Foot In Mouth of the Week - Page 2

Foot In Mouth of the Week

This is a discussion on Foot In Mouth of the Week within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Verdammt , I need to type faster. Now it looks like I copied from Matt. As far as the tazer thing, I don't think the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Verdammt, I need to type faster. Now it looks like I copied from Matt.

As far as the tazer thing, I don't think the current would actually reach the device since you can be touching a person who gets tazed and not get the current.
    I have never been tasered and it's not on my to-do-list, but judging from a demonstration I saw on TV, the electrodes can be up to a foot apart when they hit. Should be safe if the perp is carrying the bomb in a bag, but not good when he has the explosives strapped to his chest. Especially in the case of plastic explosives, which AFAIK are detonated by electric current.

Also, the electric current causes the targets muscles to spasm, so he might "accidentally" push the button. Again, I'm just guessing here, but I can imagine that there is at least a possibilty that the body will react with sudden relaxation when struck by a bullet. Which is just as inconvenient when the perp uses a deadman switch.

I think there is no perfect solution, but the only good mad bomber is a dead mad bomber. If you aren't one, don't behave like or say you're one. Too much to ask? Then how about some extra-long sleeves?
    "So this is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause."
    - Senator Padmé Amidala, "Revenge of the Sith"

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Air Marshalls aren't given the so-called less than lethal devices for very good reasons, like when you are flying, releasing CS gas or OC in a enclosed environment is a very bad idea for the crew and passengers (it would take quite a while to clear it out of a jetliner). A discharge from an errant Taser shot could fry the electronics on a jetliner (thousands of volts through the fly by wire systems that operate on millivolts - not good).

And the Air Marshalls had no way of knowing he did not have a bomb, just like if a guy points a realistic (but fake) gun at you and says "I'm gonna kill you". A reasonable person would fear for their life and could justifiably kill him.

An appropriate use of force and a good shoot.

VIP Member
    And what would Mr. A's letter have looked like if the Air Marshall had not shot the guy and he had detonated a bomb taking out an entire airliner loaded with fuel that proceeded to take a big chunk out of MIA, killing who knows how many people?

He would likely be criticizing the FAM for not protecting the public...

They will never get it.

-scott-

I think one important factor in this case is the fact that they guy was off his medications. People, you are prescribed things for a reason and one main reason is to allow you to function normally in society. He might use the logic that it is his body and his decision to take or not take his meds. Well other people use the same argument when it comes to illegal drugs. In both cases, you eventually will cross over and negativly impact other members of society.

Senior Moderator
    This dumb broad who lived under Argentinian Military dictatorships with nightime raids, concentration camps and Desaparecidos (Disappeared) had the gall to say that USA LEO's are worse that those frigging facists
    Dude...although I applaud your efforts for trying...

you violated the first rule of argueing...

NEVER argue with cannon-fodder !!!

It just serves to annoy you both....

Effective range of a Taser air cartridge=21 ft.
    Yeah, I want to be within 21 ft of an explosive device!
    I love to hear the opinions of people that do not have a clue how the real world works. The people that have never had to deal with a truly stressful situation but have an opinion for everything can pound sand.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Miggy - plain fact dude - some folks just do not (and never will) - get it!!!
    You pegged it on the head.
    Seek safety at the heart of danger.

Live Easy, Die Hard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links