Mushroom hunters?

This is a discussion on Mushroom hunters? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Any wild mushroom hunters out there? It's been years since I've scouted shrooms. Just this week, I've noticed they are sprouting up everywhere! Apparently the ...

Thread: Mushroom hunters?

Mushroom hunters?

Any wild mushroom hunters out there? It's been years since I've scouted shrooms. Just this week, I've noticed they are sprouting up everywhere! Apparently the weather here of late has been conducive to growth. Can anyone recommend some good references? I'm not googling this one as I'd rather hear from those with experience. Many years ago, I enjoyed going with my father on mushroom expeditions. I loved fried mushrooms and puff-balls. I guess mom knew just how to cook them up. Is this a lost art or do folks still hunt good mushrooms? Thanks for all your help.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    I know a few people that look for mushrooms that grow in cow patties.

They eat them and go berserk for a day or two. One guy told me that he had superhuman senses, could here a beetle walking through the leaves a hundred yards away. He also said that he could actually see the photosynthesis process taking place on the trees all around him, it was like they were actually breathing.

Another guy said that he ate some mushrooms and went squirrel hunting with a .22. He swore up and down that he could watch the bullet travel to the target in slow motion.

As far as I know, lots of people still hunt mushrooms. Every now and then they get caught and spend some time in jail.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I know a few people that look for mushrooms that grow in cow patties.

They eat them and go beserk for a day or two. One guy told me that he had superhuman senses, could here a beatle walking through the leaves a hundred yards away. He also said that he could actually see the photosynthesis process taking place on the trees all around him, it was like they were actualyl breathing.

Another guy said that he ate some mushrooms and went squirrle hunting with a .22. He swore up and down that he could watch the bullet travel to the target in slow motion.

As far as I know, lots of people still hunt mushrooms. Every now and then they get caught and spend some time in jail.

Best laugh of the day!

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Yep, I ate some mushrooms once just before target practice. Fired the old 1911, watched the bullet leave the barrel realized it was off target, ran up pushed the bullet over and got back to the firing line before anyone knew I'd moved. Don't eat them anymore. Just ain't fair to everyone else.
    This only works with Arkansas mushrooms by the way!!!
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Rogers Mushrooms | Mushroom Pictures & Mushroom Reference

The above is a good guide.. I have only picked and eaten Morels and Puffballs. Morels in the spring in deep woods and the puffballs in the fall on lawns and fields.. Some of the puffballs are as big as soccer balls and make great mushroom steaks.

Bosco

Uh Oh! I might be asking the wrong crowd. Everyone seems a bit more spiked on the weekends. My bad. Deep down inside I'm LMAO, but it is going to remain a serious question. Thanks for the responses thus far, and remember....I'm laughing with you. If I'd have been down the same road, I'd more than likely be working for Walt Disney or the Obama campaign.

Senior Moderator
    On a more serious note...

you're right about mushrooms growing everywhere. Ive got 20 acres of big oak trees and even in my yard they seem to be taking off. I guess all the rain has had something to do with it. I work with a guy that is into that, he has a book with colored pictures in it, some of them I have recognized.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by boscobeans View Post
    Rogers Mushrooms | Mushroom Pictures & Mushroom Reference

The above is a good guide.. I have only picked and eaten Morels and Puffballs. Morels in the spring in deep woods and the puffballs in the fall on lawns and fields.. Some of the puffballs are as big as soccer balls and make great mushroom steaks.

Bosco
    Thanks! Oh yeah! Mushroom steaks.........I remember those and I'm lacking for the taste...fried in butter. I haven't seen any that big since I was back east. Store bought strawberries might do well for the taste, but mushrooms are a different story. Remember......it may come down to the survival level also. My attempt at re-education and hopefully a few plates of palatable bliss.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    I love mushrooms any way you cook them, but I hunt mine at the grocery store. I wouldn't want to get the wrong ones. I can never remember, is it the red stripe or blue stripe that means it's poisonous? That's probably why I buy mine.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

Thumbs up

OK. Here's the scoop. Buy some huge Portobello caps at the store, wipe them down with a damp towel or paper towel, brush them with olive oil (EVOO) and garlic, and grill them on a George Foreman grill about 15 minutes. Can also grill them outside on the BBQ. Super easy!

When done, serve as entree, and feast on them to your hearts content!

I never pick my own. Afraid I'll die, chase down bullets or listen to Jimi Hendrix's again.

I just read an article a day or two ago where some people picked some shrooms and got a few of the poisonous ones not the psychedelic ones,they ended up getting treated at the hospital
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Administrator
    I refuse to destroy the home of a Smurf.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Be absolutely positive when picking any mushrooms. I love Morels (are hollow) but there are false Morels out there (they are not hollow) and they are poisonous.

As to how poisonous I quote the following;

""The mushrooms containing amatoxins--including the Destroying Angel, the Death Cap, and Galerina marginata--are among of the deadliest mushrooms on the planet, containing enough poison to kill you with a few bites. The toxins are called “amatoxins,” and there is NO KNOWN ANTIDOTE. Initial symptoms usually develop within 24 of ingestion, and include vomiting and bloody diarrhea. In many cases these symptoms are followed by a period of apparent remission, in which the victim feels better. But the remission is a cruel hoax; in the meantime, the victim's liver and kidneys are being destroyed. Death, which occurs in 10-60 percent of amatoxin cases, takes anywhere from three to seven days. Treatment is symptomatic, though medical professionals have begun to report some success with a combination of penicillin G and silibinin-—an extract from milk thistle which is currently not approved for use in the United States.

An old German freind of mine would mash up a few "DEATH CAPS" in some fresh milk and place it in a dish in the cow barn. Results: dead flies all over the table where the dish was.

BOSCO

Lead Moderator
    Big moral mushroom festivals up here. They attract 1,00's of people who go looking on their own or buy em. No psychedelic effects though.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

We pick them whenever possible. We know several types that are safe to eat and avoid the others. We've had a lot of fun finding them, and they are great eating.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Links