Gustav

Gustav

This is a discussion on Gustav within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I don't live near the gulf coast, but good grief, Gustav looks like it's headed right to my house. We'll be okay, it'll probably pass ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gustav

VIP Member

Gustav

I don't live near the gulf coast, but good grief, Gustav looks like it's headed right to my house.

We'll be okay, it'll probably pass near us sometimes next week, but will have slowed down as it travels north and crosses land. We've got plenty of provisions, a stout house and we'll hunker down right here.

If I can access the internet I'll come back to this thread next week and post some current updates if any are worth reporting. I'll get my wind gauge out also.
    Attached Images
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I thought Katrina was bad, but these idiots up here where I am are already crazy. It's almost a week from hitting and they are lining up at the pumps. Every station I passed coming home had traffic lined up in the road waiting to get into the station. Not to mention the fact that gas went up 28 cents since 10:00 yesterday morning. Hopefully it won't get too bad, but just in case me and my neighbors are already planning the cookout for afterwards if the power goes out. No since in letting any meats go to waste.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Home depot in Brandon, MS had sold $85,000. in generators alone from 6am until 8:30 a.m. today There is no telling what the total day's sales were. That was going on at all 5 Home Depots in the area.
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Good luck. I live in Florida and I watch all these storms. I'm sure it's not your first and it won't be the last.

eww
    Not to bad on the coast yet. Everybody seems to be just watching for now.
    Last edited by eww; August 29th, 2008 at 07:35 PM.

Administrator
    That sure looks like a BIG one. Be careful. Get Prepared.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I live about 40 miles from the coast. Not looking to good for us at the time, but I think it's still to early to tell where exactly it's going to hit. Got my camper ready to roll if it comes to that. The gas stations around here are packed. I'm glad I already filled up both of my cars and gas cans. Hurricanes suck!
    Ruger GP100 .357 mag
    Ruger p-90 .45acp
    Taurus PT-140 acp
    Rossi .357 mag
    Hi-point .45 acp
    DTI AR-15

I'm approx 90 miles inland in Texas,and the 2 local fuel stations are already out of regular unleaded,and almost out of mid-grade at the non-blending station. I did the electrical work on the non-blending station,and they have a capacity of 10K gallons of regular,5K gallons of mid-grade and 5K gallons of premium.
    Can't find a gas can around here anywhere either.
    JL
    Ruger KP944 40 S&W
    Ruger P89 9mm

OH Baby, is moving to the Memphis Tennessee area after Katrina ever looking like it is paying of in a big way right now! We are so very happy right now to not live anywhere near the Gulf Coast.

I hope it takes a big turn away from the US Coast but it doesn't look like it is going to. Batten down the hatches and get ready for it.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    So...for those of you in the path...what happens if post KATRINA gun grab type operations occur in your locale?
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

VIP Member
    I'm not an expert on the NO gun-grab. I did "hear" that most of the confiscation was done by out-of-state agencies that came to NO to help out. IIRC since then, there has been some additional clarification of laws passed to prevent that from happening again.

Keep in mind that the major damage to NO was from the flooding, which stranded so many people, and took recovery/rescue to a different level, so post-hurricane affects were very unique.

I had a high-ranking LSP who was directly involved, tell me that many of the shot's fired reports in NO were somewhat false.....of course the media exaggerated it all either way. He said that often groups of people would report that shots were being fired near their address, to bring the police in their area and attention to their plight, and subsequent rescue. I would wager some of the shots were actually fired by the residents themselves to attract the police. In saying this, I'm sure there were some shots fired by BG's, though not all of them.

BTW Rita was right behind Katrina though it passed up NO and went into the SW part of the state. No gun grabs there that I ever heard about. In fact people instantly were helping others in recovery and rescue. Locals had their trucks, boats, equipment out and helping rescue's as soon as possible, btw some were open-carrying. Different part of the state.....different deal. I think the same thing was true in Mississippi after Katrina.

To answer your question, if the hurricane passes through here (I'm not near NO) certainly it might cause some destruction, though minimal flooding since we're much above sea level. I know, and have worked with, most of the leo's in and around our community, I can't imagine any of them going house to house and seizing guns.

If looters appeared in the area, and they happen to be armed, the leo's here will deal with them appropriately. If the threat of looters was real, the leo's would tell us what we already know and would be doing anyway. Take turns keeping watch over your community, arm yourself as necessary, be careful and call us if you need us. Then they'd zoom off to some other task more urgent.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I'm think about developing a new city and I'm looking for backers.
    My idea is to find a nice low spot near an ocean or large gulf and then dig a huge hole.

After the huge area (many square miles) is completely cleared of any high land, we'll then build homes and places of business, you know, we'll really pour money into the place.

Then we'll just hope that the large water mass that we've built next to, never floods us...

Why did the idiots rebuild New Orleans?
    Oh, I know why...because someone else (you and me) paid for it.

Sorry...OMO!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I'm think about developing a new city and I'm looking for backers.
    My idea is to find a nice low spot near an ocean or large gulf and then dig a huge hole.

After the huge area (many square miles) is completely cleared of any high land, we'll then build homes and places of business, you know, we'll really pour money into the place.

Then we'll just hope that the large water mass that we've built next to, never floods us...

Why did the idiots rebuild New Orleans?
    Oh, I know why...because someone else (you and me) paid for it.

Sorry...OMO!

There are easier ways to get a Government grant
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

I watched Ray Nagins interview yesterday. I did not think it was possible for a person to become a bigger idiot, but he has done it. Hopefully everyone will get through this unharmed.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Quote Originally Posted by deadeye72 View Post
    I watched Ray Nagins interview yesterday. I did not think it was possible for a person to become a bigger idiot, but he has done it. Hopefully everyone will get through this unharmed.
    I'd say the citizens of NO are even bigger idiots-the re-elected that moron.
    JL
    Ruger KP944 40 S&W
    Ruger P89 9mm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links