Weight Loss Thread - Page 3

Weight Loss Thread

This is a discussion on Weight Loss Thread within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by TRICKORMATE Would y'all suggest to do a body cleanse before I start the workouts etc? No! A waste of money! Remember - ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Weight Loss Thread

Quote Originally Posted by TRICKORMATE View Post
    Would y'all suggest to do a body cleanse before I start the workouts etc?
    No! A waste of money!

Remember - you're changing a lifestyle - so change it in ways you can maintain forever - so you keep the weight off.

I am now -50 pounds for three years, and love it. You will too!

TN Mike - Fantastic!
    You are a great role model!

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    Then a whole 1/2 gallon of ice cream. Kidding, but you do have to be sure to treat yourself from time to time so you don't down the whole thing.
    You almost had me signing up Paco.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

In my experience, weigh lifting is the best way for me to stay thin. If I stop lifting weights, even if I continue to run, swim, bike, etc., I tend to begin losing upper body muscle. In my case this leads to "fat gain", becuase I ain't much of a dieter. I am not a heavy eater, but it seems that my normal caloric intake comfort level is too much if I lose upper body muscle mass.

I can do all the running I want and can stay in good cardio condition doing so, but unless I put on some muscle I have trouble loosing fat. In fact, I tend to gain fat even when running and stuff, becuase I just consume too many calories when my muscle mass is decreased. Like I already said, I ain't one for starving myself much.

I can weight train and do nothing else and stay lean, but will get out of shape cardio wise. However, for my body and my living habits, weight training and adding muscle mass is the only way for me to maintain a lean body. And running seems to be the best way to maintain cardio fitness. So, after many years of trying different stuff, I have decided to just do some moderate weight lifting and running to stay in shape. I also do pushups, and occasionly some pullups, but not really on a regular basis. Usually I do that stuff if I can't work out with weights for some reason like traveling or time constraints. I do situps or crunches on days that I run.

I am just getting restarted on all this since my workout schedule has taken a back seat to law school for the last year. I haven't really "gained weight", but I have more fat and less muscle than I did a year ago and don't like it much.

I am also markedly weaker as I found out while moving two weeks ago. Oh the pain! I also just don't feel good. In about 3 mos, I'll be back to normal.

I have always found that it takes longer to get out of shape than to get back in, but maybe that's just me? Plus, I've never really allowd myself to get TOTALLY out of shape. Even in the past year I have done some running, but only once or twice a month. I haven't lifted weights in 9 months though. So it really hurts getting started again.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    262 to 222 in 6 months on the South Beach Diet, Going to LFI as my reward.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post
    I haven't lifted weights in 9 months though. So it really hurts getting started again.
    It does hurt getting going again, but once I do, its hard to stop.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Eliminate all (as many as humanly possible) carbs and sugars. Exercise a little more that usual and drink water. Remember this; artificial sweeteners trigger an insulin response so they too are to be avoided. Insulin converts sugars to stored fat. Your pancreas will thank you for the effort. I lost 30 pounds in about 70 days. My knees feel like new.

Administrator
    Add VERY STRONG Green Tea to your diet.
    Add some honey to it if you need to sweeten it.

STAY AWAY from all Artificial Sweeteners & DIET Soda. Treat Artificial Sweeteners as if they are the Plague to your body.

Insider Knowledge....the chemists that invented artificial sweeteners don't ever use it themselves.
    What should that tell you?
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    I have from time to time found that I need to take weight off. Getting it off for me is the easy part. Keeping it off is something else.

As to the getting it off--

1) The treadmill. Gradually work your way to where you burn at least 300 calories a day on the thing. It doesn't have to be all in one run or walk. Doing this (for me) tends to reduce my desire to eat.

2) No soft drinks, no sugar in the coffee.

3) Eat breakfast, but a modest one.

4) Whatever you have been eating for lunch, eat half the amount.

5) Whatever you have been eating for dinner, eat half the amount.

6) Drink water, coffee (no sugar or milk) or similar to carry you over when you feel hungry.

7) Make changes slowly. Start by just doing small amounts on the treadmill until you work that into your routine. Drop one soft drink a day, for a couple of weeks, then another, then all of them. Reduce lunch and dinner size slowly. Fool yourself, use a small plate and don't go back for a refill.

It ain't easy. We were built to store up fat for the times when we couldn't get food. So, willpower and determination is essential.

Avoid gimmicks. The basic biochemistry and math of the situation is that for every 3500 calories you take in above your needs, you gain one pound. For every 3500 calories you take in below your needs, you lose one pound.

Cut out 500 calories a day through a combination of reduced intake and exercise, and you will lose one pound per week. That is the difference between a diet of 1800 calories a day (which is far from starvation) and a diet of 2300 calories a day. Unless grossly overweight and doing the diet for medical reasons and under medical supervision, I think it is wise to avoid the crash diets with 900 calorie per day intake.

Administrator
    Hopyard, are you a medical type of some sort? You seem to be knowledgable about these things.
    "Just blame Sixto"

This is some good stuff folks.
    Read my story.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ed-1994-a.html

Pictures in page 5 & 6

I have a suggestion..

I know a lot of you here are on some type of diet etc.

What do you folks say that if we start our own BIGGEST LOOSER program here on DEFENSIVE CARRY?

How about starting on OCT 1st, and ending it on Dec 31st, at the end of each week those of us that are participating check in with and put how much we weigh at that time.

I think starting it in Oct will give us enough time to get prepared mentally and it's going to help us butterballs excited and accountable every week.

If you guys are for it, then we can start a thread called BIGGEST LOOSER..
    Read my story.

Pictures in page 5 & 6

Quote Originally Posted by TRICKORMATE View Post
    If you guys are for it, then we can start a thread called BIGGEST LOOSER..
    I'm in! As I sit here and eat a package of cherry sours candy I just picked up at Bass Pro
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

I guess I could play, but it wouldn't be fair to you guys...Are we putting cash up? Or all chipping in towards a cheaperthandirt gift card for the winner? Just send me your $$ now.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...est-loser.html

Here you will find the excitment..
    Read my story.

Pictures in page 5 & 6

VIP Member

sort of

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Hopyard, are you a medical type of some sort? You seem to be knowledgable about these things.
    Yes, sort of. But, not a physician.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links