Beware: Gun Confiscation

This is a discussion on Beware: Gun Confiscation within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; First some background: So for those of you who don't know me, I am a 22 year old Ohioan. I've been collecting firearms since i ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Beware: Gun Confiscation

Beware: Gun Confiscation

First some background:
    So for those of you who don't know me, I am a 22 year old Ohioan. I've been collecting firearms since i was 17, shooting since 15. I am temporarily living with my parents while i try and finish of my college degree.
    I have a great family, five siblings, parents are still married, etc...

My dad and I get along for the most part. Like most people at our respective ages living under the same roof we feel the need to occasionally have a territorial head-butting match that usually ends with a vow to "work on that" and a handshake. I am allowed a fair measure of privacy in the form of a digital combination deadbolt on my bedroom door, of which only he and I have the code.

Why am I telling you this? Because yesterday afternoon I returned home from work to find my entire room bare of any of my firearms. It seems that in a fit of "moral conviction" my dad has confiscated every single one of my 9+ firearms and gave them to someone for "safekeeping".

He will not tell me where they are being kept.
    He will not tell me who is currently in possession of them.
    He will not allow me to go to where they are an ensure that they are locked and/or rendered inoperable.

Here's the kicker - I recently submitted my application for my CCW permit, still waiting to get a call to go pick it up. As such my SP101 stays at home when I go to work, in a holster on the back side of my headboard/nightstand. Loaded.
    It was among those taken.

When i confronted him about this, his response was an incredulous "well i dont know how to tell if its loaded or not"

While i typically rely on the deadbolt on my 2nd floor bedroom door to ensure my firearms stay out of the wrong hands, i realize that i was irresponsible to not have all of them locked up individually.

For all i know he gave them to someone even more firearm illiterate than he is.

What the hell should I do? I am truly at my wits end. I cant sleep knowing that someone out there has my guns and probably hasnt the first clue how to safely handle/store them.
    We are only as vulnerable as we are naive.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I know its not what you want to hear, but its his house; therefore, his rules. It stinks, but thats the price of free rent.

I wouldnt be happy about the way he went about it myself. I'd offer to store them offsite yourself, that way you know where they are. Perhaps though there is more to this story than we know.

Sorry 'bout your luck.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Report the firearms stolen to the police. Of course, it will get your father arrested, but then you will have your guns back and be out on the street.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

i would explain to him that you want to be sure that your weapons are in safe hands, because should something happen with them, your name is attached to that serial number. let him go with you and maybe you can show him a few things about them. possibly even come to an agreement about having them kept in the house but in a small safe.

good luck with everything.

Mike
    NREMT-B

"Dead is dead"
    "Yea, till we show up with jumper cables and drugs to debate it"

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    He has the right to set conditions for staying at his house. No doubt about that! And you KNOW there is no such thing as a free lunch.

But he has no right to steal your property, which is what he did.

Choose what you want to do: stay and live with his rules, or politely move out and ask for your property back. I doubt it would be prudent to file a police report if you wish to maintain any sort of relationship.

An alternative would be off-site secure storage, such as at the home of one of YOUR friends (with appropriate COM safes or similar).

Rough go. You might take him out for a beer and ask him what his concerns really are: it could be that simply buying a gun safe would do the trick for him. Or, if his concerns are based on his interpretation of Scripture, point him to some of the pertinent threads here.

At the least, you should discuss with him that he's taken on the liability for any injuries or deaths that come as a result of your firearms not being secured properly. If you still want to live there, maybe you can arrange for him to retrieve them for you to 'safe' them and secure them in lockable cases for him to return to his pal's place.

Thats really what i'm getting at. I know its his house and if he had come and talked to me i'd have locked them up, removed critical components, and THEN turned them over to him.
    Really, i understand where hes coming from, but there simply no way in hell i am ever going to be ok with him giving a loaded gun to someone i dont know WITHOUT EVEN KNOWING IT WAS LOADED. I cannot possibly think of a better scenario for an ND.

i dont know how this person is storing them, i dont know if he/she has small children. I dont know anything about the situation other than the fact that there are guns I am responsible for, fully loaded, and not in my possession.

Sure i want my guns back, but if i have to wait til i move out, so be it.
    But the only way i am prepared to tolerate my gun, condition 1 in someone else's hands is at the range.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I know its not what you want to hear, but its his house; therefore, his rules. It stinks, but thats the price of free rent.

Sorry 'bout your luck.
    Rent is $200 a month plus all personal bills (phone, car/health insurance) but food.

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    Rough go. You might take him out for a beer and ask him what his concerns really are: it could be that simply buying a gun safe would do the trick for him. Or, if his concerns are based on his interpretation of Scripture, point him to some of the pertinent threads here.
    Not a bad idea. He is a strong believer, especially in the "Honor thy mother and father" bit. I dont disagree with him but in my mind obedience gives way in the face of extreme prudence and preserving life.

At the least, you should discuss with him that he's taken on the liability for any injuries or deaths that come as a result of your firearms not being secured properly. If you still want to live there, maybe you can arrange for him to retrieve them for you to 'safe' them and secure them in lockable cases for him to return to his pal's place.
    I've tried it every way i know how. He is totally unwilling to let me come into contact with them till further notice. I even asked if i could call the person in question and talk them through disassembly process. no go.

VIP Member
    He has the right to set conditions for staying at his house. No doubt about that! And you KNOW there is no such thing as a free lunch.

