Beware: Gun Confiscation

This is a discussion on Beware: Gun Confiscation within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; there has to be a reason he decided to take your guns. It was wrong of him to do so but he does have your ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Beware: Gun Confiscation

there has to be a reason he decided to take your guns. It was wrong of him to do so but he does have your best interests in mind. If it was anyone but your father I would call the cops. You can probably talk this out with him. If he's anything like my parents were, they are probably hidden in the attic or stashed in the house. I'm not telling you to root through your parents house. I don't know where I sit on this issue since you are an adult. Still getting into it with your parents at 22? Is alcohol involved?

By the way. 9 guns at 22 is very impressive. You shall have quite a collection someday.
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Time to grow up and get your own place if you want to live life fully on your terms.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

bae
    I'd ask real nicely for him to give them back, then I'd call the police and report them stolen. You're an adult.

He pays rent of $200, he has every right as a tenant
    even if he was paying only $50 for rent, tenants paying rent still has rights, .

His term at home may be limited or change should he complain, but what his father did was against the law.

You cant take and remove peoples personal property without notice.

Your a renter,he has brokenthe law,what do you want to do about it,if you report iy to the police i'm sure you will get your guns back but without you willing to press charges your dad will not be charged with the theft,but i'm assuming that will come with an eviction notice if he feels guns in the house are a threat.It's possible he could of read about AD's from irresponsible gun owners or some water cooler chat from an Anti that made him get rid of them
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    We don't know both sides of the story.....only the son's. IMHO, by suggesting that the father be charged with theft is running through the options far too fast. We don't know what the son may have done that preceded this, he could have done something that was a felony himself and the father opted not to have him arrested and just try to handle it in a personal family matter.

The fact that he's paying rent doesn't give the son total immunity. Actually I own rent property and rent it out, just because they pay rent to me, they still have to abide by the "rules", or out they go.

It's a fact we clearly don't have any input from the father's side of the story, so this makes the whole situation suspect to me.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
    Report the firearms stolen to the police. Of course, it will get your father arrested, but then you will have your guns back and be out on the street.
    Report your guns stolen...
    Offer him a chance to 'find' them...
    If not...
    Have him arrested...
    Find your own place...
    Get your guns back...
    Shake hands and agree to try harder next time...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

My only thought is:

If I had nine firearms I would have them in a SAFE for my own security as well as that of my family.

Bosco

Unless there is a signed agreement prior to renting he can not impose restrictions that weren't allowed when he started renting,and the fact he allowed him to own firearms for a length of time prior proves he had knowledge and rented to him,but it is a month to month and dad can give 30 days notice to move,but the son is an adult and dad cannot just take his personal property.
    There is a possible solution ask your dad if you get a gun safe and allow him to keep the key if you can keep the guns at his house,that way you know where they are at and he has control over access
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    We don't know both sides of the story.....only the son's. IMHO, by suggesting that the father be charged with theft is running through the options far too fast. We don't know what the son may have done that preceded this, he could have done something that was a felony himself and the father opted not to have him arrested and just try to handle it in a personal family matter.

The fact that he's paying rent doesn't give the son total immunity. Actually I own rent property and rent it out, just because they pay rent to me, they still have to abide by the "rules", or out they go.
    Yes, but even if they don't abide by the rules you would not have license to enter the premises and remove their property. You could begin eviction proceedings, but you would have absolutely no legal standing to seize property and transfer it to another person for storage.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Senior Moderator
    Um, I have some bad news for the OP:

Ohio law requires the reporting of lost or stolen firearms.

