Avoiding tickets

Avoiding tickets

This is a discussion on Avoiding tickets within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; State Troopers from seven states* Florida, New Jersey, Kentucky, Louisiana, Illinois, New Mexico, and Oregon *have a compiled a list of things they advise motorists ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Avoiding tickets

State Troopers from seven states* Florida, New Jersey, Kentucky, Louisiana, Illinois, New Mexico, and Oregon *have a compiled a list of things they advise motorists to avoid doing if they’re pulled over.

Here’s a list of the five worst things a motorist can do:

* Slam on your brakes when you see the flashing lights behind you. Neither should you drive for an extended distance before pulling over.

* Get out and approach the officer. Stay in your vehicle. Don’t make any sudden movements.

* Try to talk your way out of it. Complaining won’t do any good. Officers have heard just about every wild excuse there is.

* Lie. If you know you were speeding, admit it. If you don’t know why you were stopped wait for the officer to tell you.

* Angrily drive away. Officers don’t take kindly to your peeling away.

I get away with a verbal warning usually (5/6 times). Have your DL/insurance/etc ready, pull as far over to the right (or into a parking lot) as possible and as soon as the lights come on, be courteous and respectful, ask how their day is going, hands visible, dome light on.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I once pulled over when I saw the officer turn around, well before he turned on the lights. I don't know how fast I was going, but it was well over the limit. He let me go.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

They like to see both your hands and your CHL as well. Here in Texas most seem to give you a break if your licensed to carry. Not that I speed a lot, that's just the experience of most CHL holders I've talked to. LEO's seem to know your not a troublemaker if you've been through the process.
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Admit it????

You're kidding right??

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Many, many years ago I was in Georgia riding a motorcycle at about 2 AM. I was stopped at a stop light when a marked car pulled up behind me. All of a sudden I just went thru the light, from a dead stop. I realized what I had done about half way thru the intersection and I as soon as I got thru the intersection I just pulled over and waited. The officer waited for the light to turn green and then proceeded to pull up behind me.

The officer told me that he saw me look in my mirror and see him before I pulled thru the light and he was not sure what I was doing. I told him that I was not sure what I was doing either and the only thing I could think of was that after looking in my mirror and seeing him I must have seen the green light for cross traffic out of the corner of my eye and just went. We both had a good laugh and he told me that he wasn’t going to write me up because he didn’t know how to put it in his report (more likely he was just in a good mood and I helped provide a little comic relief for his night). We talked for about another 15 minutes or so and then we both left.

In most cases, as long as you are polite and reasonable, the officer will be to. That doesn’t mean that you will get a break like I did, but it will certainly make for a less difficult encounter.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AirForceShooter View Post
    Admit it???? You're kidding right??
    If it is an honest 'gotcha', I don't see anything wrong with admitting it. Heck, if I chose to speed and he pops me, what's the problem? I mean, I hate the cash issue and such, but it was my decision to drive that fast.

I've found that if the person in authority has freedom of action (or perhaps I should say "inaction"), owning up to things can often be the best approach. Once I was traveling across the country; on the return leg I remembered my inbound arrival time as being the departure time for the return flight. I arrived about an hour after the flight left, and was counseled by the skycap to say I had a flat tire or something. Instead, when asked what happened, I admitted, "I goofed up - it was entirely my fault." The fellow was so relieved to have someone tell the truth that he waived the extra $700 it could have cost me to make the change to the next flight.

Sometimes the person in authority has no freedom of action, and regardless of your words you're in deep trouble if they suspect any foul play. And other times the cost of a misstatement can be horrendous (as with after-shooting police 'interviews'). I'm not advocating running your mouth then! (See Law School Prof and Cop say not to talk to police). But for relatively low-cost events (a ticket, or my plane flight), I would certainly consider owning up to one's actions.

Ethically, I don't see a need to hand the cops a big stick if it is likely that I'll be hit harder than I need to be hit (hence my desire to clam up in serious matters). But handing them a small stick to hit me with if such a hit is deserved seems OK. And if they choose not to, great!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by AirForceShooter View Post
    Admit it????

You're kidding right??

AFS
    Sometimes its better to just man up when you know you are in the wrong.

I tried to find a old thread called Traffic Stops 101, but the search wouldnt let me find it. Its a pretty good read about the same topic.
    "Just blame Sixto"

The most simple way to avoid tickets is to never drive over the speed limit, signal turns and lane changes, and make full stops. Duh!
    When in doubt, just ask yourself, "What would Theodore Roosevelt do?"

Every society is 3 missed meals away from anarchy.

One memorable ticket I should have gotten:

Mid to late 70s I was at a friends shop that specializes in Corvette body and paint. Well a Charlotte officer pulled up in his blue and white cruiser checking on the work done on his Vett. We talked about hot rods for a while and when he was leaving my buddy talked him into doing a burn out. He smoked the hides off that cop car and we both got a good laugh!

A few months later heading over to one of my friends house driving my 57 Chevrolet I saw a bunch of my buddies in the front yard. I lit up the tires at the stop sign showing off grabbing a couple gears. I look up and see Two marked cars that were up the road on a call backing up heading my way!. I jump out and mingle in with my friends while one officer was asking everyone for ID and a female officer was feeling my back tires! Well so no one else would get into trouble I said "I guess your looking for me" The male officer asked "are you the crazy a$$ burning tires" I looked him in the eyes and said "It's no worse than I've seen you do" WHAT he said! "You remember me from the Corvette shop?"

Man his eyes were like saucers and he said ahhh ahhh well you shouldn't be doing that. The lady cop wanted to throw the book at me and he of course talked her out of writing me a hand full of tickets... which I deserved!
    “Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    The most simple way to avoid tickets is to never drive over the speed limit, signal turns and lane changes, and make full stops. Duh!
    Oh. Yeah.

Ahem.

What Ranger said.

VIP Member
    Honesty usually works for me.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Honesty usually works for me.
    Quite right, and you and I both live corum deo.

Putting my comments above in another form: I don't believe dishonesty EVER works, but making honest statements which could be misunderstood is effectively 'false testimony' and could be of great harm to me or those I love. Thus while lying/fibbing/stretching/spin/prevarication/guile are all wrong, silence in accordance with the law may be the best course of action in a given circumstance.

That said, an honest speeding gotcha is an honest speeding gotcha. But driving sedately, I haven't had one of those for about thirty years. And I still nearly always arrive within a minute or two of Mr. testosterone, and have lower blood pressure, too. Now, if my main route to work just had more places to pull over and let the madmen pass...

Anything you do that shows you have the officers safety in mind tends to help. If you have tinted windows lower them before he aproaches , if its dark turn on your interior (dome , map , ect ) lights , hands on the wheel till told to do otherwise ......... the common sense stuff

I think the OP forgot the most important thing. If you're LE or correction officer (or whatever), then just flash your ID and 99% of time you're off scot-free. Rarely is a ticket given to a "brother".
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links