will make you feel better.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I've been there. The empty nest feeling is real but in truth, there is life after children.

VIP Member
    You bet I've been through it. Our last one left for college about ten years ago, did I really just say that......TEN YEARS AGO! It takes some adjusting, I'd say it took us about 6 months. It helped me to think about the very obvious fact that they shouldn't live at home forever, they need to get out on their own. That's the very thing that I did when I was their age. I'm sure they were ready to go also.

My wife probably took it a little harder than I did. Beware- I was a bit of a target when she was feeling low about it, especially on the weekends. I just rode it out until she began to feel better.

Now we've gotten into a routine here at home, just the two of us and our new adopted children.......the cats. Yes, I think that pets help. We're always glad for the kids to come and visit plenty, but we adjust back to our routine nicely after they leave. It is sort of nice if we want to go somewhere or do something we just do it. That part is very nice.

I bet you'll do fine, just get ready for a short-lived little slump and afterwards plenty of good days and times ahead for you. Worked for us.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array mavrik46's Avatar
    My wife and I just moved our only child back to college this past Saturday. Having to get used to the quiet all over again.
    Greg

It's not what you go thru in life, but how well you go thru it.

Senior Moderator
    My wife and I just moved our only child back to college this past Saturday. Having to get used to the quiet all over again.
    Me too.

I'm going to have to get used to actually having some food in the refrigerator.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Our only child left August 1st, and it's been tough on my wife. What keeps us going is recognizing that she's in God's hands and by His grace, is doing well. It would have been irresponsible for us to send her off a year ago, and she could certainly have gone sour had we kept her here another year. We figger that other parents have been through this in the history of the world, too...

A week after she left, my wife bought a couple of newborn calves at the auction. They are doing well now, but they tried to die for a week or so... kept us busy and occupied. (We told daughter that we moved them into her room.)

Been there, done that. Time will heal the "empty nest" feeling, but look at all the free time you will have now! Think of great things to do!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

They never truly leave, just wait for it. In the interim enjoy the peace N quiet.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Been there, try this to help you get over it:

Take off all your clothes, and run thru the house naked!! It's something you haven't been able to do for the last 18 years, after the 3rd or 4th lap it will sink in - no kids.
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

The wife and I have definitely experienced the empty nest syndrome...years ago.

Two points on this:

#1. The empty next syndrome is something most (families) experience...feelings vary.

#2. They come back...sometimes, multiple times.

Advice...re-paint and turn the kid's room into an office or exercise room ASAP!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    I love my kids, but I cant wait to have my house back.
    "Just blame Sixto"

First and foremost - Congratulations! Both off to college - you've almost passed that parent test called survival!

Secondly - you could well have entered a new phase in life where you and your DW can re-bond and be friends and whatever again, without those pesky little rats underfoot, even if college keeps you broke.

Third, a feeling of loss is normal. My DW and I sobbed like little 'uns after we dropped both of ours off. Some folks cheer.

They are becoming humans and adults - you've done well, and are a big part way there. Congrats again.

VIP Member
    Not only is empty nest somewhat tough to put up with, but add the cost of college to that. When my kids left for college I told them that any academic awards, dean's list, diploma's and all that stuff was absolutely great. However the paperwork I was most looking forward to hearing about was their first paycheck.

That is something that is cause to celebrate. When they became financially independent from us, it was like we got a giant pay raise.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I CHEERISH my solitude now that the kids are moved out!
    "Brains before Bullets"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links