Pit Bulls Maul 70-Year Old in NY

This is a discussion on Pit Bulls Maul 70-Year Old in NY within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I know I'm pretty much preaching to the choir, but I feel we need to keep issues like these out in the public, to help ...

Thread: Pit Bulls Maul 70-Year Old in NY

Pit Bulls Maul 70-Year Old in NY

I know I'm pretty much preaching to the choir, but I feel we need to keep issues like these out in the public, to help pass ordinances to keep these dogs out of our neighborhoods. This happened near Rochester, NY

=========================================

Pit Bulls Maul 70-Year Old in Chili - 13WHAM.com

Chili, N.Y.) - A morning walk took a frightening and life-threatening turn for a Chili man Friday.

He was attacked and seriously injured by three pit bulls. The three are now locked up at Chili Animal Control.

“Never seen anything like it, it was like a zombie movie,” said witness Scott Quenell.

The dogs mauled Thomas Tziatzou, 70, on Chili Avenue.

Scott Quennell could barely believe what he saw. "The bag moved, what I thought was a bag…and it was a guy. I saw the guy's head. I went up there and the dogs mauled this guy.”

Quennell and several other witnesses called 911 and tried scaring off the dogs with their cars.

"He had so many wounds!” Quennell said. “I gave him some paper towels to put on his neck.”

Sam Sanchez owns the dogs. He and his four kids are devastated by what happened.

"How did they get out? I have no idea,” Sanchez said. “All I know is my front door is open. The kids are screaming. I go outside. The next thing I know, a gentleman is suffering.”

Sanchez said he's never known his pets to be dangerous, yet that's how sheriff’s deputies describe them.

Sanchez said, "They're telling me they might put my dogs down. I understand. If my dogs were to attack somebody, in my presence, I'd put them down myself.” But that's for the Town of Chili to decide.

"What can I do right now and say? If I could swap it right now, if God could grant me the privilege to swap souls, life, whatever, I’d do it in a heartbeat,” Sanchez said.

Thomas Tziatzou is listed in satisfactory condition at Strong Memorial Hospital.

It’s up to sheriff deputies, the district attorney's office and the humane society to decide if there will be criminal charges.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

2. Remove Ads

Another "Oh my sweet Pit is SOO nice with the kids, how could it do this?" story. These owners need to be locked up, and hopefully will. Something needs to stop the idiocy. IMO these are wild animals, maybe socialized to a small group at home, and not safe to strangers. Too many Pit owners are in denial (NOT a river in Egypt!).

Quote Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
    Another "Oh my sweet Pit is SOO nice with the kids, how could it do this?" story. These owners need to be locked up, and hopefully will. Something needs to stop the idiocy. IMO these are wild animals, maybe socialized to a small group at home, and not safe to strangers. Too many Pit owners are in denial (NOT a river in Egypt!).
    Agreed on the owners, although locking them up wont do any good. The dogs should be put down.
    but
    Once again...training. I'll agree, they're an agressive breed to start with, but training training training.

Funny, I just had mine out to my grandmothers place today for a cookout(and consequently my aunts too since they live next door to each other).

My pit (the dangerous, evil, ferrocious, demon dog she is) managed to allow HYPER kids of a different home that she had NEVER seen before, come up and hang on her, pull her ears, tail, ride her like a horse, steal her food out from under her while she's eating it, wrestling with her in the grass, etc... then we took her over to my aunts place next door and introduced her to their Pit(a recent rescue apparently)...with no ill effects. No barking, biting, fighting etc... A sniff here or there to check each other out and then we were on our way. Strange the way that happens so normal huh?

as a side...mine was a rescue from a shelter a little over a year and a half ago now. Apparently she was used as a bait dog for other fight dogs(and has quite a few nasty scars to prove it). 1.5 years later and she's safer than your closest local dorkie-yorkie. And I'm regularly requested to bring the evil, terrible, assault Pit(sorry but no bayonet lug for this model) to my office during the week to help train my coworkers dogs(various annoying UNTRAINED ankle biters...labs, chihuahuas, english bull, etc...). Go figure. Gotta love dog friendly offices.

ALL DOGS are a reflection of their owners. It's that simple. Dogs do the masters bidding. If the master bids nothing and there's more than one dog, they're going to revert to what they know which is instinct. And what are ALL DOGS basic instincts? To PACK UP and HUNT!

Off to bed for me...had a long day of watching my evil demon dog eating small children and frail old men...and sneaking in an occasional plate of unwatched food
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Theres a lot of people are irresponsible dog owners,I'm not sure what kind of building this was in but if it's an apartment nobody needs 3 dogs if they live in an apartment.I own a house with a fenced yard that my lab can run around in and she never tries to get out of the house.Besides being a sweetheart.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Dogs that are allowed to run loose form packs and are a danger to livestock, wildlife, and people. Throw the owners in jail!

I'm not talking about somebody's pet that by a rare accident gets loose. It is the dogs who's owners allow them to regularly run wild that create these problems.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Before you judge all dogs of one breed to be the same based on what the media says, educate yourself and you will find all breeds have bad examples.

Just because you don't read stories about German Shepards, Dobermans, or Rotts anymore doesn't mean those dogs have all of a sudden stopped attacking people. It just means the media has stopped reporting it.

The media looks for stories about certain breeds just as they look for stories of bad gun owners.

That doesn't mean that ALL gun owners are irresponsible when it comes to guns.

If those against guns only get their education from the media then they will sound uneducated on the subject to us responsible gun owners. Just as those that get their education about Pit Bulls from the media sound uneducated to us responsible Pit Bull owners.

When I rescued my Pit Bull from the city shelter I educated myself on the breed.

I now volunteer at the same shelter and work with the bully breeds that the media has deemed, ALL killers.

I can tell you that not every dog of certain breeds act alike.

Each and every dog should be judged for it's temperament no matter what breed it is.

If a Pit Bull has attacked someone I will be the first to say the owner should be the one held responsible and there should be more punishment for irresponsible owners.

The rules should be the same though for all dogs and all owners.

If you wish to state your opinion here on certain breeds then I ask that you educate yourself on the subject. Go to a local shelter and volunteer one day and actually walk a Pit Bull or any other of the bully breeds.

You will find that they are just dogs like any other dog. They have no special gene that makes them attack.

After you have educated yourself on the subject then your views would be taken more serious.

Just as the opinions of those that fear guns, then go to the range and actually shoot one, then they have a change of view on the subject. I think if you actually work with one of these dogs you will change your mind on the subject.

Until then, you are just feeding into the media frenzy. Just like the anti gun people do.
    Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway.

John Wayne

Links