Weight Loss Thread - Page 2

Weight Loss Thread

This is a discussion on Weight Loss Thread within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Cupcake I'm sure TnMike will chime in...there's an inspiration. Oh, and Mike, I went out and bought a card reader so I ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Weight Loss Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post

I'm sure TnMike will chime in...there's an inspiration. Oh, and Mike, I went out and bought a card reader so I can get pics off my camera. You'll have incoming perhaps tomorrow.
    Can't wait to see the progress Cupcake!

As for weight loss, I can tell you my story but a few pictures are worth a thousand words. Boys and girls, steel yourselves, you are about to see a shirtless fat guy on an elliptical machine... This picture was taken when I had lost my fist 40 pounds or so. I was a bit bigger than this when I actually started the transformation.

And me making the "Muscle man pose" while a big fat dude....

And 9 months later....

And last...a picture I took in the gym on the 5th of September, a little less than 2 weeks ago.

I went from 320 or so to a low of 150 in 9 months. I did it almost entirely with a lot of cardio. Mostly a Nordic Track 938 elliptical trainer.

In addition to the cardio I kept my caloric intake at about 1600 calories per day, counted carbs, and burned a minimum of 2500 calories per day on the elliptical.

I ate (and still do) 6 times a day. Small meals/snacks. This is a diabetic diet that is designed to keep the blood sugar level through out the day but has the added benefit of kicking the metabolism into high gear as well. Basically, you eat a small amount of food every 6 hours. For instance, breakfast was an egg white omelet or a bowl of cream of wheat, 2 hours later was a protein shake or a protein bar about 100 calories either, 2 hours later was lunch, a baked chicken breast with fat free cottage cheese or something similar. ( I ate a lot of Subway roasted chicken breast subs on wheat, lots of veggies. Still do, had one today in fact) 2 hours later a snack (protein bar) 2 hours later another snack, the 2 hours later dinner. Something sensible, there are lots of diets on the net that you can choose from.

I stopped drinking beer and sodas. I currently drink about a gallon and a half of water per day. That is also a must for someone trying to lose fat.

I would work my butt off every single night on the elliptical. No nights off. After the kids would go to bed, I'd pull it out infront of the TV and put a DVD in and go to town on it for about 2 hours. Then, off to bed after a shower.

My workout routine has changed as I am no longer in the dramatic weight loss phase but now am building muscle. Now, I do cardio on the weekends in the form of riding a bicycle. I ride about 100 miles per weekend, sometimes more sometimes less. I could cut it back more but I really enjoy riding.
    5 nights a week, Monday through Friday, I go to the gym for weight lifting. Monday is Back and Abs, Tuesday is Chest and Abs, Wednesday is Legs and Abs, Thursday is Shoulders and Abs, Friday is Arms and Abs.

I currently weigh 173, and I think I am starting to look pretty decent. I still have a bit of a tummy, but I know that some of it is excess skin and the rest is adipose fat tissue that I may never be able to get rid of without liposuction. I may go down that road someday but, for now, I am still plugging away at it the natural way. The 23 pounds I have put on from my low of 150 is all muscle.

I had my body fat percentage measured at the start of summer and I was at about 16% which isn't too bad considering I was around 42% or higher when I started all this. I would like to get to 12% so I still have a little way to go.

This is the best before and after picture I have, exactly 2 years apart, these are my company ID photos. They made me take a new one because the old one didn't look like me anymore.

One more thing: if I had to do it all over again, I would do lifting in addition to the cardio. The more muscle you build, the more calories you burn all the time, even while you sleep. It take something like 7 times more calories to keep a pound of muscle alive than a pound of fat. So the more muscle you have, the more calories you burn. So if you build muscle easily, you have half of this thing kicked right there. Do it, build the muscle, besides, watching that transformation in the mirror is an amazing boost in moral!

And if anyone wants to see more pics, just say so. I'll show off! This is the first time I have ever been proud of the way I look!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    If you loosely follow the rules of Kosher you will be healthier. Check out The Maker's Diet by Dr. J S Rubin, a Messianic Jew.

Frankly, you can eat a lot of chow each day. You just have to be careful of what you eat.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Can't wait to see the progress Cupcake!

