Really Bad - 2-yr old Kills Self

This is a discussion on Really Bad - 2-yr old Kills Self within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Baby kills self with parent gun that was STORED UNDER A PILLOW!! Parent obviously used placed it there at night and then forgot the next ...

Thread: Really Bad - 2-yr old Kills Self

Really Bad - 2-yr old Kills Self

Baby kills self with parent gun that was STORED UNDER A PILLOW!! Parent obviously used placed it there at night and then forgot the next day with horrendous consequences. I say one of the parents is going to jail.

Parents' Gun Used In Boy's Fatal Shooting - Connecticut News Story - WFSB Hartford

JEWETT CITY, Conn. -- Police are investigating whether a toddler used a gun stored beneath a pillow in a Jewett City home in what is being called an accidental shooting.

Lt. Paul Vance of the state police said that 2-year-old Wyatt Matteau died after shooting himself in the face with his parents' gun.

Wyatt was airlifted to Hartford Hospital after the shooting at a home on Green Avenue at about 9:30 a.m, Vance said.

The boy's parents were home with Wyatt and their infant daughter, police said, but Wyatt was alone in a room when the shooting occurred....

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    This occurred about 15 miles from me, what an unspeakable tragedy. I do agree that probably one of the parents is looking at doing time, considering the gun laws in this state:

Sec. 29-37i. (Formerly Sec. 29-37c). Responsibilities re storage of loaded firearms with respect to minors. No person shall store or keep any loaded firearm on any premises under his control if he knows or reasonably should know that a minor is likely to gain access to the firearm without the permission of the parent or guardian of the minor unless such person (1) keeps the firearm in a securely locked box or other container or in a location which a reasonable person would believe to be secure or (2) carries the firearm on his person or within such close proximity thereto that he can readily retrieve and use it as if he carried it on his person. For the purposes of this section, "minor" means any person under the age of sixteen years.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Senior Moderator
    Nothing "accidental" about this, IMHO.

Criminally culpable negligence bordering on a depraved indifference to human life.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Administrator
    And Gee just think a cheap, simple, "Made In China" Hook & Eye cabinet door latch that costs .39 Cents and that takes all of 2 minutes to install - mounted 5 feet up on the bedroom door and their 2 year old kid would still be alive and rambunctious today.

Asinine stupidity and laziness runs rampant these days.

Let the crying, whining, and bucketload of pitiful excuses begin.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    Nothing "accidental" about this, IMHO.

Criminally culpable negligence bordering on a depraved indifference to human life.
    Yup.

Tragic. Completely avoidable.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

No winners here...this makes me cringe...so avoidable!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Disgusting. Even more so when you break it down and realize that toddlers don't have finger strength so they use their thumbs to pull the trigger. No excuse for not locking it up, but at least have it out of reach.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    When you have young kids in the house NO LOADED guns in the house !
    This shouldn't of happened and no amount of jail time will punish this parent.

Quote Originally Posted by Stetson View Post
    When you have young kids in the house NO LOADED guns in the house !
    That's going a little too far I think. An unloaded gun provides zero defense capability.

But having the gun secured, either on your person or in a locked but quickly accessable (to adults) storage container is not only the prudent thing to do, it is also quite simple and cheap to do.

Gun does not need to be unloaded, but to have it secured from young children is a moral imperative!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    agreed Bark'n
    if its not on my hip, its locked in the safe or in the closet, same with the wife

horrible situation, no jail time they may get will come close to the huge dark hole they now have in their hearts
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    That's going a little too far I think. An unloaded gun provides zero defense capability.

But having the gun secured, either on your person or in a locked but quickly accessable (to adults) storage container is not only the prudent thing to do, it is also quite simple and cheap to do.

Gun does not need to be unloaded, but to have it secured from young children is a moral imperative!
    Not even getting into storage, WTH is a two year old doing unsupervised? There should be no opportunity for a two year old child to access any number of things, guns included. Toothpaste, household cleaners, mouthwash, rat poison, ammonia, toilet water, all things potentially hazardous to a small child, and rarely locked up.
    Why was a two year old left alone? Having a child requires vigilance. You don't just go to sleep in the recliner and let the kid wander...
    Sad.
    "Water can flow, or it can crash. Be like water, my friend."-Bruce Lee

My Blog

"Luck, often enough, will save a man if his courage does hold."

I have a 4 yr daughter and a 1.5 yr son. I'm telling you, the awareness of a zen buddhist is required! This is not an excuse for losing track of the toddler, but a well known fact which is why they sell child-safety door knob covers and the like. Stuff like this boils my blood.

I don't see much reason to keep a gun loaded if its not on your hip.

Load the mags, keep them locked up next to each other, but if your primary 6-10rnds aren't enough, that extra 2 seconds it takes slap & rack isnt going to matter anyways IMO
    We are only as vulnerable as we are naive.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    agreed Bark'n
    if its not on my hip, its locked in the safe or in the closet, same with the wife
    You lock your wife in the safe? Man, I'd be in a lot of trouble after doing that.

Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Links