Viruses

This is a discussion on Viruses within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; While AVG + Adaware is a great combination, it won't help you much with the virus. Download Malwarebytes Anit-Malware . It's free and is amazing ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Viruses

While AVG + Adaware is a great combination, it won't help you much with the virus.

Download Malwarebytes Anit-Malware. It's free and is amazing at removing the virus. Make sure to run the scan in safe mode or it will take forever though.

2. Remove Ads

For what it is worth I teach electronics, and I did use Nortons for years, but it slowed my computer down badly. I now use Avast. It is by far the best free anti virus program out there. It downloads updates sometimes twice a day. Can not be beat for a free program. These guys do comerical anti virus for large company, but home use is free.

I use Spybot as it runs a program in the back ground that will not allow changes to be made to the registery without your premission, and run it once a week to do a scan. Good at shopping spy bots.

I use Adaware, also free. It is very good on tracking cookies.

I have not had any problems since I started running all three. But I do not know how many I have had to fix for people at work. The one that is a REAL problem is a verision of Anti Virus 2008, Now called Anti Virus 2009. Really a bad program.

Quote Originally Posted by tankdriver View Post
    The one that is a REAL problem is a verision of Anti Virus 2008, Now called Anti Virus 2009. Really a bad program.

Thats the one I think he has, You really only have two choices either take it to someone who has experience in removeing AntiVirus XP 2009 or FDisk, Format and reload.
    But you are not going to be able to just run the listed removal tools and software and expect them to remove this one. It is a real nasty one. I have removed it from over 20 computers for clients I network security consult for and it takes allot of work and time. All anyone has ever done is dig the hole deeper make my job harder and more money
    In God we trust, Everyone else we monitor...

Craiger...whats your solution in killing it properly?
    (You cam PM me if you don't want to share your "trade secrets" in the wild)
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Quote Originally Posted by dunndw View Post
    Craiger...whats your solution in killing it properly?
    (You cam PM me if you don't want to share your "trade secrets" in the wild)
    PM Sent

I think it may be time for a clean install...

Don't forget to back up everything you want to save..

If you do have to install try out this stuff..
    Paragon Drive Backup: disk backup, system restore and hard disk imaging

Good luck..

Quote Originally Posted by Craiger View Post
    Thats the one I think he has, You really only have two choices either take it to someone who has experience in removeing AntiVirus XP 2009 or FDisk, Format and reload.
    But you are not going to be able to just run the listed removal tools and software and expect them to remove this one. It is a real nasty one. I have removed it from over 20 computers for clients I network security consult for and it takes allot of work and time. All anyone has ever done is dig the hole deeper make my job harder and more money
    It took me almost 6 hours to clean one at work. I ran spybot and adaware in safe mode several times before getting most of it, then manually removed a lot of files, folders, and reg entries before getting clean.

Quote Originally Posted by tankdriver View Post
    It took me almost 6 hours to clean one at work. I ran spybot and adaware in safe mode several times before getting most of it, then manually removed a lot of files, folders, and reg entries before getting clean.
    Oh, its a good one that is for sure, Its the manually removing the reg entries that you can't easy walk folks through. Most just want to download the magic tool, and for this infection you have to know what to look for and delete in the registry and how to reset all the policies.

As a former system admin, I went through evaluating several antivirus programs and their spyware counterparts. The two I finally settled on were:

Bitdefender - This antivirus program is awesome. It has won awards from PCWorld, and has stopped everything thrown at it. It also updates every hour on the hour.

For ant spyware IO use Spybot, because it is free, and Bitdefender does an outstanding job of keeping a lot of spyware out period. I think the best spyware I have encountered that I had to pay for was counterspy. I am running Vista now, so my firewall I am using is the one with Vista. I also use the firewall that came with my wireless router (linksys Wireless N) and have it set up for maximum security, so it works pretty well. I haven't had the chance to test Vista's firewall on its own, but I guess it is much better than XPs.

I saw a lot of folks advocating AVG, and it is an excellent free choice as well.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links