Firefox 3.0.1 location bar help?

This is a discussion on Firefox 3.0.1 location bar help? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This is driving me nuts. I've looked around a bit and most complaints are about the two tier setup and info is about that or ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firefox 3.0.1 location bar help?

Angry Firefox 3.0.1 location bar help?

This is driving me nuts. I've looked around a bit and most complaints are about the two tier setup and info is about that or clearing the history in the address bar.

I don't want to clear the history in the location bar, I just want it to remember sites I've typed in directly, nothing more. I can cope with the two tier thing, but my history of seventy links I've clicked absolutely kills the usefulness of the bar, because I can't find my daily click links. Anyone know how to make the address bar stop recording my history and function like it did with previous versions?

Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I hope someone posts the answer because I have the same problem and complaint.

It is (it seems) a goofy set up and I'm seriously thinking of using IE 7 again because of my dissatisfaction with the location bar.

VIP Member
    Slightly off-topic, but I too have had a Firefox problem since 3.0.1 was installed. My bookmarks folder has absolutely vanished. Searches of my entire computer (admittedly with the abysmal Vista Home Basic search engine) do not find the folder anywhere. No one at Mozilla could help me....

If anyone has ideas, please let us know!
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

VIP Member
    Is this what you need?

Clearing Location bar history
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    Is this what you need?

Clearing Location bar history
    Afraid not. It can clear the history for a moment, until I begin clicking again. I think I'm going back to an older version tomorrow if I can't find a solution.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!

VIP Member
    I DLed 3.0.1 this morning and I know what you mean. If found links from stuff I never browsed in Firefox.... but I did in IE!
    I cleared IE but I am still getting some stuff in Firefox
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Quote Originally Posted by falcon1 View Post
    Slightly off-topic, but I too have had a Firefox problem since 3.0.1 was installed. My bookmarks folder has absolutely vanished. Searches of my entire computer (admittedly with the abysmal Vista Home Basic search engine) do not find the folder anywhere. No one at Mozilla could help me....

If anyone has ideas, please let us know!
    I've had this happen on previous FireFox applications, now every now and again, I'll take a pic of my bookmarks. No problem with 3.0.0 or 3.0.1, yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I hope someone posts the answer because I have the same problem and complaint.

It is (it seems) a goofy set up and I'm seriously thinking of using IE 7 again because of my dissatisfaction with the location bar.
    EEGADS! Nothing is so bad as to require that.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

have you tried going to tools/options/privacy/ and setting the "keep my history" to zero days ?
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

Quote Originally Posted by usmcj View Post
    have you tried going to tools/options/privacy/ and setting the "keep my history" to zero days ?
    But I do want a history in my address bar dropdown, but only a history of what I typed into it, not every doggone thing I click on. I don't need 2500 links to every DC.Com thread I've looked at. Every page of every thread, for that matter.

well sir, unless I'm missing something, that should do what you want. My history is completely different from my address bar drop-down window. My drop-down only has in it a URL or URL's that I have typed into the window. I make extensive use of the bookmarks toolbar, and don't type into the address window all that often. I've got my history set to retain only for 48 hours.
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

I just got the little box informing me that the new version was available and asked me if I wanted to download it. I clicked "never" and will not be going to the new version for the time being. Not after reading this thread. I like what I have right now. It is easy to use and easy to navigate.

Thanks for the heads up cupcake!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Just not gettin it. My "keep my history" is set to zero days, but every link I click shows up in my address bar. I can delete them no problem, but it really sucks. Back to the last version for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    This is driving me nuts. I've looked around a bit and most complaints are about the two tier setup and info is about that or clearing the history in the address bar.

I don't want to clear the history in the location bar, I just want it to remember sites I've typed in directly, nothing more. I can cope with the two tier thing, but my history of seventy links I've clicked absolutely kills the usefulness of the bar, because I can't find my daily click links. Anyone know how to make the address bar stop recording my history and function like it did with previous versions?

Do what I did and delete the new version and re-install Firefox/2.0.0.16. I hated the 3.0 version. All of your previously saved history, bookmarks, etc. will come back with it. At least mine did.
    ... whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one. (Luke 22:36b NASB)
    FN Herstal FNP-9, FNP-357, Kahr TP45
    Ruger LCP, S&W 22a
    http://revderb.blogspot.com

I am not sure I understand what you are trying to do, History? Bookmarks? Search Bar?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links