Today is weird, not looking forward to tonight...

This is a discussion on Today is weird, not looking forward to tonight... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My first EMS call this morning was for a man who fell into a dumpster, breaking his leg. Fire had to extricate. We are rural. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Today is weird, not looking forward to tonight...

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Today is weird, not looking forward to tonight...

My first EMS call this morning was for a man who fell into a dumpster, breaking his leg. Fire had to extricate. We are rural. This is one of those dumpsters you drive up a hill and toss your household waste into.

Second call, woman having chest pain on the highway, in a car that is getting a ticket. Her blood pressure was 240/150. In case you're wondering, yes that is pretty dang high, putting her in danger of having a stroke. She refuses transport because we won't bypass the hospital that is five miles away and take her to one that is twenty five miles away. While I am trying to take her blood pressure, this HUGE horsefly zooms into the car and she proceeds to do her best impression of what a seizure patient would look like if they could remain conscious and task oriented during the seizure. Then, the deputy informs the driver (her daughter) that she is suspended and can't drive, so Mrs. Hypertension gets to drive the car. I think if her pressure hadn't been that high, the driver would have gone to the courthouse in cuffs. Hope they made it...

Third call, seventy five year old female face plants into concrete at a birthday party, with a five centimeter laceration outside her eye socket. When we pull up, family is busy putting up a tent, apparently "grandma fell down and split her skull open" didn't register to them.

Want to piss off a medic? When you see them coming up behind you, wait til you get to a curve, then slam on the brakes, pull two feet off the road, and come to a complete stop. They can't see around you, and they have to go into opposing traffic to get around you. Fun times...
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

As you probably figured out by now it is a full moon tonight.

Serving the public can be trying at times. I'm glad there are people willing to do it, as well as work weekends.

After hearing stories like yours, and seeing similar things often, sometimes I'm not sure whether or not I like humans.

Hope you have a safe evening.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Well, good luck. I'll trade you for a day.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Sound like it was not your day...no sense in buying a lottery ticket.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    My first EMS call this morning was for a man who fell into a dumpster, breaking his leg. Fire had to extricate. We are rural. This is one of those dumpsters you drive up a hill and toss your household waste into.

Second call, woman having chest pain on the highway, in a car that is getting a ticket. Her blood pressure was 240/150. In case you're wondering, yes that is pretty dang high, putting her in danger of having a stroke. She refuses transport because we won't bypass the hospital that is five miles away and take her to one that is twenty five miles away. While I am trying to take her blood pressure, this HUGE horsefly zooms into the car and she proceeds to do her best impression of what a seizure patient would look like if they could remain conscious and task oriented during the seizure. Then, the deputy informs the driver (her daughter) that she is suspended and can't drive, so Mrs. Hypertension gets to drive the car. I think if her pressure hadn't been that high, the driver would have gone to the courthouse in cuffs. Hope they made it...

Third call, seventy five year old female face plants into concrete at a birthday party, with a five centimeter laceration outside her eye socket. When we pull up, family is busy putting up a tent, apparently "grandma fell down and split her skull open" didn't register to them.

Want to piss off a medic? When you see them coming up behind you, wait til you get to a curve, then slam on the brakes, pull two feet off the road, and come to a complete stop. They can't see around you, and they have to go into opposing traffic to get around you. Fun times...
    I know exactly how that goes, brother.

One fine evening on a day that had gone much like that, I was sitting in the bay on the front step of the wagon with the shift Lt. and my driver on the medic unit, who looked out upon the clear evening sky, with the full moon rising into the sunset sky and proclaimed "It's been one of those days. Somebody's gonna get shot, stabbed, or clubbed like a baby seal out there tonight."

He was, of course, right. We probably slept 30 minutes that whole evening. Including back to back codes just to keep things interesting.

That guy was a poo magnet.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Dawg View Post
    +1 That's the first thing that came tomy mind while reading this!

Just think, tomorrow's Monday!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Dawg View Post
    Zackly what I was tinking!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post

Sirens and lights? They don't mean anything anymore! Certainly I'm more important than having to pull over and STOP on the RIGHT!
    "Just blame Sixto"

When I was stationed in Germany, I was in Frankfurt on the weekend. A few fire trucks, ambulances and polizei cars went flying by. As the cars pulled over, one would not move out of the way. So the polizei car squeezed by him, and the fire truck stopped behind him and then inched forward and pushed him clear out of the way. The guy kept his brakes locked the entire time. After they passed, the last officer pulled over and issued the man a ticket for blocking an emergency vehicle, impeding a police investigation, causing a MVA with an emergency vehicle, no rear license plate and no brake lights.
    The polizei stuck around long enough to answer our questions on what happened and said that they've dragged people out of cars and moved the cars out of the way.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    After riding an ambulance as a volunteer for 22 years, I have many memories of this and many more "fun times" And even though it's been 17 years since my last call, I still remember. Glad you're safe.

Village of Jacksonville.
    Grandma had a heart attack.
    As we were taking her away in full code the family was in a knock down drag out fist fight over who got her satellite dish.

Village of Glouster.
    Grampa had a coronary in the living room.
    Family was continuing to eat Thanksgiving dinner in the kitchen while we started the code right where he fell.

Lights and siren transfer from Athens to Children's in Columbus.
    A fellow on the northbound two lane not only would not get out of the left hand lane, he moved to block when the squad tried to swing over to pass on the right.
    It was the first generation cell phone mounted on the bulkhead and for a miracle it worked.
    This happened just as you leave Lancaster on the north end.
    There's a State Highway Patrol post near Lancaster.
    Three cruisers came wheeling around the squad.
    Squad backed off and OHP boxed the driver and crowded him off to the shoulder.

Know exactly what you're talking about, amigo.
    Wore a medic's blue shirt for many years!
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Full moon was my first thought too. Not just any full moon tho, this is the the autumnal Harvest Moon.
    Spent several years as a Firefighter.
    Take care out there; it's gonna get wierder!
    This is the law;
    The purpose of fighting is to win.
    There is no possible victory in defense.
    The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either.
    The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental. - John Steinbeck

Having spent 10 years working nights in one of the busiest trauma centers in the country, I can tell you the full moon stuff is for real! A full moon after a rain storm is the worst of the worst! Even the BG's keep their guns out of the rain, but they like to pop a few rounds after words to make sure no moisture left in the barrel!
    I carry a gun because cops are too heavy!
    Take my advice, Don't take my advice!

Hope ya made it through the night OK.

Thanks for your service to those in need, too bad you can't the ones who do stupid things.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links