Crappy day, just thought I'd share

This is a discussion on Crappy day, just thought I'd share within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I work for a company that is consolidating 3 sites in the Dallas area to a single site in Plano and this week just plain ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crappy day, just thought I'd share

Crappy day, just thought I'd share

I work for a company that is consolidating 3 sites in the Dallas area to a single site in Plano and this week just plain sucks.

This is how I feel this week so far:

I knew some of the IT guys on this board would understand the plight of a network engineer planning for server consolidations, technology refresh and at the same time trying to keep things afloat, and then you get someone not scheduled to move just "appear" and complain that nothing works at their desk.

I'm sure this also happens in similar ways in other professions as well.

I'll feel better later. I did just smash a cabinet fan with a hammer , feel kinda special after that!
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Few, all that went over my head, but I feel for ya. Hey, you did get to smash something. So is this an example of what happens when "Paco hits the fan".

Look on the bright side, you said it should only last a week right, at least you can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Keep your chin up.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Nope, more than a week. That is just how I feel this week so far, day 2.

We have been at this for a few months and have at least to the end of 1st quarter to go. This happens when we do things direction less (and I am not referring to the IT department either).

The sad thing is between me, my Boss and another one of my co-workers we have done over 30 of these together, and we are seeing some of the same foolish mistakes being made by other departments that then reflect on IT because of how we have to change and adjust, thus not being able to deliver.

I think I'm gonna go smash something else
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco

Senior Moderator
    I feel your pain, my friend.

Hang in there.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Every occupation has its hazards...

Learn to overlook most of the problems and enjoy life...it's all small stuff...in the bigger picture.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Trust me. It is all perspective.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Is that a young Joe Biden out riding his new trike?

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Hey at least you have a job.........try buying $3.25-$3.50 gas without a job.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Hey at least you have a job
    Most certainly. I am blessed, just frustrated.

I was laid off in 2003, in the Telecom bust while working in Plano. So I know exactly what you mean.

-Paco

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    I think I'm gonna go smash something else
    Better idea. Go shoot something.
    It always makes me feel better.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

I have Taekwondo tonight, and the only other guy in the class is the instructor. So if we pair up I'll just have to take it out on him

-Paco

Hang in there, man. I've worked in IT for over 25 years, so if there were ever a formula for a crappy day, you can believe I mixed it up.

You just need to adjust your attitude. Here's a few aphorisms that should help you get a little perspective on things.

Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Bummer man. You know, I can still remember good days and bad days at work. Lately it seems the 'good' days have been forgotten. It has to be these weird swings in weather we've been having around here. Sometimes it gets to where we wonder if machine operators intentionally screw up their machines.........it's been known to happen, and some of them know exactly how to do it and get the extent of damage they want. Seriously.
    I feel for ya man.

Those De-Motivators are great, I'll be passing them around.

RamRod, I can see what you are talking about, back when I was an employment consultant I would place machinists from time to time and they knew their equipment backwards and forwards, and by sound sometimes. So I can certainly see someone twisting the right nut just far enough to snap after a few runs.

Today is much better, so far. Nothing special planned but hiding out in my server room. Not many people know where it is and those who do think it is too cold to come in .

-Paco

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    Those De-Motivators are great, I'll be passing them around.

RamRod, I can see what you are talking about, back when I was an employment consultant I would place machinists from time to time and they knew their equipment backwards and forwards, and by sound sometimes. So I can certainly see someone twisting the right nut just far enough to snap after a few runs.

Today is much better, so far. Nothing special planned but hiding out in my server room. Not many people know where it is and those who do think it is too cold to come in .
    And you control the access right? Been there friend. Hang in there. Thankfully I don't have to worry about that one too much now. I just took a new job as a Sys Eng with no attachment to any IT/User support(which is what I left at the last job).

When in doubt...
    • grab laptop
    • grap foldie chair(preferably with foot rest and can holder)
    • grab a few gallons of caffeinated beverages
    • enter data center/computer room
    • verify no one else has access
    • sit down and enjoy the show.

Roy: [answers phone] Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing? ... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on.
    Roy: Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes.
    Moss: Hello IT. Yuhuh. Have you tried forcing an unexpected reboot?
    Roy: No, there you go, I just heard it come on. No, that's the music you hear when it comes on. No, that's the music you hear when... I'm sorry, are you from the past?
    Moss: You see the driver hooks a function by patching the system call table so it's not safe to unload it unless another thread is about to jump in there and do its stuff. And you don't want to end up in the middle of invalid memory. [laughs] Hello?
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links