Cheap Ammo!

This is a discussion on Cheap Ammo! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This has happened to me several times. Academy Sports sells CCI Blazer range loads for say, $4.75 per box. I buy a case or two ...

View Poll Results: Your are checking out at a store, and the clerk:

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Over-rings you: You ask for a correction

24 61.54%
  • Over-rings you: You pass on correction

1 2.56%
  • Under-rings you: You ask for a correction

26 66.67%
  • Under-rings you: You pass on correction

13 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheap Ammo!

Cheap Ammo!

This has happened to me several times. Academy Sports sells CCI Blazer range loads for say, $4.75 per box. I buy a case or two (20 boxes per case) and proceed to check out. Clerk scans bar code on the case and rings it up...."That'll be $10.26.

Would you correct her or not?

The poll is anonymous, so let's hear the truth. What got me thinking about this issue are some behaviors I've seen in some "apparently" honest and self-righteous folks I know.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    I don't want to be cheated and I do not want to cheat anyone.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

If their computer screws up, that's on them. If the cashier screws up and gives me too much change, I always give it back, even though sometimes that leads to me giving a lengthy and annoying math lesson.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    I believe in paying the advertised price. If they over or under charge. I correct them. I have given back at least a hundred dollars (probably much more) over the years when the clerk or register messes up.

What's nice though, is those grocery stores with the policy that if they overcharge you get all of the money back for that item.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

I didn't vote in the poll. I've had more of the change given overages than anything I guess, and I always bring it to their attention. If they can't figure it out from there I won't usually argue with them. I never like getting overcharged of course, and it happens now and then but not frequently. I hardly ever get undercharged....just about as often as I run across an awesome deal that's too hard to pass up, like some members here seem to just fall into. Realizing there have been times were I took an overcharge unaware or noticed too late, getting undercharged and bringing it up might depend upon the disparity of the charges/value involved. I'm not dishonest when it comes to money dealings. A few dollars and I'd claim the fifth, over ten dollars and I'll say something about it. When the decimal point moves to the right one space, my conscience kicks in. There are places I regularly purchase merchandise, and I'd never want to jeopardize my position as a good customer. I also believe in karma. Also....store losses in the long run will ultimately affect the retail price passed on to other consumers. Even though I know a lot of folks would be more than willing to pass costs on to their fellow citizens who may or may not be more financially stable, I'd never feel good about doing it to my fellow man personally. We all deserve the lowest costs available IMO, and if being honest is all it takes, then it's rather a simple effort IMO.

We have an Academy Sports store here and it's simply amazing what all they stock in sporting goods! Just went there for the first time last week...lots of good buys to be had! I can still get firearms cheaper at my local gun shop though.

I think we have a bunch of e-knights on this board.

I'll ask for a correction if I get over charged. If I get undercharged, thats not my problem**. A fool and his money are easily parted.

**I am not trying to rip anyone off. If I felt like I was "stealing" I would speak up--like in you carton vs. box situation. If they fat fingered a key in and I got my $15.35 ammo for $13.55 I wouldn't complain.

When in store I try to add up items in my head to get a ball park figure so @ the reg. I know approx. what I'll be paying, if It's close I pay & walk out. Sometimes I'm tired or distracted by someone near by possibly printing, don't do the head math thing, pay walk out, then find I'm over or under.Usually Don't bother to go back.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    I'm with Ram Rod on this one. The mistake in the scenario will eventually lead to higher prices, or worse. If the mistake of a moving decimal happens often enough, my local store goes out of business. What goes around, comes around and I sleep very well thank you.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    If it goes either way and I know it, I'm going to speak up.Call it foolish if you will, but to me it's about "honor'.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

bae
    I try to treat others as I would like to be treated myself.

If it's not very much then I don't worry about it either way, but if it's substantial I say something. Just the other day my wife and I got breakfast and the bill was $22.50, but when I went to sign receipt, it was $2.50. I let them know.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnutty View Post
    If it goes either way and I know it, I'm going to speak up.Call it foolish if you will, but to me it's about "honor'.
    +1 on that Cheat me not and I will cheat you not.

However true story a long time ago I cashed my payroll check, N I made the mistake of steeping away from the window before counting, bad idea...

They had shorted me $20.00 I immediately went back to the same window and the gal said they would call me if the drawer count came out over, nope no call I was out close to 3 hours pay (this was back in the mid 70's).

It was almost a month later when at the same teller I was counting my money when I realized she had over paid me by $40.00 I at first started to say something then I remember how I was cheated out of $20.00 previously so I figured it was interest and walked away. They closed that branch a few months later.

More recently though at my CU (this has happened twice) when I went to the drive through to cash my check (I always count before driving away) I received significantly more than I was suppose to (by several hundred) each time I went to the inside teller and asked to talk in private, showed them the stub, deposit slips, and distribution and do the math. Yeah they were real grateful, N I now have some friends there.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Too often I don't really pay as much attention as I should.
    If I do notice or suspect a discrepancy, I just ask for a re-count. If they don't correct it then, I'll just drop it. I don't want anything that's not mine; likewise, I don't accept having mine taken.
    I'm not looking to be Cannonized. I have four children, and if I want them to be honorable citizens, I have to be - even when they aren't there to witness. They know if I'm phony.
    I can't improve the world, but by George, I can improve what I can reach!!

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.
    Why do I use 230 gr. for my .45acp?
    Because I can't find a source of 250 gr!
    http://chucksrantings.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by chuck brick View Post
    Too often I don't really pay as much attention as I should.

Chuck Brick.
    I admit to not p[aying enough attention at times. If I find it once I've left the store I'm probably not going back, regardless of which way the error goes.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

I know my purchases...I only want to pay the correct price...either way!

Stay armed...be honest...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links