Gustav

This is a discussion on Gustav within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by jlangton I'd say the citizens of NO are even bigger idiots-the re-elected that moron. JL During Katrina, the citizens took no personal ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gustav

Quote Originally Posted by jlangton View Post
    I'd say the citizens of NO are even bigger idiots-the re-elected that moron.
    JL
    During Katrina, the citizens took no personal responsibility, they just pointed the finger at Nagin and Blanco. And the press ate it up, it was the goverment's fault.

So the population, being smart in their stupidity, elected a mayor who was good at taking the blame.

Conversely, if a storm is headed for your home in 3 days, and your home is below sea level, what is going through your brain if you decide the best thing to do is to simply sit there ?????

2. Remove Ads

hurricane

well, good luck to everyone,stay safe.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

My prayers are with you guys. stay safe and don't give them up.
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Quote Originally Posted by Shizzlemah View Post
    During Katrina, the citizens took no personal responsibility, they just pointed the finger at Nagin and Blanco. And the press ate it up, it was the goverment's fault.

So the population, being smart in their stupidity, elected a mayor who was good at taking the blame.

Conversely, if a storm is headed for your home in 3 days, and your home is below sea level, what is going through your brain if you decide the best thing to do is to simply sit there ?????
    Since you live nowhere near here-you have no idea what actually went on. Nagin allowed hundreds of school buses that were fueled up and capable of evacuating people to sit and be flooded when they could have been used to evacuate people that wanted to leave but had no means to do so. The large majority of NO's citizens are below the poverty level and have no means of transportation other than the municipal bus system-how do you expect them to leave? Many of them had no alternative but to stay put and hope for the best. That situation is but one of many, along with the infamous "gun grab of NO" that we all know happened that Nagin did nothing to stop. There was no form of organization of any kind in the local government there,and unfortunately-it all does end up at the head of local leadership. he chose the job and along with that job comes the responsibility of the safety of the citizens that elected him.
    Blanco is stupid as well-she could have requested aid even before the storm landed yet refused to do so-even after landfall. Ignorance and pride do not go far for taking care of the public.
    I notice that this time there is an evacuation procedure in place and they are at least attempting to protect the people by offering those with no means of transportation a method of escape.
    JL
    Ruger KP944 40 S&W
    Ruger P89 9mm

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    The large majority of NO's citizens are below the poverty level and have no means of transportation other than the municipal bus system-how do you expect them to leave?
    I expect them to wait for the government to help. How did that work out for them? By the way, what does 'below the poverty level' mean? Does it mean that government handouts provided them no incentive to better themselves? The 'poverty level' is a contrived government measure to enable people to exert that extra effort required to make sure they are below it to qualify for handouts from hard working Americans.

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    I expect them to wait for the government to help. How did that work out for them? By the way, what does 'below the poverty level' mean? Does it mean that government handouts provided them no incentive to better themselves? The 'poverty level' is a contrived government measure to enable people to exert that extra effort required to make sure they are below it to qualify for handouts from hard working Americans.
    I don't expect anybody to sit around and wait for anything. If it were me, I'd make sure I had a plan for myself and my family-even if it meant buying myself a bus ticket out of there. Yes, I agree that the people there have no right to expect anything, and are there from simple lack of drive to want to do better for themselves, but that crooked leech Nagin on the news whining about how he had no help and how the government didn't take care of the people of NO just pisses me off beyond belief. He heavily insinuated that it was a racial discrimination issue, when he had the means at hand to have moved hundreds,or possibly thousands out of harm's way. I live right in the path of where Rita came in just a few weeks after Katrina,and you didn't see anywhere near the media coverage of the STRONGER storm Rita that hit SE Texas/SW Louisiana. That's because by the time to "government help" arrived,we had a large portion of the damaged crap cleaned up ourselves,and took care of our own business. That's something that tells the true story about a culture and group of people and how they live and the ethics of that group of people.
    JL
    Ruger KP944 40 S&W
    Ruger P89 9mm

Exclamation

Since you live nowhere near here-you have no idea what actually went on. Nagin allowed hundreds of school buses that were fueled up and capable of evacuating people to sit and be flooded when they could have been used to evacuate people that wanted to leave but had no means to do so. The large majority of NO's citizens are below the poverty level and have no means of transportation other than the municipal bus system-how do you expect them to leave? Many of them had no alternative but to stay put and hope for the best.
    As long as I have no idea what went on I worked the second hardest week of my life in early sep 05, in NO, and I apologize profusely if you got some benefit from those efforts.

I'm not concerned with busses left sitting idle. I'm concerned with 90% of the town that wasn't smart enough to get out of the way. Yeah it would be nice if Nagin drove a shuttle bus, but aren't we all responsible for our own wellbeing ? Blame Nagin for not wiping everyone's butt.

It seems ironic that a 'poor' population would focus solely on a government based salvation. That government hasn't been good to them, but it's all they know (hence Nagin's reelection)

Quote Originally Posted by Shizzlemah View Post
    As long as I have no idea what went on I worked the second hardest week of my life in early sep 05, in NO, and I apologize profusely if you got some benefit from those efforts.

I'm not concerned with busses left sitting idle. I'm concerned with 90% of the town that wasn't smart enough to get out of the way. Yeah it would be nice if Nagin drove a shuttle bus, but aren't we all responsible for our own wellbeing ? Blame Nagin for not wiping everyone's butt.

It seems ironic that a 'poor' population would focus solely on a government based salvation. That government hasn't been good to them, but it's all they know (hence Nagin's reelection)
    I didn't get any benefit from anything in NO,but I will applaud you being there to assist those folks. I saw the real Ray Nagin using every possible opportunity with the media to blame everybody but himself for the problems that happened post-Katrina in NO. Was he totally responsible? No. Was it his responsibility to protect all of the people there? No. Could he have helped out the situation by using the available resources to have protected the people there? Absolutely,and he chose not to. He did however, choose it as a perfect time to criticize every government agency that came in to assist and insinuate that the "slow response" was because of racial prejudice. I have no tolerance for that opportunistic leech mentality.
    JL
    Ruger KP944 40 S&W
    Ruger P89 9mm

And that I agree with.

While the folks should have been smarter than to sit there, they knew what was coming. I agree that Nagin could have mobilized everything with wheels and rolled everyone out of town. Was it his ultimare responsibility? No, but it sure would have been nice. Heck if I was heading out of town, any free space in the back of my truck would be fine for hitchhikers.

Long and short of it, I don't understand the mentality of the average NO citizen. I grew up a yankee and have a deep 'self reliant' streak.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Is it legal to carry [openly] a loaded rifle in LA and MS?
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    Good luck. I live in Florida and I watch all these storms. I'm sure it's not your first and it won't be the last.
    +1hope you tunn out ok There is another one comming not too far behind

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links