Death Row Inmate: "If it would make people happy, shoot me in the head with a .45"

Death Row Inmate: "If it would make people happy, shoot me in the head with a .45"

This is a discussion on Death Row Inmate: "If it would make people happy, shoot me in the head with a .45" within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Weight gain not intentional to dodge execution, inmate says - CNN.com YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio (AP) -- A double murderer scheduled to be executed next month in ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Weight gain not intentional to dodge execution, inmate says - CNN.com

YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio (AP) -- A double murderer scheduled to be executed next month in Ohio said Tuesday he has not deliberately gained weight to rule out his death by lethal injection.

Instead, Richard Cooey said in a death row interview that his execution cannot be carried out humanely under current state procedures because his veins are hard to reach.

"Vein access was an issue even when I was back in the service," Cooey, 41, said in an hour-long interview with the Associated Press at the Ohio State Penitentiary.

Cooey, 5-foot, 7 inches tall and 267 pounds, said he has gained perhaps 70 pounds while being locked up for raping and killing two University of Akron students 22 years ago while he was on leave from the U.S. Army. He blamed the weight gain on medication and lack of exercise.

"It's hard getting access to my veins," said Cooey, who was handcuffed and locked in a closet-sized visiting room. He spoke through a straw-sized slit in a reinforced glass partition.

Cooey said he has heard secondhand about comedians' jokes about the Ohio inmate who claims he's too fat to be executed.

But he says that ridicule reflects ignorance of his underlying claim that it's the inaccessibility of his veins that makes it difficult to get an IV inserted for a lethal injection.

The legal challenge is based on constitutional issues and not fear of execution, Cooey said. "It has nothing to do with weight gain," he said.

Instead of lethal injection, "If it would make people happy, shoot me in the head with a .45," Cooey said. "Do it legally."

Cooey and a co-defendant kidnapped Wendy Offredo, 21, and Dawn McCreery, 20, after disabling their car by dropping a chunk of concrete on it from a highway overpass. They choked and beat the women to death after repeatedly raping them, then carved X's in their abdomens.

Cooey deflected questions about remorse and said his past comments about the victims and their families had been misunderstood. "I can't come out good," he said.

Cooey wouldn't say whether he would have something to say in the death chamber. He indicated there might be a new legal challenge to his execution, but he wouldn't detail any strategy because he didn't want to tip off prosecutors.

He reiterated claims he's made previously that he participated in crimes leading up to the slayings but denied beating the students to death. Summit County Prosecutor Sherri Bevan Walsh said his latest claims didn't merit further investigation.

Cooey, who would not discuss his prison life or his family, has been on death row since 1986.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Angry

What a joke!! Been on death row since 1986!!!!!!! Are legal system is so messed up. Let me do them a favor. I will use my .45 and I will even supply the bullet!
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

put one of those deals in his artery in his neck the give people injections with and give him what he asks for
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

A slim bladed knife entered at the base of his scull into his brain and swished around would do the trick and would be quiet and quick. Just turn him out into the general population and give a few prisoners some chivs. They would take care of the problem and cost the system a whole lot less money.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    First time is a long while that someone wanted to make me happy.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Administrator
    I guess hanging would be a better option for a fat guy.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I never understood why people though shooting was in inhumane execusion - aside from a hanging where the neck brakes, bullet to the head is instant death. gas chamber, lethal injection, electrocusion just drag it out. But i guess that was really the point back in the day, make it as scary to criminals as possible.

now they get a death sentance and can expect to live another 20 years on our dime.
    "An armed society is a polite society" - Robert A. Heinlein

Gotta love how NOW he's concerned about what is "humane" and "legal". Those words didn't mean much to him 22 years ago.

Washington used to hang people, they changed to leathel injection after an overweight prisoner on death row sued the state saying that hangining was inhumane because it could rip his head off because of his weight. I really didn't see a problem with that myself.

DC Founder
    They should just surgically access the vein. No big deal....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Send in a good radical Muslim with a "dull" knife.....

I think they would find a lot of people ready, willing and able to help out the State.

Lightbulb No Problem

I'll supply the ammo..........
    U.S. Army Veteran

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    They should just surgically access the vein. No big deal....
    With a single edged razor blade I could surgically access a vein or an artery for that matter. No problem........

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Administrator
    Is he asking for a volunteer?
    Add my name into the hat.

"If it would make people happy, shoot me in the head with a .45," Cooey said. "Do it legally."
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

How much is the fee?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links