Photography help

Photography help

This is a discussion on Photography help within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'm working on my web site and want some flames, not the typical Harley flame, but real, intense fire. I have a decent camera, can ...

Thread: Photography help

Photography help

I'm working on my web site and want some flames, not the typical Harley flame, but real, intense fire.

I have a decent camera, can anyone point towards a tutorial on photographing flames or fire? I've been searching for a while now and so far have come up empty.

Thanks,

Holdcard
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

I've had the best luck in photographing fire with a high film speed and short shutter time. Slower speeds have resulted in a strange orange blur that looks fire-like but doesn't really satisy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9mm View Post
    I've had the best luck in photographing fire with a high film speed and short shutter time. Slower speeds have resulted in a strange orange blur that looks fire-like but doesn't really satisy.
    Thanks for the advice.

I have a Nikon D300, I'll have to play with it. Any ideas on how to simulate a dark night with a fire burning? In the middle of Phoenix I won't be able to set too many practice fires.

Our ministry theme is the 4th Man in the fiery furnace and that's the effect I'm trying to get.

Holdcard

4th Man Ministries

Unless you just want to, you may be re-inventing the wheel. A quick Google image search on 'night fire' had over 60,000 hits. Here's just a few:
    Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    Unless you just want to, you may be re-inventing the wheel.
    Yeah, I kinda do. I'm an amateur photographer and thought it would be really neat to be able to get the picture myself. I built our logo with a photo I had taken a long time ago, but had to use a stock fire image.

Now that I'm reworking the whole site and have a much better camera I'd like to tackle it myself. It will be a good learning experience and I'll be able to get the exact shot I want (maybe not right away). I'm even thinking of going back and retaking the original photo and reworking the logo too.

I haven't found any tutorials yet specifically on shooting fire. I'm sure I can muddle through it if I can't find one. It'll just take a little longer.

Holdcard

4th Man Ministries

Quote Originally Posted by Holdcard View Post
    Yeah, I kinda do. I'm an amateur photographer and thought it would be really neat to be able to get the picture myself. ..............
    Me too so I know what you mean. Here's a photo taken by a friend of mine at one of our CAS matches. I've done the same type of thing and it can be a kind of cool effect. This is where digital cameras with the ability to see the photo immediately are a huge advantage.

Set your camera to shutter priority with no flash. Play with the shutter speed until you get the desired effect. Helps if you use some Hedge (Osage Orange) firewood as it pops like crazy.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

VIP Member
    I once accidentally got a dark room affect. I took a flash picture into another room in the house. The walls were white on the room I was in. The edges of the picture had the white walls reflecting the flash back to the camera and the room on the other side of the walls looked dark.

If you can photoshop/edit out the white walls after the shot, maybe doing something along these lines will get you what you are going after.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Sounds like a neat effect once in a while I'll get a flare and my mom thinks that's a cool effect too.

This is the image I built years back, I want about the same kind of flames in the header of the new site. I'll probably change templates a few times before I get it tweaked the way I want it.

I want to rebuild the logo eventually as well.

Holdcard

4th Man Ministries

Try a place that sells gas fireplaces.. In my area there a several and each has a bunch of working models... For the most part they have dark (black) backgrounds and the flames are adjustable.

Use high speed film 400 at 100th of a second or faster with a wide open lens.. Shoot a lot and bracket up and down with the F stops...
    A little editing and cropping might get you what you want.

Good Luck
    Bosco

Quote Originally Posted by boscobeans View Post
    Try a place that sells gas fireplaces.. In my area there a several and each has a bunch of working models... For the most part they have dark (black) backgrounds and the flames are adjustable.

Use high speed film 400 at 100th of a second or faster with a wide open lens.. Shoot a lot and bracket up and down with the F stops...
    A little editing and cropping might get you what you want.

Good Luck
    Bosco
    Thanks, I never thought of that. I'll have to do a little looking Phoenix in summer time isn't really a fireplace mecca, but they do have them.

Holdcard

4th Man Ministries

Links