Any dog owners here? breed recommendations please

This is a discussion on Any dog owners here? breed recommendations please within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This might be an odd question, but I see hints of a lot of dog owners here, Well I want to get a puppy next ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any dog owners here? breed recommendations please

Any dog owners here? breed recommendations please

This might be an odd question, but I see hints of a lot of dog owners here,
    Well I want to get a puppy next year when my son is about 9 months or a year old,
    I would like a breed that 1st is loyal and tolerant of kids and protective of my family, also an effective alert/guard dog. I live in the hot desert and Germen Shepard would probably be miserable outside with its heavy coat, donít want little yappy things either.

2. Remove Ads

With young children? Any Lab breed is great!

Do a search (use your Google-Fu grasshopper)......I'd stay with medium to med-large sized dog with an even temperment.

This is a good topic/querry. I believe you'll get a bunch of recomendations. Whatever you choose, make sure you review the breeder and find out if they are reputable or 'questionable'.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Dogs and kids......nothing better! But ask 100 different dog owners which breed is best and you'll get you 100 different recommendations.......

At the risk of offending some, the only breed I would never own under any circumstances when children are around, is a Pit Bull.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Administrator
    A Doberman has a lot of the same characteristics of a GSD, but without the heavy coat.
    If you plan on making the dog live outside, get a dingo... dogs and deserts don't really mix all that well.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I would go to a shelter and adopt one from there. You could get a mix breed that has the best of all the trated you are looking for.

Plus, adopting from a shelter will help save a life and make room for another.
    Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway.

John Wayne

A Boxer meets all your requirements as well.

Last edited by G96X0; September 9th, 2008 at 01:23 PM.

I would look for a puppy at a shelter. Small to mid-sized mixed breeds will usually have the longest life expectancies and lowest number of genetic related health problems. Lighter colored fur of a short/medium length (think Dingo) helps with the sun, but any dog will need good shelter and fresh cool water if it is kept outdoors in the typical Az heat. I had a Newfie/St.Bernard mix that was about 110 pounds who was the kids pony, protector and general all around best friend. In upstate NY her heavy coat was great in the winter but she had to be cooled down in the summer (black coat). As she got older the typical hip problems, that seem to affect the bigger breeds, began to set in.

Good luck with your new family member.

Bosco

I agree with your GSD assessment, and would suggest, as did Sixto, a Doberman. A great resource is a book by a fellow named Matthew Margolis, who co-wrote a book with Mordecai Siegal, that is titled Good Dog, Bad Dog. Good Dog, Bad Dog has a compendium of breed traits that are "spot on" as well as being a solid training aid. I would also suggest you spend time on the web site of Cesar Milan, who is a great dog trainer.

Welcome to Cesar Millan's Official Web Site

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick7340 View Post
    I would go to a shelter and adopt one from there. You could get a mix breed that has the best of all the trated you are looking for.

+1 The best dogs I have ever had were muts that people either dropped off on the side of the road or dogs I picked up at the pound.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick7340 View Post

+1

You will get 100 different answers from 100 different posters. We all love our own dogs, and think they would be the best for someone else, but that doesn't necessarily make the best fit.

Adopt one and save a dog's life!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Administrator
    spend some time browsing here;

Dog Breed Info Centerģ, DBI

tons of good info, quizzes etc to help you.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Mix breed mutts are the best, and let them pick you.

I had a stray mutt that kept hanging around our place that I tried to chase away, I even plinked him in the butt with a BB gun. That stray kept coming back until I gave up and we adopted him.. that was about 6 years ago. He is now the best trained, well mannered, family member I have. He is always glad to see me and has filled the void since our nest has emptied.

Senior Moderator
    If you're willing to work with a high-energy dog, Belgian Malinois can be excellent.

But, you need to get them lots of exercise. A bored Malinois will assign himself / herself a job, and it probably won't be one you'll like.

ABMC Belgian Malinois Rescue - Rescued Belgian Malinois

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Administrator
    Mali's are great dogs, but probably not the best idea for a new or uncommitted owner. They can be a handful like M.L. said.

The are kinda like GSD'S with ADHD.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Black Labrador Retreiver Female.
    Awesome!
    "There is no such thing as too much ammo. Unless you're swimming!"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links