And Yet Another Pit Bull Infant Fatality

This is a discussion on And Yet Another Pit Bull Infant Fatality within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The Associated Press: Family's 2 pit bulls kill infant in Nevada home Family's 2 pit bulls kill infant in Nevada home 2 hours ago LAS ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: And Yet Another Pit Bull Infant Fatality

And Yet Another Pit Bull Infant Fatality

The Associated Press: Family's 2 pit bulls kill infant in Nevada home

Family's 2 pit bulls kill infant in Nevada home
    2 hours ago

LAS VEGAS (AP) — A family's two pit bulls burst into the house from the backyard to attack a 4-month girl, mauling her to death even as her grandmother tried to escape with the baby into another room, police said.

The grandmother, who was baby-sitting at the time of the attack Friday, was hospitalized Saturday with non-life-threatening injuries.

The dogs apparently entered the house in North Las Vegas by bursting through a screen door and starting attacking the baby in her stroller, police said.

"They just went right for the little girl," North Las Vegas police Chief Joseph Forti told the Las Vegas Review-Journal.

The grandmother told authorities she tried to take the girl into another room, but the dogs forced their way in before she could close the door.

Police said the dogs were still acting aggressively when officers arrived. They shot and killed the pit bulls.

The names of the baby and her grandmother were not immediately released.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    bummer
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Do NOT start a dog breed argument out of this. The posts will be deleted. There are plenty of other CLOSED threads to read if you want to re-live that type of discussion.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

It's the breed of owners at fault, the dogs are what they are. It really sucks to here these stories because owners aren't responsible for their pets.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Perhaps the breed in the title should be removed as well.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Well, we could get on all kinds of things that are "preventable"..... and that we all believe are unnecessary and stupid to have people of any age dying from ..... such as drunk drivers, gang bangers who shoot people for fun and who at times hit babies and kids as well, domestic violence resulting in death, drugs, drug wars, etc. Or we could stay on animals where people living in the woods wonder why the black bear attacked their small child, left alone, in the backyard. Or , reports in Florida when alligators eat or kill a small child who was left unattended or wandering too close to the alligators. Same occurs with visitors with small dogs who wander by them too. Or the kids who wander out to the family pond to find an alligator liked their pond too. Or even parents who kill their children out of anger, on purpose, or by accident. Or those killed backing out of their driveway not realizing the child was behind their car.

Any death of any child is bad. Seems the one's who like to post about dogs, just want to push "one agenda" about one breed of dog, rather than their owners... to make some point.

I'm not sure any of these subjects have a place on this forum.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I'm not sure any of these subjects have a place on this forum.
    Me neither....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

I'm thinking if grandma was packing she could of saved her granddaughter from a dog attack
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    They shot and killed the pit bulls.

This is the only good news in this story.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    Me neither....

So let's just cover all these incidents up? Protect everyone from the real world like the precious snowflakes we are? The truth hurts. Tell it like it is!

Last time I checked this is the "Off Topic" forum, open to ANYTHING not against posted forum rules. Not anti-free speech rhetoric. What is this, the THR forum or something?

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
    So let's just cover all these incidents up? Protect everyone from the real world like the precious snowflakes we are? The truth hurts. Tell it like it is!

Last time I checked this is the "Off Topic" forum, open to ANYTHING not against posted forum rules. Not anti-free speech rhetoric. What is this, the THR forum or something?
    Rustynuts, please don't take the following the wrong way. It's not really a lecture or anything, just my opinions...

Freedom of speech doesn't apply here. This is a privately owned and operated forum, and we are expected to abide by the rules set forth by Bumper. I'm all for free speech, but Bumper's right. Politics, religion, pitbulls, all seem to cause heated arguments that this forum is better without. I've seen on other forums where one argument will get carried into other threads, deteriorating the entire forum's atmsphere in a short period of time.

I've been a member less than a year, but I can't count the number of pitbull threads I've seen started in that time and most of them degenerate into a big argument before being closed.

I love this forum, and will abide by the rules because I've seen them work to keep this a great place to escape the crap you see in a lot of other places.

Thank you Bumper and team.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

OK, I get the message! I promise not to post more pit bull threads. Don't wish to rock the boat, as I like this forum too much!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
    Because some of us are wondering what this has to do with this forum, you accuse me of "covering up" and trying to "protect everyone from the real world"? The truth doesn't hurt me at all.

Dogs have been attacking people for thousands of years; this is nothing new. It has no connection to our focus because there was no "defensive situation" (it was infants). These threads are always controversial and cause the same posts to be made in every single one posted. It becomes a dog owner vs "rest of the world" argument. Dog owners weigh in and then contrary opinion weighs in. Rinse and repeat, repeatedly. In the end, nothing is gained except to stir up dog owners that have to defend the breed of their dog. I, by the way, do not own a pit bull....

I'll PM you on this one, but if you have a problem with the way this forum is run, take it up with me by PM or hit the "X" in the upper right corner of your browser; if you have a problem with THR, take it up with them....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Like I posted, I don't think it depends on the breed of dog but when an attack occurs how many of them could of been stopped before there was a fatality or serious injury if the victim or somebody close by witnessing the attack had a concealed handgun.It's not just 2 legged animals we need to be concerned about when it comes to our safety
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

pax
    Dogs have been attacking people for thousands of years; this is nothing new. It has no connection to our focus because there was no "defensive situation" (it was infants).
    Grandma could have been carrying, and thus it could have been a defensive situation. Would having a firearm have given her more options? It honestly doesn't sound like it would have -- her hands were full of baby, after all.

The reality is that animal attacks usually happen very fast and are very chaotic.

What a horrifying situation. My heart really goes out to the grandma in this case. *shudder* I hate to think what the scene must have looked like.

Couple years ago, a toddler got killed by a pack of dogs just down the road from me. Similar situation: grandparents were watching him as he played in the yard. The dogs basically just rushed in and got him. I'm not sure anything at all could have been done. If the grandparents had been packing, they could have shot -- maybe. But with multiple animals, and the child in the midst of the pack, it's more likely that the confused rushing tumultous scene would have prevented them from being able to fire without shooting the toddler at the same time, and that killing one animal would not have deterred the others. Animals don't have the human capacity to reason, after all.

A big stick?

Pepper spray?

A taser?

It pains me to think that not all scenarios are survivable. There should be a happy ending...

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links