Just when I thought it couldn't get any lower

This is a discussion on Just when I thought it couldn't get any lower within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Fake Soldiers Used In RNC Video, Patriotic Montage Shown At RNC Featured Actors Hired For One Day Shoot, Not Military - CBS News It was ...

Fake Soldiers Used In RNC Video, Patriotic Montage Shown At RNC Featured Actors Hired For One Day Shoot, Not Military - CBS News

It was a video that was supposed to elicit soaring patriotism and real emotions about the Pledge of Allegiance. But to do that, it used fake soldiers and a staged military funeral instead of the real thing.
    As a VN Vet and someone who has lost a brother and some dear friends to wars, I am appaled by this. This is going to go down as one of the sleaziest elections of all times. I really miss Ron Paul.....
    A veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable
    to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life." Author unknown

I think it is a "catch 22". If they used actual footage of a military funeral some would say that they are capitalizing on the tragedy of war to scare people in to voting Repub.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Senior Moderator
    Yeah, its pretty common using actors to film scenes.

I dont see it as an issue. Unless of course, thats ALL one can find to gripe about.

Danged if you do, danged if you dont.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

So can I assume you don't watch any war movies either?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Moderator
    I think it is important to note that this footage was shot and placed up for sale on a stock photo site.

It's not like the convention folks ordered it - they just bought a license to use some existing footage.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

So I guess we are just a nation of people who do everythng, even vote based upon a bunch of tv advertising and movies. Only insead of the Oscars, it's the national election. We get to vote on which hollywood director yanks our chain the hardest.

It's not a movie, it's a honest to goodness war where a lot of our kids are getting torn to pieces. It was false advertising that got us into this in the first place.

I am repulsed.
    A veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable
    to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life." Author unknown

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by libertarian5 View Post
    So I guess we are just a nation of people who do everythng, even vote based upon a bunch of tv advertising and movies. Only insead of the Oscars, it's the national election. We get to vote on which hollywood director yanks our chain the hardest.

It's not a movie, it's a honest to goodness war where a lot of our kids are getting torn to pieces. It was false advertising that got us into this in the first place.
    Since your political rant is unwelcome in this forum I will not respond as to get this thread closed. Suffice it to say you are absolutely wrong.

As to the movie, I haven't seen it but I have no problem with a representation by actors. I certainly don;t think you have provided a valid objection, only that you are ant-war. And yes, we vote based on information, whether the source is television or a townhall meeting. I will vote for the candidate that best represents my views and is the most qualified to assume the responsibility of leading the United States in a very dangerous world.

eh? Oh, I see ....people who do everything, even vote, based .... Maybe a distance learning english lesson is available on the ole boob tube.

I am repulsed.
    I likewise am repulsed. Some folks can't be pleased. First, who's gonna ask the berieved family for permission to use their images and ALL of the folks in the video? Tasteless and not likely to obtain the necessary release. Second, sounds like the conservatives are in good shape if this is such a major "gaff". Lastly, I guess I should be appalled that "Harry and Louise" are just actors and the message that they are hawking is not a worthy cause? Well, I'm not. Thats because everybody receives messages differently. (BTW, Harry and Louise, started in '93 as a message to stop the healthcare "plan". Now, seems the actors went to we need a healthcare plan)
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

There is a difference between a documentary and a movie. That is what the problem was with Al Gore's movie and that is what is wrong with what they did. Politics as usual.

Even aspirin ads are required to print a disclaimer when they are a dramatization vs the real deal.

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    I will vote for the candidate that best represents my views and is the most qualified to assume the responsibility of leading the United States in a very dangerous world.
    Before this thread gets shut down, and it probably will, I agree with SelfDefense in his statement above. Whomever you choose, right or left, Rep or Dem, do it because he/she represents what you want in a leader. If everyone were to do this, it would surely elicit change!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Lead Moderator
    No 2nd ammend issues, political thread.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Links