Weight Loss Thread

Weight Loss Thread

This is a discussion on Weight Loss Thread within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Hey, I'm in my Mid 30's and I've got to lose some weight, I hope this is in the correct place. would some of you ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Weight Loss Thread

Weight Loss Thread

Hey, I'm in my Mid 30's and I've got to lose some weight,

I hope this is in the correct place.

would some of you share some of your success stories?

How much did you weigh before you started?

what did you cut out?

I'm at 235lbs and I'd like to lose 30lbs and keep it off.

I'm 6'1, I have a mid size belly that I need to get rid of..

I think i'm going to start with a good body cleanse then start on a work-out program.
    Read my story.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ed-1994-a.html

Pictures in page 5 & 6

I dropped 15 lbs real quick just by eliminating all fastfood and sugar drinks like Coke and Pepsi's. 50+ year old 6' @ 195... I need to loose maybe 10 more.

Oh and switching to light beer
    “Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

Burn more calories than you take in

Now that I got the "smart a" remark out of the way...

I have been drinking, or trying to most days, about a gallon of cold water. I also took up Taekwondo with my Wife. I eat a larger amount of protein than before and take the following supplements:

1 One A Day Mens
    1 1000mg fish oil 3 times a day
    1 CLA (Conjugated Linoleic Acid) 3 times a day

I also drink 1 serving of NOX-CG3, which I have found has other benefits due to the increased blood flow

But, I tend to go overboard on anything I do otherwise I just won't do it.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Here's something VERY simple I did during my last deployment to the western Pacific about 10 years ago......it worked for me. (I'm AD submariner)

Eating: I had to almost force myself to do this.....eat half or 3/4 portions every meal. Simple cutting of my calorie intake.

Drinking: At least doubled my water intake and cut WAY back on soda's. Keeps you hydrated AND helps flush the system.

Exercise: Again, simple body weight stuff maybe 6 times a day. I.E. 10 push-up and 10 sit-ups every two or three hours. It ain't much but it's more than I was doing before

That's it. In about four months I went fron 190 to 160 pounds (I'm 5'9"). I'm back to 180 and I'm actually starting my little "routine" again. The biggest thing is to just get yourself into the HABIT of doing it (anything) of watching what you do.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Weight loss thread??? Count me in!

So far I'm down 20lbs since 7/15. I hit the weights for an hour 3x/week, and do 30 minutes of cardio before each weight session.

A huge key for like 90-something percent of people who are successful in keeping weight of is that they count their calories. UBER-important. I use dietpower software to make it really easy. I've done by hand enough to know that it can be done, but it's a pain and I'd rather spend my time in the gym or relaxing.

I've got more to add, but I'm off for my pre-gym nap. In the meantime, check out my blog below. I could always use constructive criticism.

I'm sure TnMike will chime in...there's an inspiration. Oh, and Mike, I went out and bought a card reader so I can get pics off my camera. You'll have incoming perhaps tomorrow.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

I divorced a year ago and lost 50 lbs (5000.00 dollars)
    new 28 yr old G/F helps to keep it off (pricless)
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Set yourself long & short term goals, don't do the 30lbs too fast. Go for a lb./wk watch what you eat but mainly do it through exercise. I would bring myself to the point of sweating then continue for at least 1/2 hour after breaking 1st sweat, 1st wk. Then slowly increase time as you get into shape, also lift weights. Do this every other day the idea is build muscle to burn fat. If you must diet eliminate the three great whites. Cut out all white flour products, all sugar and all salt, you won't have much left to choose from but it'll be good for you.: Your frame of mind,will power and determination is the key to success Good luck Cling-On

Administrator
    Last year, I dropped about 35#, I really let myself get out of shape. The best "plan in a box" I've found was the South Beach. It isnt hard to follow and the only reason its considered a "fad" diet is because somebody put common sense on paper and is selling it... but, the book is worth the price.

After I lost all my lard, I started running and hitting the weight room daily. I'm back to where I'm supposed to be at 6' and 185#.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I almost forgot, eat 4 or 5 smaller meals during the day, it keeps your metabolism going and doesn't give yourself time to store food as fat.

For example, I'll eat:

AM: 2 egg whites on whole wheat bagel and apple juice and an espresso

Mid morning: cup of cantaloupe or fruit cocktail (in its own fruit juice)

12:30ish: brown rice and tuna, or something smaller like that

Mid afternoon: protein bar or Quaker Oatmeal to Go bar, or similar

Dinner: salad (romaine, no iceberg lettuce) and grilled chicken and a balsamic vinaigrette dressing

Then a whole 1/2 gallon of ice cream. Kidding, but you do have to be sure to treat yourself from time to time so you don't down the whole thing.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco

I have lost 47 lbs in about 3 months without an ounce of exercise. 5'11", was 217, down to 170

I cut out sweets - cookies, cakes, etc. No regular soda, just diet soda. No other changes to what I was eating - I just became very observant about calorie count. Do not eat anything without looking at the portion size and the associated calories. If you go to dunkin donuts, look it up online beforehand. 850 cal/day is my target, and at that, weight just flew off. The intake is low, so keep a very careful eye on your condition as to having enough food, energy, etc.

Now after sitting at 170# for a month, I'm cutting out diet soda, moving to water and seltzer.

Could not have been easier.

Administrator
    Thats a lot of weight quick, fo Shizzle! I just came back to say that V8 and a good quality multi vitamin is uber important when you are slashing calorie intake.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Man you guys/gals are like really inspiring me, my long term goal is 195lbs.

I have very broad shoulders and that is without working out.

If I start lifting weights I gain muscle pretty quick must be in the family lol.

I have cut back on soda, and started drinking lots of water but not like I need to either,
    I think what is messing me up is the late night snacks.

The cereals etc, I think that’s where most of my problem is and also eating till I feel I’m about to explode.

Does anyone have any before and after pictures they want to share? I’m in like flynn to lose weight I think I need to be accountable to someone and stick to exercise and eating right.

No more homemade flour tortillas.. sigh..
    Read my story.

Pictures in page 5 & 6

Would y'all suggest to do a body cleanse before I start the workouts etc?
    Read my story.

Pictures in page 5 & 6

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    Burn more calories than you take in!
    +100

I hope I'm not being to patronizing, but that is the only way to lose weight.

Try munching on carrots or celery if you get hungy. Get a stationery bike or treadmill and REALLY use it for 20 minutes a day, at least. While exercising, watch TV, listen to music, clean your gun, anything to pass the time. You'd be surprised how well that works!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    Get a stationery bike or treadmill and REALLY use it for 20 minutes a day, at least. While exercising, watch TV, listen to music, clean your gun, anything to pass the time. You'd be surprised how well that works!
    I used to do a running routine where I would job for 5 minutes and then run for 2 then back to a jog for 5 minutes and then another run for 2, hurts like everything, but burns calories and improves endurance something fierce.

I wish I had before and after pics, but my right now pics aren't much better than before. I kind of fell off after shoulder surgery 2 years ago and am just now getting back in to it, slowly this time so I don't burn out.

-Paco

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links