Professional appearance: a shaven head

This is a discussion on Professional appearance: a shaven head within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I am a relatively young white male. I have no tattoos and am clean shaven. I also put a razor to my scalp each day. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Professional appearance: a shaven head

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar

I am a relatively young white male. I have no tattoos and am clean shaven. I also put a razor to my scalp each day. I have come to realize that this may not make for a professional appearance.

I seek employment in a paramilitary organization. I have seen uniformed representatives of the organization with shaven heads. I do not wish to come across as less professional due to mine.

Discussions have led me to believe that a shaven head, in and of itself, is no longer taboo in the professional world. However, I desire other opinions.

What do you think?
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I don't see it as unprofessional. Could always go with a fade if you're worried though.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Senior Moderator
    You tryin to be a cop or what?
    Lots of them around here have shaved heads.

They dont have the tatoos all over the place though, that about the only way you can tell them apart from the skinheads when they arent in uniform.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I seek employment in a paramilitary organization.
    Could you elaborate on that? You fear being termed a 'skin-head'? Almost anything goes in today's society in almost any line of work other than white collar, "respectable" jobs. The rest of us are pretty much clear of the prejudices experienced in the past. Of course we all depend on what our supervisor thinks of us personally no matter our job performance. It is what it is. Make of it what you will, and good luck either way.

Administrator
    I don't view it as unprofessional at all, but it also depends on how you carry yourself as well. A person who presents himself well can pull any reasonable "look" off, and a goof is just a goof no matter how he wears his hair.

Some guys look far better with the Mr. Clean thing going on, I look like a neo Nazi living in my moms basement, so I keep at least a little bit of my golden locks. Plus I figure I only have a few good years left with hair any way, so I might as well enjoy it while I can.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Administrator
    It is still your personality and how you present and represent yourself that will always make or break you on an interview.

EW3
    Ive been shaving my head since my hair started to go bye-bye around age 28 and I never once worried about looking "unprofessional".

If anything, I feel it makes for a more "squared away" appearance.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Lead Moderator
    No , it just makes you look shiny in daylight.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I shave my head daily...I am a professional...never considered being judged because of my shaven head...if so, I don't want to work there.

As an above poster(s) has/have said...it's how you carry yourself, not your hair style that counts.

I've interviewed hundreds, perhaps thousands during my lifetime and I've not developed an interview format that included "head shaved...yes? or no?"

Be yourself...dress sharp (shine your shoes), know your 'trade'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    I've worked in white collar jobs with others who have shaved heads. It's not what it used to be. It's now pretty well accepted.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

EW3
    Whatever you do, don't ever, ever go for the "skullet"
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

I'd bet that dude has more hair on his back than on his head.

A shaved heard is as professional as the person it's attached to. I know two guys who have their head. One is a financial professional...dark colored suits, sunglasses he looks like a professional hitman.
    The second is a security guard. No matter what he looks like a slacker. It's like the others have said. It's got more to do with how you present yourself as a whole rather than the hair on your head...unless you head is lumpy or pointed :-)
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    There's a difference between what is acceptable for those who ALREADY have the job, and in what will past muster for those who are SEEKING the job.

At a job interview, you want your appearance to be as "vanilla" as possible. Your QUALIFICATIONS should be all that stand out.

In my avatar photo, you see that I have two of the three "scary" features: a goatee and a shaved head. I also have the third - tattoos - but those are not visible in uniform. At both my initial interview and my promotion interview, though, I had hair on my head, but not on my chin.

I'm not saying that the Mr. Clean look WON'T work for you. I'm just telling you what worked for ME.

I sport a No 1 hair do, It's just easier than a razor for me. I know many people that shave their heads and work in white collar jobs, and it's no big deal.

FYI;

I do sport a 3" goatee and full sleeve tattoos. Many people judge me based on appearance alone. If I did need a job I would probably be forced to conform to the employers' expectations. Luckily I am self employed, and don't have to deal with applying for employment any longer.
    Last edited by G96X0; September 7th, 2008 at 06:29 PM. Reason: add

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    I guess it depends on where you wish to work...places like Disney are pretty restrictive (prejudicial). Bald is one thing...shaving another as perception lines are quickly drawn. Since you asked the question...I can only assume you have concerns. If you have concerns...if you really want the job...I would go conservative and not have to worry about it in the interview(s). After getting hired..another whole story.

Rick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links