As for weight loss, I can tell you my story but a few pictures are worth a thousand words. Boys and girls, steel yourselves, you are about to see a shirtless fat guy on an elliptical machine... This picture was taken when I had lost my fist 40 pounds or so. I was a bit bigger than this when I actually started the transformation.

And me making the "Muscle man pose" while a big fat dude....

And 9 months later....

And last...a picture I took in the gym on the 5th of September, a little less than 2 weeks ago.

I went from 320 or so to a low of 150 in 9 months. I did it almost entirely with a lot of cardio. Mostly a Nordic Track 938 elliptical trainer.

In addition to the cardio I kept my caloric intake at about 1600 calories per day, counted carbs, and burned a minimum of 2500 calories per day on the elliptical.

I ate (and still do) 6 times a day. Small meals/snacks. This is a diabetic diet that is designed to keep the blood sugar level through out the day but has the added benefit of kicking the metabolism into high gear as well. Basically, you eat a small amount of food every 6 hours. For instance, breakfast was an egg white omelet or a bowl of cream of wheat, 2 hours later was a protein shake or a protein bar about 100 calories either, 2 hours later was lunch, a baked chicken breast with fat free cottage cheese or something similar. ( I ate a lot of Subway roasted chicken breast subs on wheat, lots of veggies. Still do, had one today in fact) 2 hours later a snack (protein bar) 2 hours later another snack, the 2 hours later dinner. Something sensible, there are lots of diets on the net that you can choose from.

I stopped drinking beer and sodas. I currently drink about a gallon and a half of water per day. That is also a must for someone trying to lose fat.

I would work my butt off every single night on the elliptical. No nights off. After the kids would go to bed, I'd pull it out infront of the TV and put a DVD in and go to town on it for about 2 hours. Then, off to bed after a shower.

My workout routine has changed as I am no longer in the dramatic weight loss phase but now am building muscle. Now, I do cardio on the weekends in the form of riding a bicycle. I ride about 100 miles per weekend, sometimes more sometimes less. I could cut it back more but I really enjoy riding.
    5 nights a week, Monday through Friday, I go to the gym for weight lifting. Monday is Back and Abs, Tuesday is Chest and Abs, Wednesday is Legs and Abs, Thursday is Shoulders and Abs, Friday is Arms and Abs.

I currently weigh 173, and I think I am starting to look pretty decent. I still have a bit of a tummy, but I know that some of it is excess skin and the rest is adipose fat tissue that I may never be able to get rid of without liposuction. I may go down that road someday but, for now, I am still plugging away at it the natural way. The 23 pounds I have put on from my low of 150 is all muscle.

I had my body fat percentage measured at the start of summer and I was at about 16% which isn't too bad considering I was around 42% or higher when I started all this. I would like to get to 12% so I still have a little way to go.

This is the best before and after picture I have, exactly 2 years apart, these are my company ID photos. They made me take a new one because the old one didn't look like me anymore.

One more thing: if I had to do it all over again, I would do lifting in addition to the cardio. The more muscle you build, the more calories you burn all the time, even while you sleep. It take something like 7 times more calories to keep a pound of muscle alive than a pound of fat. So the more muscle you have, the more calories you burn. So if you build muscle easily, you have half of this thing kicked right there. Do it, build the muscle, besides, watching that transformation in the mirror is an amazing boost in moral!

And if anyone wants to see more pics, just say so. I'll show off! This is the first time I have ever been proud of the way I look!
    Man this is awesome...
    Read my story.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ed-1994-a.html

Pictures in page 5 & 6

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    I started back in March and weighed 261# at 6' 2", not good. Joined the gym at work and the trainer came up with a full body work out plan that I did M-W-F, and I did an hour or cardio every day.

For breakfast I started making protein shakes using GNC whey isolate powder. Two scoops, a banana, some peanut butter, some non-fat plain yogurt and some skim milk. That will keep me full until past lunch, helping to cut calorie intake. I also started drinking only ice water (takes more energy because you body has to raise the temperature of the water), about 3 - 4 liters a day. Cut my beer intake to one every 2 - 3 days or so.

Protein takes more energy to digest so it helps you lose weight, 1-2 grams protein per pound of body weight. I cut out all sodas, candy, salty and sugary snacks. Added a lot more fresh fruit and veggies.

I did that workout routine for 13 weeks and lost 32#. I then switched to a 'normal' workout routine, (legs one days, arms/shoulders one day, back/abs one day) and still kept up the cardio 5 days a week.

