Political Topics/Alternate Forum? Updated with link

This is a discussion on Political Topics/Alternate Forum? Updated with link within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I love this forum, not just because of the topic, but because of how well educated, informed, and polite our member base is. With that ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Political Topics/Alternate Forum? Updated with link

Political Topics/Alternate Forum? Updated with link

I love this forum, not just because of the topic, but because of how well educated, informed, and polite our member base is.

With that said, this coming election is without a doubt, the most important election that has occurred in my lifetime, and I was wondering if there is another forum that you guys frequent that has similar etiquette and respectfulness that this site has.

I find this election too important to sit out on the political debate, and yet, do not wish to partake in the trivial, nonsensical, debasing commentary that is frequent in many of the online forums.

I deeply respect this forum's membership and opinions, and would very much enjoy a forum dedicated, or that allowed, political discourse that included many of the members of DC.

Do any of you know of such a forum, or would you be interested in joining such a forum if others of us would, at least until November.

For me, DC was one of the first online forums I ever joined, and since then, I have joined a few others and have been greatly disappointed, both with the level of knowledge, and the respectfulness that was shown to their fellow members.

DC will always be my favorite forum, but for the next 2 months or so, my 2A rights are not the only ones that are under the gun.

So, I guess what I am asking is, will a member of this forum endorse another online forum where political discourse is allowed, and will members of this forum, who I respect greatly, join that other forum so that I may hear your opinions, thoughts, and arguments.

Obviously, I know some of you from several different forums; some of which allow political discourse, some do not, and as yet, none of the disagreements seem to have spilled over to this forum.

If we do set something like this up, I would greatly appreciate, and in fact, implore you to 'leave it at the door', so to speak.

Regards,
    Kerb

ETA: Please do not mention any political topics or ideals in this thread.

Dukalmighty, Sixto, Hotguns, Retsupt99, ccw9mm, Redneck Repairs, TN Mike, ExSoldier, Miggy, nn, Rock and Glock, RamRod, Raevan, Thumper, Supertac45, Nick, maclean3, OD, Bark'n, Cupcake, semperfi.45, Janq, Ben Hennessy, rodc13, Opfor, AZ Husker, Tubby45, JonInNY, goawayfarm, 64zebra, kentuckycarry, BikerRN, matiki, friesepferd, obxned, paramedic70002, SixBravo, goldshellback, cdwolf, David in FL, Rob99VMI04, Chooie, SelfDefense, exactlymypoint, ...And I'm sure a hundred others that I am not recalling, I appreciate all of your input and have learned a lot from all of you, and hope you may be among those that would consider it. (I specifically did not mention Mod's/Admin, although I have learned a lot from all of you, to keep this kind of separated.)
    Last edited by Kerbouchard; September 10th, 2008 at 01:03 PM.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

2. Remove Ads

DC Founder
    I almost started one myself, but didn't think I had the time necessary to make it successful. There's one, though, that I would visit every once in a while, but have since forgotten the name. I'll see if I can find a link somewhere....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I'm a member on a forum just for controversial debate. It has strict rules though. First offenses usually result in a permanent ban. No flaming, spamming, trolling, etc. Foul language is allowed as long as it is used in moderation and in a mature way (if that's understandable). Membership is by invite only, and all discussion is to be mature, use proper grammar and spelling, and flaming is not allowed. If you're interested, PM me and I'll talk to the admin about sending you an invite. Religion, ethics, politics, etc. are all topics of discussion.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Kerb, I'm right there with you. I love to read those threads but I rarely reply on them because of the nature and rules here on DC. Truth be told, I have dropped most of the other forums I'm on (save one or two) simply because I like this one so much. Some VERY intelligent and thought-out answers on a wide range of topics. Plus everyone keeps it civil for the most part. I've got a lot of respect for the member base here and kudos to staff and Bumper for doing such an awesome job with it all. I can't tell you how many times I've left a thread completely questioning my notions on certain ideas.

Let me know if you find someplace. I would love to find a forum like this for a few different topics.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

C9, if you could find out if the admin of that forum would take a large number, or perhaps moderate number of people from this forum I would appreciate it.

It sounds like a good forum, and I can understand the reasons behind the membership by invite only, but it may prove troublesome considering what I was hoping to accomplish.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

Who is John Galt?

I'm in. I too think this is the most important election of our time (my time anyway) and would appreciate a forum where one could discuss the topics as adults and not flaming idiots.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Hi Kerb...

Include me on your search for such a place. There might be forums that you could start yourself, that are Internet and not server based, and kleep it limited to invitees only.

