Dept. of Corrections employees - Prison work

This is a discussion on Dept. of Corrections employees - Prison work within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have an opportunity to apply and possibly go to work for the Florida Department of Corrections at a local state prison. I have some ...

Thread: Dept. of Corrections employees - Prison work

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar

Dept. of Corrections employees - Prison work

I have an opportunity to apply and possibly go to work for the Florida Department of Corrections at a local state prison.

I have some inside connections that will put in a good word and get me connected with the right people.

I would also like to hear from others here that do this type of work and tellme a little bit about what its like.

Do you like the work?

How is your pay?

Please feel free to indulge me all you like. I want to hear everything you have to say about it.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

2. Remove Ads

I have relatives in that line of work...it sucks, but then...many jobs suck...

Decent pay for starting without a degree...good benefits...can be dangerous...and you'll always have clients.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I know some prisioners does that help? Good luck with the new job.

After I retired from the army I worked corrections for a short while. Bad hours, bad pay, and the job really stank. Being in the army was much safer!

But if you take the job, if you don't remember anything else, never EVER allow yourself to get distracted for even a second. Be alert and ready for anything at all times. There are no "harmless" inmates.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

I know a few people that worked in corrections,It can be dangerous,and they have rules for a reason.I think most guards find out in the first 6 months to a year if they really want to continue.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I've had two family members work in corrections, neither one lasted, they hated their jobs.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    My dad has been doing it since 96 went from working a med security prison to working one of the three largest maximum security/supermax lockups in the state. Pay is not to good but it is a paycheck never the less but he enjoys his job so its just depends on who you ask.
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

For more information go to PrisonOfficer.Org. You'll find a lot of great info on there about being a CO. Personally I would recommend applying for the Federal Bureau of Prisons compared to FDOC. I have a buddy of mine that I work with at the BOP that used to be FL. Not all that good of a place to work from what I understand. Mainly you top out in pay rather quickly.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    A lot depends on which prison you go to. In VA, I applied to a specific unit, not to the state in general. Mine was a "farm", a small unit with 100 inmates, all parole eligible, so better behaved than some other prisons. Work was pretty easy, didn't have to deal with bad attitudes for the most part. In a major institution, be prepared for having bodily substances thrown on you, and pray you never get captured during a riot.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Plainfield, Indiana

A friend of mine used to work at the Corrections Facility in Plainfield, IN. From what he said the pay wasn't great, the work was dangerous, and the hours stunk.

Other than that I think he enjoyed it.
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

Remember... anything can happen at any time... and the second you forget that, it will.... guaranteed.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Thanks for the replies!

Oh well, they have filled the recruiting pool so I didnt make it in time anyway. Probably for the better.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    I have an opportunity to apply and possibly go to work for the Florida Department of Corrections at a local state prison.

I have some inside connections that will put in a good word ...
    Oh.

Inside the Department...

Links