2923.20 Unlawful transaction in weapons.
    (A) No person shall:

(1) Recklessly sell, lend, give, or furnish any firearm to any person prohibited by section 2923.13 or 2923.15 of the Revised Code from acquiring or using any firearm, or recklessly sell, lend, give, or furnish any dangerous ordnance to any person prohibited by section 2923.13, 2923.15, or 2923.17 of the Revised Code from acquiring or using any dangerous ordnance;

(2) Possess any firearm or dangerous ordnance with purpose to dispose of it in violation of division (A) of this section;

(3) Manufacture, possess for sale, sell, or furnish to any person other than a law enforcement agency for authorized use in police work, any brass knuckles, cestus, billy, blackjack, sandbag, switchblade knife, springblade knife, gravity knife, or similar weapon;

(4) When transferring any dangerous ordnance to another, negligently fail to require the transferee to exhibit such identification, license, or permit showing him to be authorized to acquire dangerous ordnance pursuant to section 2923.17 of the Revised Code, or negligently fail to take a complete record of the transaction and forthwith forward a copy of that record to the sheriff of the county or safety director or police chief of the municipality where the transaction takes place;

(5) Knowingly fail to report to law enforcement authorities forthwith the loss or theft of any firearm or dangerous ordnance in the person’s possession or under the person’s control.

(B) Whoever violates this section is guilty of unlawful transactions in weapons. A violation of division (A)(1) or (2) of this section is a felony of the fourth degree. A violation of division (A)(3) or (4) of this section is a misdemeanor of the second degree. A violation of division (A)(5) of this section is a misdemeanor of the fourth degree.
    It seems your choices here are very limited. You do not know where the guns have been taken, and you do not know that the person who has them is not a prohibited person.

Under the law, you will be in criminal violation if you do not report the guns having been taken.

I'd suggest you show the code section above to your father and ask him is he expects you to go to jail for his convictions.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Why would a father, in the interest of safety, give the guns to someone else? I'll bet there is no someone else, he has them and told you that so you didn't search.

Dad was in the wrong for taking property. The OP is covered by a rental contract, and thus can keep whatever he likes in his room. Note if the OP has something illegal, it's up to the PD to get a warrant and remove it.

OP: tell your dad that you are forced to report the loss of the firearms. If he doesn't give up, call the PD and make it official. Last thing you need is to be doing something illegal (not reporting). Esp since they are registered to you and are your responsibility....

If things are as you say, you could talk to the PD (the full story) and then the PD would likely talk to your dad to get the items back. Nobody wants to see your dad in jail, etc, and I believe the PD would rather talk it out instead.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    Yes, but even if they don't abide by the rules you would not have license to enter the premises and remove their property. You could begin eviction proceedings, but you would have absolutely no legal standing to seize property and transfer it to another person for storage.

Matt
    I've previously spoken with an attorney about that very issue. Certainly, I can't seize a renters stereo because he parked on my grass, but I can seize his property and put it in storage for non-payment, abandonment, etc. I've done it before. My whole point was that just paying rent doesn't give you absolute rights to do whatever you want in the place you rent.

Back to the topic of the thread though. I think it's a very big mistake for one family member to arrest the other over this. Legally the son might be on firm ground, but as I've previously stated we don't have input from the father and I think advising the son to arrest his father is doing a disservice to both of them.

There is too much we don't know, and hearing the story only from the son is essentially a "kangaroo court thread" against the father.

I can tell you this, if my son were involved in drugs, alcohol, or threatened me in some manner, you bet I'd take his guns away at the first opportunity. Now if the father woke up one morning and decided he was joining the Brady Bunch, and took the sons guns, that's a different situation altogether. My point is......which situation is it?

If the father is trying to protect his household and make it safe, I'm going to follow the signature line I see here so much, "I'd rather be judged by 12, rather than carried by 6".
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    Um, I have some bad news for the OP:

Ohio law requires the reporting of lost or stolen firearms.

It seems your choices here are very limited. You do not know where the guns have been taken, and you do not know that the person who has them is not a prohibited person.

Under the law, you will be in criminal violation if you do not report the guns having been taken.

I'd suggest you show the code section above to your father and ask him is he expects you to go to jail for his convictions.

Matt
    Matt is onto something here. Even if you never intend to turn your dad in this would be a great bluff. Show him the law and tell him it's time to involve the police. Tell him that you are not going to jail for him. Oh, and GO GET YOUR OWN PLACE!
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links