Off topic , not humor , laptop died .

This is a discussion on Off topic , not humor , laptop died . within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Just to whine a bit , I lost my laptop yesterday ( it is what i used ) . Why i donno , but i ...

Thread: Off topic , not humor , laptop died .

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar

Just to whine a bit , I lost my laptop yesterday ( it is what i used ) . Why i donno , but i left it for a period and when i came back it was gone to blue screen . I restarted and got a hdd error . Plan b is that i restarted with knoppix ( Knoppix is a linux os that will run off a cd , no hard disk needed ) only about 12 tries lol ) and it cant even mount the drive . The screen is doing some strange stuff as well ( and i know knoppix should run fine on that lappy ) . so without further diagnostics i will speculate that 1. the hdd is toast , and 2. the mobo is not in much better shape . I sorted thro my parts and chasis that i have and came up with another toshiba that i could force to run . However all files, bookmarks, passwords , ect.. that i used day to day are now unavailable . I preach back up , but ya know i am caught short on about 30 gig of backups i did not do . The comming weeks will tell the story as to what i lost ( if i can get the drive to read by any means , including installing a motor ect.. ) . And now i am faced with picking up a new lappy ( this one wont likely run long lol ) just when due to the coming elections my disposable cash is short , and likely to remain same . Instead of being able to plan , i may well have to sacrifice a gun purchase ( no not sell one )to the gods of information . I dont want sympathy i just point out that " when it rains it pours " and when you have a stratagy about whatever may happen in the coming times well life will slap you in the face . < sigh > I just as well call a couple of fellas and tell them that i wont likely be buying the guns in the foreseeable future . Dammed shame because the guns would have held value a lot better than the computer , no matter what happens .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

VIP Member
    A suggestion, replace the old HDD with a new one then take the old one and install it in an external case. Using it as an external drive may resurrect it enough to be able to retrieve the files you need.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    A suggestion, replace the old HDD with a new one then take the old one and install it in an external case. Using it as an external drive may resurrect it enough to be able to retrieve the files you need.
    Thanks for the concern and suggestion . A little known fact is that i built computers for a business for a couple of years ( my partner in the endever still does ) and that is why i had the crap laying around to just " make " another laptop . I also have a pretty good background in forensic data recovery which is why i mentioned i may well have to split the drive and try another motor , or possibly migrate the disks . I havent yet run out of software solutions and when i do i am by no means up to the " big ticket " folks , but i can do a better job than most , even some of the " most " who choose to sell data recovery with nothing more behind them than a couple of copys of runtime software . Note that Runtime is about the best data recovery software for an average user , it wont however ( no software will ) address many physical issues with a drive . Software recovery tho is an avenue to explore , not a dead end solution .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

One guy told me about a drive that bit the dust on me was to wrap it up in a towel and then in a sandwich bag and freeze it. The towel is there to soak up moisture.

Slave it to another drive and it might work long enough to copy or move your files. It worked for me and it's a lot cheaper than other ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkie View Post
    One guy told me about a drive that bit the dust on me was to wrap it up in a towel and then in a sandwich bag and freeze it. The towel is there to soak up moisture.

Slave it to another drive and it might work long enough to copy or move your files. It worked for me and it's a lot cheaper than other ways.
    I have done this, it is hilarious to see some of the looks people give you. That is until you recover their data.

I have also dropped HDD before from about 2 feet, to jolt the heads back in to working order long enough to get the data off.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Quote Originally Posted by Arkie View Post

I saved a guys life that way one time. All of his 2 year-old daughter's baby pictures were on the hard drive that crashed and his wife was about to kill him. I froze it and got it to working long enough to copy them over.

I have also recovered files by freezing hard drives, and I do this for a living!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

We all preach the golden rules of gun safety.

We ignore the golden rule of data management: BACKUP EVERYTHING!

I use a external drive and Norton Ghost for my laptop and a RAID mirror setup in my pc. I've seen way too many people lose everything, and came close a few times myself. I've tried the frozen hard drive a few times, sometimes it works, sometimes you have to take it behind the barn and shoot to put it out of it's misery. After you freeze it try sandwiching it between two ice packs to keep it cold while its running.
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by spooter66 View Post
    We ignore the golden rule of data management: BACKUP EVERYTHING!
    I actually tell all my clients to backup everything, then back it up again. When done, back it up a third time, and keep that one away from the other two.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

I have two methods:

1. Burn onto DVDs and store away

2. External Hard Drive that I plug into my computer only once a month just to back new stuff up

and for new CDs that I buy, I make a direct copy of them and store the brandnew CD away in its case, that way I do not mind if the copy gets strached, broken, stolen or lost.
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

Yikes, the old saying holds true for Backups too.....

One is none,
    Two is one,
    Three is two.........

Good luck!

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

I started using Mozy online backup not too long ago. $120 for 2 years and I don't have to risk damage from tornado/flood etc. if stored on an external drive at a friend's house.

Good luck resurrecting the drive!
    "Lord, help me to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Sponsored Links