Viruses

This is a discussion on Viruses within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Please help me find some good freeware anitvirus software. I have a computer that has been infected and I need help cleaning it up. Thanks ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Viruses

Viruses

Please help me find some good freeware anitvirus software. I have a computer that has been infected and I need help cleaning it up. Thanks in advance.
    Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company.- George Washington
    Serving Since 1985- "Airborne"

2. Remove Ads

eww
    AVG and Avast are decent free programs. There is an extremly nasty virus going around. It starts as a popup that looks like an official Windows alert, complete with the Windows logo. It informs you that you are infected with a trojan and to click on the box to remove it. Once you do your machine is infected. I've seen it on about two dozen machines so far and it is not easy to get rid of.

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eww View Post
    AVG and Avast are decent free programs. There is an extremly nasty virus going around. It starts as a popup that looks like an official Windows alert, complete with the Windows logo. It informs you that you are infected with a trojan and to click on the box to remove it. Once you do your machine is infected. I've seen it on about two dozen machines so far and it is not easy to get rid of.
    That one fried my hard drive.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

I'm currently using AVG and Spyware Terminator. Spybot is also a good spyware eliminator. Mostly AV software is a preventive measure. Using windows complicates things a bit since some of the files go to the system restore where they would need to be removed manually. I used Norton for years before. Check on CNet.com for freeware A-V and others. Best source I know of.
    free anti-virus removal software - CNET Reviews

Administrator
    You should also install CCleaner. It's totally free.
    I use it every day and I just delete everything it finds.

Erase Web travels & more - Downloads from The Kim Komando Radio Show & Web site

Erase Web travels & more

Description:
    When you use your PC, there are a lot of traces left all over. There's your Web history, Windows' temporary files and cookies. Fortunately, this free program makes easy work to get rid of those traces.

It can also clean out file fragments and uninstall old programs for you. That could all save you a lot of disk space.

CCleaner lets you specify exactly what types of items it can delete. You can also choose to analyze your disk first. Then you can preview everything that CCleaner plans to delete. And it automatically makes backups if it cleans your Registry.

Administrator
    Good helpful additions there southbound.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    I use Avast on my PCs that don't have a subscription service. It works very well for free.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

Get the absolute best protection...I have it..

Apple iMac...24" screen...4 gigs of RAM...no virus problems...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

While it's not free, NOD32 from ESET is what I use now. When my last computer became infected with a couple of Trojans while running Norton, NOD32 is what my local computer company used to clean the computer and get it to running condition again. Been using it for two years now with no problems.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

The best way to clean a virus is this old DOS command, FDISK.

I use AVG on my personal computers, as well as AdAware and Spybot Search and Destroy (both).
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Anyone else using Prevx 2.0??

I have had no interruptions to my system with it, and found an evil virus in my GF's PC that came through Limewire. All good now.
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

I second using Nod32. It is by far the best I've found. Also second the AVG, that wasn't bad.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

+1 southbound listed the essentials for a good protected Windows PC.

I must admit, that Linux has came along way, and Ubuntu can do everything the standard user needs without the headache of Viri and Spyware. There are plenty of other distro's out there, but this one is so easy to install, and it basically installs itself onto the PC. Users can also test drive it, and see if they want to install it before they commit to installation. Another positive, it can dual boot your PC, and you can keep Mico$oft too.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes."
    --Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    Look at Antivirus, anti-spyware, anti-spam, firewall. Protect yourself with Panda Security Free scan or paid
    I have had the paid version for about three yrs.
    When I recently got a new virus, they isolated it and had a fix to me in a day. Great customer service.
    They are based in SPAIN. Core business is commercial/government mainframe security.
    Annual license is good for three machines.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links