Denver is throwing out the rule book. - Page 2

Denver is throwing out the rule book.

This is a discussion on Denver is throwing out the rule book. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by rodc13 The question will be if the hotel does in fact own the sidewalk, and if the terms of their deed allows ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Denver is throwing out the rule book.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rodc13 View Post
    The question will be if the hotel does in fact own the sidewalk, and if the terms of their deed allows them to restrict public access.
    It doesn't matter. In Arizona, we have laws that prohibit people from disrupting business. Thus, it is illegal to protest in front of a business, even on public property.

I still do not understand so many coming to the defense of a law breaker who disregarded lawful commands from a LEO. For those who pride themselves on obeying the law, it makes me wonder how serious they really are in that commitment. Or is it only when they agree with the law.

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    It doesn't matter. In Arizona, we have laws that prohibit people from disrupting business. Thus, it is illegal to protest in front of a business, even on public property.

I still do not understand so many coming to the defense of a law breaker who disregarded lawful commands from a LEO. For those who pride themselves on obeying the law, it makes me wonder how serious they really are in that commitment. Or is it only when they agree with the law.
    Actually, it does matter.

1) They're not in Arizona, so none of your comments about Arizona law are germane. If you know something about the Colorado law, then that would be applicable to the discussion.

2) There's nothing to indicate that anyone's business was disrupted.

3) If it's a public area, they will have to show that there was some disruption or traffic hazard or danger to public welfare or disturbance of the peace. In other words, an applicable law with an applicable offense.

4) There's no law against taking a picture of someone, especially in the case of a public figure.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Just throwing this out there... cause I really don't know.

But if it is a public sidewalk, and there's no ordinance that supports reporters on public sidewalks taking photo's is to be considered "interference with business"... then how could some security dude's, (who seems to also be a commissioned deputy) order to leave, be considered a "lawful order?"

Of course it all depends on the laws regarding ownership of the sidewalk and whether it is public or not.... and if reporters doing their job is considered interfering with the hotels business.

But, It is my understanding that the big wig power shakers in the DNC and their uberwealthy contributors didn't want to be the target of a news story about money trails.... and they got their wish. For the moment anyways.

Riddle me this Robin... If Brad Pitt was in town for a movie premier and staying at that hotel and the photographers were there actually pushing and shoving people out of the way, (unlike these reporters), would they have done the same thing? I don't think so, because that would have been publicity both Brad Pitt and the hotel would relish.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    But, It is my understanding that the big wig power shakers in the DNC and their uberwealthy contributors didn't want to be the target of a news story about money trails.... and they got their wish.
    That's the most rational statement so far. Whatever else is true, all stops are being pulled to grease the skids, this week. Do the same thing on Groundhog Day, and it's a non-issue. Put some senators and contributors on film, and you're now of particular interest for removal.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

What this has to do with the story is a mystery. I guess you're suggesting Eslocker should have shot it out with the deputies.
    Not hardly. I'm suggesting that for years, the press has been anti-gun and anti-2nd totally forgetting that the 1st Amendment is just as fragile and as easily trampled upon. They continually operate as if the 1st is some "Holy Grail" that no government agency would dare infringe upon while being eager to support trampling on the 2nd.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

+1 Hoss.... I knew what you were getting at!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

"The press" is hardly monolithic. You just can't really generalize on "the press" about anything. ABC News, in particular, has featured quite a number of pro-2A reports. Take John Stossel, for example, Gun Control Isn't Crime Control .
    Cheers,
    Rod

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    Not hardly. I'm suggesting that for years, the press has been anti-gun and anti-2nd totally forgetting that the 1st Amendment is just as fragile and as easily trampled upon. They continually operate as if the 1st is some "Holy Grail" that no government agency would dare infringe upon while being eager to support trampling on the 2nd.

Hoss
    +2 Hoss. I was with you.

In regards to the arrest, if the sidewalk is owned by the hotel it's private property. They don't need a reason to ask you to leave. It's their property. The police come and ask this guy to move. He runs his mouth and ends up in jail. Whats the big deal here?

Think how this would play out at Wally mart if you get made carrying. Them "Umm excuse me sir but we don't like people with guns here please leave". You "NO! I have rights." You could make this argument all the way up till the police arrive and take you into custody.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

"The press" is hardly monolithic. You just can't really generalize on "the press" about anything. ABC News, in particular, has featured quite a number of pro-2A reports. Take John Stossel, for example, Gun Control Isn't Crime Control .
    Actually, I can generalize based on the past performance of the vast majority of the press. The occasional pro 2nd article in the main-stream press doesn't change their color. If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a duck.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    Actually, I can generalize based on the past performance of the vast majority of the press. The occasional pro 2nd article in the main-stream press doesn't change their color. If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a duck.

Hoss
    All generalizations are false.
    Cheers,
    Rod

I'm a little confused...

Was this sidewalk in Denver, or Moscow?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    In regards to the arrest, if the sidewalk is owned by the hotel it's private property. They don't need a reason to ask you to leave. It's their property.
    Not always so. Depends on the type of title. Some property deeds require an easement for public access. If it was inside the hotel, it would be an altogether different issue. It'll be very interesting to see how this one plays out, and what's actually private property. Be interesting, too, to see if the same thing happens at the Republican convention.

When the deputy kept pushing him into the street, then claimed he was blocking traffic, that looked pretty shaky.

Mostly it'll turn into just another case of the fat cats not liking the image they're showing to the peeps.
    Cheers,
    Rod

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    .............In regards to the arrest, if the sidewalk is owned by the hotel it's private property. They don't need a reason to ask you to leave. It's their property. The police come and ask this guy to move. He runs his mouth and ends up in jail. Whats the big deal here? .............
    The question of ownership of the sidewalk is the main thing I have a problem with. Since the one article mentioned that the security guard was pushing the cameraman into the street, that would tend to indicate that the sidewalk was the only place for pedestrian traffic. If that is in fact the correct layout, I've never seen a situation where the sidewalk wasn't public property. I know in both of my business locations, that the city owns the property to 1 foot inside of the sidewalk, even though it's my responsibility to maintain the green areas outside the sidewalk. It still remains public property and as long as someone isn't interfering with my business or preventing normal pedestrian traffic, I have no right to prevent them from being on that sidewalk area. Guess we'll just have to see how it all plays out.

Hoss

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

All generalizations are false.
    Nope.
    of, pertaining to, or true of such persons or things in the main, with possible exceptions; common to most; prevalent; usual:

All dogs are animals -- a true generalization.
    All animals are dogs -- a false generalization.

Hoss

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Administrator
    Why does everyone fall for misleading headlines? Come on people, headlines are written to sell papers, and not meant to replace actually reading the article or coming up with logical conclusions on our own.

No where in the article does it say that this person was arrested for taking pictures, or being on a sidewalk. Thats simply what he was doing and where the incident began.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links