Cops kick in door after hearing cries for help

This is a discussion on Cops kick in door after hearing cries for help within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; NJ cops kick in door over bird's cries for help Fri Sep 5, 7:58 PM ET Cries for help inside a Trenton, N.J., home turned ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cops kick in door after hearing cries for help

Cops kick in door after hearing cries for help

NJ cops kick in door over bird's cries for help Fri Sep 5, 7:58 PM ET

Cries for help inside a Trenton, N.J., home turned out to be for the birds. Neighbors called police Wednesday morning after hearing a woman's persistent cry of "Help me! Help me!" coming from a house. Officers arrived and when no one answered the door, they kicked it in to make a rescue.

But instead of a damsel in distress, officers found a caged cockatoo with a convincing call.

It wasn't the first time the 10-year-old bird named Luna said something that brought authorities to the home of owner Evelyn DeLeon.

About seven years ago, the bird cried like a baby for hours, leading to reports of a possible abandoned baby and a visit to the home by state child welfare workers. But it was only Luna practicing a newfound sound, DeLeon says.

DeLeon says her bird learns much of her ever-growing vocabulary from watching television, in both English and Spanish.

___

Information from: The Times, The Times of Trenton - NJ.com
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

Wonder what the bird was watching.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Some should write the owner and ask if one of those birds taste like chicken
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

I'd hate to hear what the bird learned from the cops as they broke in...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    My mom's bird imitates the sound of the telephone ringing. Keeps mom active...

I was taking care of a friends parrot a couple weeks ago and I was just informed the bird is starting to say [Edited] I told em don't look at me I only said hey bird hey bird
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; September 6th, 2008 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Deleted inappropriate language.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

LOL! Next thing the cockatoo needs to learn is "don't shoot!"
    My macaw says a lot of things including bad words, imitates coughing,crying and dog barking also. Duke loves watching TV, cartoons especially.

One guy I know has one... and it says... "put your hands up". .. very convincingly.

Me and Duke

Senior Moderator
    Nice !

How old is it Ramrod? I hear they can live a long long time.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    Nice bird RamRod!!!
    I had a friend in Denver PD that rescued one from a home that was ripe with domestic abuse. When he brought it home it had pulled all it's feathers out, even the ones on top of it's head!! It was one funny looking parrot for awhile, but once it grew comfortable in it's new surroundings, it grew them back and was a beautiful bird. I guess they are kinda sensitive about some things, it had quite an attitude though, IIRC he named it Mr Nasty.
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

Administrator
    There is a guy around here that rides an old Honda motorcycle with a macaw riding on his bars. Its a sight to see, the bird seems to enjoy it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Nice !

How old is it Ramrod? I hear they can live a long long time.
    He's only five years old. The original owner hand raised him and I got him at a year old. Yes, he'll probably outlive me, and more than likely the old lady will outlive me too. This way, she'll still have something to bug her for a while longer.

Quote Originally Posted by flagflyfish View Post
    Nice bird RamRod!!!
    I had a friend in Denver PD that rescued one from a home that was ripe with domestic abuse. When he brought it home it had pulled all it's feathers out, even the ones on top of it's head!! It was one funny looking parrot for awhile, but once it grew comfortable in it's new surroundings, it grew them back and was a beautiful bird. I guess they are kinda sensitive about some things, it had quite an attitude though, IIRC he named it Mr Nasty.
    Thanks. Once a bird has pulled out most of it's feathers, they are usually on the downhill slide and on the verge of going psycho and subsequent death. Lucky rescue for the bird and good for it's recovery. It likely developed a quick bond with it's new owner as that's who essentially saved it's life. The more intelligent a bird, the harder for them to overcome or deal with neglect. The largest of the cockatoos demand almost constant attention much like a new born baby. That's pretty much what they are for the first ten years at least.

My friend had one that when you knocked on the door he/she said come in come in

Distinguished Member Array 4my son's Avatar
    That's a cool story, and one pretty bird, also reminds me of one of the funniest jokes about birds I ever heard. The Names have been changed to poke our friend in the ribs.

Ram Rod received a parrot for his birthday.

The parrot was fully-grown with a bad attitude and worse vocabulary. Every other word was an expletive. Those that weren't expletives were, to say the least very rude.

Ram Rod tried hard to change the bird's attitude and was constantly saying polite words, playing soft music, anything he could think of to try and set a good example. Nothing worked.

He yelled at the bird and the bird yelled back. He shook the bird and the bird just got angrier and became even more rude. Finally in a moment of desperation. Ram Rod put the parrot in the FREEZER.

For a few moments he heard the bird squawk and kick and scream. Then suddenly, there was a quiet-----

-Not a sound for half a minute. Rad Rod was frightened that he might have hurt the bird and quickly opened the freezer door.

The Parrot calmly stepped out onto Ram Rod's extended arm and said: "I believe I may have offended you with my rude language and actions. I will endeavor at once to correct my behavior. I really am truly sorry and beg your forgiveness."

Ram Rod was astonished at the bird's change in attitude and was about to ask what had made the difference and caused such a dramatic change when the parrot continued: "May I ask what the chicken did???"
    Sorry man, I couldn't resist.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links