Wild day/night in the midwest

This is a discussion on Wild day/night in the midwest within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; We got hit with Ike, 75mph winds did a lot of damage. Something like 90% of the Cinci metro area is without power. There are ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Administrator

We got hit with Ike, 75mph winds did a lot of damage. Something like 90% of the Cinci metro area is without power. There are tons of trees downs, several deaths... I was working yesterday and it was unreal. I've never seen anything like it in Ohio.
    It did confirm my conviction that in general, people are stupid. The things they do....

My house had some of its siding stripped and the ridge caps torn away from the roof, I havent got on the roof yet to inspect the rest; thats just what I could see from the ground. I guess I got lucky.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Lead Moderator
    Glad you made it thru o.k. Not much but rain here in MI.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Glad you made it thru o.k. Not much but rain here in MI.
    That was the weird part, we didnt get any rain. It was a pretty day other than the wind... very surreal. In open areas, there were huge dust clouds and debris flying around every where.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Same here in Upstate NY, high winds and flying debris. No rain just a very nice warm strong wind.
    Power outages wide spread now.
    Different to say the least.

Administrator
    We even had some looting going on in the inner city.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Sorry about the house Sixto. You came thru o.k., and that is what is important.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    Sorry about the house Sixto. You came thru o.k., and that is what is important.
    Thanks, but I'm not sweating my damage after seeing all night what a lot of others are dealing with.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    We even had some looting going on in the inner city.
    As we call it in Detroit: Tuesday
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    As we call it in Detroit: Tuesday
    Hahaha. Yeah, the usual locations were looted; the "urban clothiers" and the pay as you go cell phone stores.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    We got hit with Ike, 75mph winds did a lot of damage. Something like 90% of the Cinci metro area is without power. There are tons of trees downs, several deaths... I was working yesterday and it was unreal. I've never seen anything like it in Ohio.
    It did confirm my conviction that in general, people are stupid. The things they do....

My house had some of its siding stripped and the ridge caps torn away from the roof, I havent got on the roof yet to inspect the rest; thats just what I could see from the ground. I guess I got lucky.
    It sounds like you had worse weather than we did here near the Gulf, and we were just east of the eye. We were out of power for a few hours only. About 3 inches of rain and no apparent damage. We're surrounded by "big woods" and the trees help dampen the winds off of us. I've been busy and haven't watched the local news though there may very well be damage nearby that I don't know about.

Regarding looters. During Gustav in Baton Rouge, some motorists happened to see the front end of some sort of CD/DVD retail store collapse and open up. Two of the motorists instantly drove right to the store and blocked the wrecked entrance with their cars making it an unattractive target for potential looters and stayed there until the police could get on the scene I suppose the BR residents had visions of New Orleans Katrina looting fresh in their minds.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Sorry to hear about the damage up there. Sounds like you all got worse winds than we did here. Driving to work yesterday morning @ 0430, I saw clouds like I've never seen before and had to navigate a large tree branch in the middle of our county road. Yesterday was a nice day temp wise and this morning it's 55. You guys have looters up there eh? Are those permit only hunts up there in the north or is there a specific season? Thinking back to my Wichita days, I think one could bag three on the first day of riots, and if the riots lasted more than three days one could bag one more after 72 hours so long as it wasn't within one mile of the KU campus.
    Good luck up there with the reconstruction efforts and all.

Here in south Texas I was driving to McAllen from Edinburg about 10 miles North,I had nothing but overcast skies and sprinkles in Edinburg ,in McAllen they had street flooding and I just turned around and came back home ,the water was at least a 18" deep in spots
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Administrator
    A lot of businesses are closed due to no power, most of my neighbors are out inspecting damage. Its just really odd around here.

One of the really dumb things people are doing is driving around to find an open gas station.
    "Just blame Sixto"

hurricane ike

hey sixto, what side of cincy are you on. i have some family
    that live in the batavia area. did'nt think ike would have an
    impact like you're describing. i'll have to give them a call and
    see how things are going there.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Here on the West side of MI it has rained for 4 days straight. We are having some flooding problems, some roads closed, lots of people with water in their basements. Total rainfall measured over 10". We're just all glad it wasn't snow.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links