But he has no right to steal your property, which is what he did.
    This is really a tough situation, and I'm sorry for both of you that it happened. That said, I must agree with Paymeister: while he does indeed have the right to set conditions for staying at his house, he took your legally owned firearms without permission. He is morally responsible, if not legally also, for any harm that may be caused by them not being handled properly.

I can imagine how difficult this will be (as it would have been for me if my father and I had ever had such a "break"), but I fear you have no alternative but to move out at the very first opportunity (sooner, not later), and to tell him frankly that if any trouble in the form of a police investigation comes to your new door because of his actions, you will send the police directly to his house and will cooperate fully with whatever investigations the police make into his conduct.

I know the Good Book says to honor your parents. But, it also says this: "Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger...." Ephesians 6:4.

I believe he has stepped way over the line, whether he sees it that way or not.

I hope he will reconsider, and I hope all ends well for both of you quickly.

What, by the way, does your mother have to say about all of this?
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Administrator
    Are you sure that his reason for confiscating your firearms was a sudden influx of "totally unrelated moral conviction" or is it possible that one of your territorial head butting matches has left him with the impression that you might possibly lose your temper some day and do something really terrible?

I don't know you at all so I'm just asking the question based on nothing but, curiosity.

Maybe he believes that he is protecting himself and his family from you.

Something has obviously made him suddenly decide that he no longer wants any firearms under his roof or in your possession.

My personal opinion is that since he has confiscated your firearms out of your locked room and refuses to divulge their location to you even after you have expressed safety concerns - that he has assumed all legal liability in the event of a possible accident or mishap.
    I'm not a lawyer though so that is just a common sense best guess on my part.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slimz13 View Post

Why am I telling you this? Because yesterday afternoon I returned home from work to find my entire room bare of any of my firearms. It seems that in a fit of "moral conviction" my dad has confiscated every single one of my 9+ firearms and gave them to someone for "safekeeping".

Sorry about your bad luck, but I'm wondering if there is something missing in your story? It seems strange that your father suddenly acquired a "moral conviction"? Did something previously happen between you two that was the catalyst for your gun confiscation?

My wife and I raised two kids, and I was 22 years old at one time and like others I have a little experience in this. I can understand you being upset, and I can understand your fathers position also, though I'm not sure of exactly what motivated him. If my kids were living with me in my house (rent pay or not) and there was some element they possessed that I felt endangered us/them and no agreement could be made to remedy it, I'd confiscate it too. For whatever reason, it looks like your Dad got your attention. Offer your Dad the opportunity to post a reply here so we can understand his side.

Both of my kids knew that if there was any alcohol involved in driving, they'd lose the car keys. I'd rather they be angry with me for my assertion, as opposed to them being killed in a car accident. To do nothing, invites disaster.

There is no great advice I can give you other than solving the reason of why he took the guns in the first place. I hope things work out well soon with you and your dad. To get along with your dad, you've both got to cooperate, and I don't necessarily mean 50:50, you may have to do more.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Depending on who bought the weapons, I.e. any that YOU purchased, you could point out that technically, he just cimmited a felony (theft of a firearm).
    legally, he may have the right to ban them from his house, but if you purchased them, he has no legal right to take them.

Additionally, you might want to warn him that because those weapons are registered to you (don't know what you state's laws are, but if you bought them, someone has your name on that Serial Number), and they are no longer in your control, that your are legall and morally bound to report their disappearance to the police in case they are ever used in a crime, or are involved in an AD/ND. (that gives you the hook to explaint hat police will likely see that removal of these weapons as a crime.
    Last edited by tflhndn; August 31st, 2008 at 12:54 AM. Reason: addition

Rent is $200 a month plus all personal bills (phone, car/health insurance) but food.
    It seems to me that 200 is about half the rent for a decent 2 bedroom apartment and odds are you have a friend who is also looking to get out of their parents house. maybe your own place is the answer.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    He will not tell me where they are being kept.
    He will not tell me who is currently in possession of them.
    He will not allow me to go to where they are an ensure that they are locked and/or rendered inoperable.
    For some strange reason...I feel like there is more to the story. Father takes 9 guns from you...Why? Always two sides to every story. Regardless, I assume the weapons are registered in your name, I would be concerned for their security as well. Your 22...an adult. As such, I would discuss with your Dad what options you have or don't have. It may come down to getting the law involved...but I hope that cooler heads will prevail and you resolve your predicament.

Rick

Administrator
    One other thing that you need to realize is that there is no place that you are going to find to live with a rent of $200 per month.
    Possibly one room in a public flop house.
    So even though you ARE paying some rent (which is admirable) your Father is really doing you a favor by allowing you to live under his roof at 22 years of age.
    Granted that if circumstances were ideal and everything was coming up roses any Father would provide a roof for his Son while his kid was in school trying to better himself.
    So obviously things are likely not perfect there and there is some friction.

You could try to find a few friends to live with and share rent and expenses.
    That would get you into another place and then your Dad would have to give you your legal property back.

But, if you report your firearms stolen by your Father and the Police come to the house to investigate the situation then you get present your side of the story and your Father will tell his side of the story and it will all be documented in the official police report.

If he makes a statement to the police who are filling out a "stolen guns" or incident report that he feels that you are a possible danger to yourself or others...and that is the reason why he had your firearms removed from his home...then that will very likely affect your ability to get your Ohio license to carry concealed.

So...if you don't want that can of worms opened up then I would probably not file a stolen gun report with the Police.

Again...I am not a lawyer but, that is just a guess on my part.

VIP Member
    Me thinks there is more to this story. Poor behavior on your part maybe? Some type of threat or gross lack of responsibility? Real or perceived? Either way you're old enough to have your own place. Get to it lad.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links