I am currently down to 220#, and went from a size 40 waist to a size 36. I am still at it and want to get to at least a size 34, and drop at least another 10-15 lbs around the gut.

You definitely have to watch what you eat, and start lifting to build muscle. Muscles are calorie burning factories, like someone mentioned, get your metabolism revved up and you will lose weight while you sleep.

After you lose the fat, if you want to build muscle, you need to eat protein (cottage cheese, protein shake, peanut butter, etc) prior to going to bed otherwise your body will start eating the muscles you are trying to build.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    If you loosely follow the rules of Kosher you will be healthier. Check out The Maker's Diet by Dr. J S Rubin, a Messianic Jew.

Frankly, you can eat a lot of chow each day. You just have to be careful of what you eat.
    I know plenty of overweight Jewish folks. And if you strictly follow the rules, it leaves out shrimp, lobster and all other shellfish, pork of course, and a few other tidbits. I'm attaching a thumbnail that I thought would be appropriate.
    Attached Images
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

I heard Ice Water was bad for your insides..

is this true?
    Read my story.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ed-1994-a.html

Pictures in page 5 & 6

Quote Originally Posted by TRICKORMATE View Post

is this true?
    I have read that drinking cold water actually burns calories, not many but every little bit helps.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Quote Originally Posted by TRICKORMATE View Post

is this true?
    This is absolutely NOT true. In fact, ice water is the single best thing you can drink when you are trying to lose weight. As someone has already said, ice cold water lowers the body's core temperature. The body then needs to burn calories to raise that temperature back to normal. Every burned calorie is a good calorie when trying to lose weight.

Another reason that water is important when losing weight: the liver's main function in the body is to metabolize fat into energy. The secondary function of the liver is to filter the blood.

When there is not enough water in the body to carry the waste material to the kidneys the liver has to help out by filtering the blood. So, when the liver is helping the kidneys it isn't metabolizing fat as efficiently. If you make sure you are hydrated properly, the liver will burn fat like crazy, especially as you build muscle.

A normal adult needs between a gallon and a gallon and a half per day of water intake to be properly hydrated.

I know for me, if I do not get at least a gallon of water a day, I feel slower, less alert and I can tell my body isn't happy.

Drink that ice water! It is not bad for you at all.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

When I was in the Air Force we had to weigh in twice a year. I've always been a big guy and weighed 245 in the 9th grade. According to the Air Force I was not supposed to weigh more then 187 in my younger years and as I got older 205 was my maximum. So for about 18 of my 20 years I would have to loose 40 lbs twice a year by starving myself on low carbohydrate diets or just eating nothing. By the time I retired my body was so used to loosing weight that it would fight tooth and nail to keep the weight on. I retired in 1994 and it didn't take very long before I ended up weighing 360 lbs. In 2001 I started over again at age 45 when my wife of 23 years at the time decided to have our second child. He is now 7 years old but when he was 3 I knew that if I kept going like I was I would not live long enough to do him very much good. I had tried several times to loose weight and it was not working for me. My diabetes was out of control with my blood sugars running around 250 to 300. I ended up having a RNY procedure on my stomach. It was tough at first and I felt like I'd shot my best friend (food). I ended up having to have 4 transfusions while I was in the hospital because they couldn't stop the bleeding. Once I recovered I got with the program and lost 115 lbs and have keep it there since then. My diabetes has been under control for the past 4 years with me only taking 4 mg of Glimpride a day. My A1C scores are 5.5 which is normal compared to the "your going to die soon 11 that I did have". While I've not gotten skinny I am happy that I'm not near as fat as I was and I've stayed the same weight since the surgery. The first thing I can suggest is not you yoyo in weight like I did. It only gets harder. Try to find a way to loose weight that is not a diet because you cannot stay on a diet for ever. You end up getting off and gaining the weight back. Moderation is the answer, just stick with it and good luck.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Ridurall and others concerned with weight loss:

Starvation dieting is both a common method of losing weight quickly and a great way to gain weight in the long run. I just talked about this in my blog, here is an excerpt:

Not all weight lost is created equal.