Thanks for the kudos in your OP. I think we have a great group of guys and gals here, all polite and civil, which is very difficult to do when there are conflicting opinions. Kudos to the moderators as well, for keeping an eye on us.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Administrator
    I'd be interested too. There are plenty of other forums out there to join, but the membership here has a history with me, making a debate more fun. What I mean is, we have be able to get to know each other. I know when a lot of members are being sarcastic, and most can tell when I'm goofing around or not.
    Joining a new forum is not something I wish to do because I'm not willing to put as much time in as I do this community. I spend a lot of time here because I have fun... but not being able to have a friendly political debate is a drawback. I do understand that Bumper doesnt want the extra headache, I probably wouldnt too.

Perhaps have a subforum on a trial basis? Or have one that goes away after the elections... I have no idea of whats involved with all that though. You would probably need a moderator just for that sub forum.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Perhaps have a subforum on a trial basis? Or have one that goes away after the elections... I have no idea of whats involved with all that though. You would probably need a moderator just for that sub forum.
    That's not a bad idea SIXTO. Maybe it could be done for DC members that have a known history, maybe 500 or 1000 posts.

But, of course, on the other hand, that might be considered snobbish and elite by other members that were not invited, and may not work in the DC forum community.

If there were to be an all-access political heading, I'm sure it would degenerate rapidly, (from posts that we've all seen recently) and would have to be shut down.

Best bet, is for us to somehow, someway start our own. You know, there are plenty of free blogging sites on the Internet. Maybe someone could start a blog and PM prospective members. Just a thought. (http://www.blogger.com)

If there is enough interest, I would be willing to start one, but it would be totally unmoderated.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Jon, see the thing is, Bumper has repeatedly said he does not want political posts on DC, in the main forum, or any sub forums.

It would have to be something off-site, and I believe it would need moderators so that things would not get out of hand. If it were limited to members of this forum, self-moderation might work, although I doubt it, considering how many threads there are of 'Why did my post get deleted?'.

I, also, am not in favor of a post count requirement for anything because this forum has been inherently against 'newbie bashing' or padding posts. Just because somebody has just found this forum does not mean their opinion, experience or ideals are any less valid. I do understand the 'getting to know each other' part of it, but I do not think it is an equal trade off.

It has been suggested to add a political sub-forum to DC many times, and Bumper has repeatedly declined. I would suggest we limit ourselves to an off-site possibility.

Who is John Galt?

Administrator
    If its done by invite only, moderation would be kept to a min. If somebody becomes a problem, they go away.

As a side note, if a sub forum was created on DC, wouldnt it make it easier to keep the politics where it belongs and the rest of the forum as it was intended?
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Tho i read some of the " political " sub forum posts where such are allowed I seldom post to the threads . More often than not they turn into a childish display of " he hit me back first " than the caliber wars do . I have my political opinions , and as my opinions on Religion they are best kept to myself for the most part . Its not likely that anyone will be eloquent enough to change my mind on them , nor is it likely i will change anyone elses . Politics , Religion , Caliber , and glock v 1911 are just topics where folks get way too emotionally invested to rationally discuss the topic(s) for long . I do surf some blogs that are invested politically as well as sites like free republic and democratic underground and just feel that a sub forum here would be a mistake that would take 90% of the total mod time to have any signal to noise ratio at all , and then only create hard feelings among the members and staff . This is a fantastic forum for its stated purpose in part because the " hot button " issues are strictly policed by the mod team before any real " bottom feeding " posts can get going on threads . The mods dont need another headache , heck folks like me are problem enough for them as it is .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

VIP Member
    Although I do belong to a couple of other forums....This one is the only one I participate in....The others I just read what others post, without replying.

I would probably do the same in the political arena as well. People tend to get very emotional in politics......I think that is why when a thread gets going here they tend to degrade quickly & get 'closed'. While firearms may be controversial & emotional as well, the people that participate here are 99% pro-gun.........Not the case in politics. On any given political topic, half the country will disagree with you. In this country we can't even get the Supreme Court to agree unanimously.

I make no secret that I'm conservative in my views, but I also don't go around beating my head against brick walls arguing with someone who isn't going to react reasonably & argue with facts, but with emotional responses.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Redneck, gowawayfarm, I appreciate your input, but I am not asking for a sub-forum here. I am wondering if a group of our members could decide on a separate forum to visit to exchange ideas on topics outside of the 2A.

I know DC is never going to have a political forum. That has been discussed and requested many times. I would rather this thread not rehash that same thing.

I just wanted to know if there is some other forum out there where the members are respectful where some of us could visit to have a discourse on topics that are prohibited here.

Perhaps, you guys are right and there is no such place.

I'm starting to think that Sixto might be right and that it needs to be a new, 'invite only' forum, although C9H13NO3 may have a lead on a forum that is already established that may be a perfect fit.

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Kerbouchard, check your PMs.

Everyone else interested, I'll post up or PM a link if the admin is down with more people. I'm sure he will be.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links