I couldn't finish the chapter without bringing this up. There is a huge misunderstanding by many people, possibly most, that all weight lost is good. Nothing could be further from the truth. We want to lose weight and look and feel good, but more specifically we want to lose fat. If we diet unwisely (eating way too little, or eating our calories in foods that have little or no nutritional value), then our body begins to break down our muscle tissue to provide some of the nutrients that we aren't giving it. Also, not giving your body a reason to need its' muscle tissue will cause it to allow the muscle to wither away. After all, your body is always trying to be as efficient as possible to survive times when food is not plentiful or even absent, and every pound of muscle requires 30 to 60 calories to maintain it. If you aren't using it, then your body is going to get rid it. Kind of like canceling a subscription or gym membership that you don't use...if you don't use it, why keep paying for it?

We can use this to our advantage by not allowing our bodies to view our muscles as a liability that doesn't contribute. We use the muscles to make them needed, and we provide the nutrients that our bodies need through what we eat, so it doesn't have to consume itself (called "auto cannibalism"). Get up! Move! Walk, swim, lift weights...Just move. Walking is an easy one to start with for most.

Don't consume your calories in Twinkies and chips! You'll never be satisfied and losing muscle only lowers your metabolic rate. Eat lean meats, chicken, fish, for protein. You'll need to be wiser with your carbohydrates and fats too. Stay away from processed junk…that stuff is like crack. I know you love them as much as I do, but give them up and you'll start to love you!

We'll talk more about nutrition and exercise later, but take this away today:

-"My body is exactly what I have trained it to be."

-Learn your metabolic rate

-Eat a little less than that number of calories to start losing weight

-Exercise somehow to burn a few additional calories, and keep your prized muscle tissue intact.

-Eat lean meats and vegetables several times a day

-"My body is exactly I what have trained it to be."

I mention that walking is a great start, and it is for completely sedentary types. All in all, your best bet by far is to stimulate and keep (or even ADD) muscle everywhere on your body, upper and lower. Weight training is hard to replace and if at all possible should be included in every fat-loss program.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

I mention that walking is a great start, and it is for completely sedentary types. All in all, your best bet by far is to stimulate and keep (or even ADD) muscle everywhere on your body, upper and lower. Weight training is hard to replace and if at all possible should be included in every fat-loss program.
    Yep. I agree and can not stress it enough. Weight training is the way to go. Build muscle all over your body and you will burn fat all over your body.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Lead Moderator
    Not saying it works for everyone, but I dropped 60 pounds using Adkin's. I figured any diet that includes steak and bacon & eggs can't be all bad.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Member Array airbornerangerboogie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ron8903 View Post
    I divorced a year ago and lost 50 lbs (5000.00 dollars)
    new 28 yr old G/F helps to keep it off (pricless)
    I may be starting that diet soon....
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” James Dean
    Phil (NRA Member and Vietnam Vet)
    ------------- My CCW ----------------
    No Guns Here Boss
    I gave them to the naked Pigmy's in New Guinea

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I would work my butt off every single night on the elliptical. No nights off... go to town on it for about 2 hours.
    You were a man on a mission.

I went from 199 to 175 by running trails in the woods, from 5-13 miles at a time. During that time, I could eat anything I wanted and I wouldn't gain weight. Stopped running and gained back to 190.

If I do an hour of cardio a week, I'll lose inches slowly. If I do more, I lose inches quickly and also fat weight.

I need to get back in the habit, but it's easy to skip when I work 60+ hours a week. That was excuse #14. I got more.

I tried biking for a while. It increased my stamina, lung capacity, and leg strength, but didn't do anything for my gut. For me, nothing works like running or using an elliptical.

Fresh fruit and vegetables (bambi too) are Gods gift to us. They cleanse our digestive tracts, give instant energy and are 60 to 90% water! Fruit in the morning is a great way to start the day, vegetables at lunch and bambi for dinner.
    Whole foods eaten raw contain natural enzymes that when heated to over 130 die. Food grouping is important also, our bodies were not designed to consume meat (protein) and potatoes (carbs) at the same time. We cannot efficiently digest the two together.
    A great book on this is called "Fit For Life". I feel and look my best when I take its advice. Good Health.
    "You don't have a soul, you are a soul. You have a body." CS Lewis

S&W .41 Mag - Colt DS - Ruger Single Six - Ruger Security Six - Buckmark-Beretta 21A - S&W 351PD 22 Mag- Spfld XD 9mm -- Plenty Of Long Guns--- Dry Powder and RCBS.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links