Got molar out tonight

This is a discussion on Got molar out tonight within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Gad, Thank God for Ibuprofin....

Thread: Got molar out tonight

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar

Got molar out tonight

Gad, Thank God for Ibuprofin.

2. Remove Ads

Got molar out tonight
    Did you shoot it out!?

I never got my wizdom teeth out as a kid and had to have it done a year or two back - if what you're going through is anything similar, I'm sorry man. It's really no fun.

Make sure you don't suck on anything (straws, ice cubes, etc...) or even swallow too hard, creating a suction inside your mouth can loosen the blood clot and cause what's known as a "dry socket" which takes significantly longer to heal.

Soup and milkshakes are your friends for a few days.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Depends on your oral surgeon, I didn't have any trouble.

B52
    Jeez man, I am regretting a root canal next week.

VIP Member
    For those terrified of dentists-

First--things are a bazillion times better today than a few decades, or even a few years, back.

Second, if you are not someone with an addictive personality (and no one with a handgun license should have a history of addiction to meds, so I assume that isn't an issue for anyone here) ask for real pain relief. There is no reason why you shouldn't be given some Vicodin or similar after having a tooth pulled. You won't get "addicted" from a couple of doses and remain sensible about taking the stuff only as prescribed. Ibuprofen often isn't sufficient pain relief and can increase bleeding.

Third. If you are terrified of the dentist to start with, you can also ask for some Halcion (conscious sedation) to be taken by mouth before the work is done. You'll need to leave your gun at home and get someone else to do the driving, and it will take 6-8 hours or more to wear off, but you won't remember or care about what happened in the chair.

The big mistake lots of people make when dealing with dentists and with docs is not making their individual preferences and needs (and fears) known.

If you speak up and are straight about things in a non-demanding way, you'll get respect and proper treatment for your anxiety and your pain.

And, you can always fire your doc or dentist and go elsewhere if your needs aren't being met. This last part is often overlooked by people who think they somehow have given up their rights when they go to the doctor. You are the paying customer and you are in charge. You wouldn't stand for unsatisfactory work from your plumber and you shouldn't stand for unsatisfactory work from a doc or dentist either.

Had my wisdom teeth pulled last year.
    Simple extraction under local. No pain. No problems.
    Just had a root canal and crown on a molar. Four roots, four bore jobs.
    Local.
    No problems.
    +1 on the bazillion times better than things used to be!
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Did you shoot it out!?
    Talk about shooting your mouth off!! Whew got that one in.

I have a great denist, First thing he learned is how to charge and then do dental work. Just kidding

Have had 2 wisdom teeth taken out one shot. No sweat. Do use the pain meds before they are really needed. People wait to long between doses.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    For those terrified of dentists-

First--things are a bazillion times better today than a few decades, or even a few years, back.

Second, if you are not someone with an addictive personality (and no one with a handgun license should have a history of addiction to meds, so I assume that isn't an issue for anyone here) ask for real pain relief. There is no reason why you shouldn't be given some Vicodin or similar after having a tooth pulled. You won't get "addicted" from a couple of doses and remain sensible about taking the stuff only as prescribed. Ibuprofen often isn't sufficient pain relief and can increase bleeding.

Third. If you are terrified of the dentist to start with, you can also ask for some Halcion (conscious sedation) to be taken by mouth before the work is done. You'll need to leave your gun at home and get someone else to do the driving, and it will take 6-8 hours or more to wear off, but you won't remember or care about what happened in the chair.

The big mistake lots of people make when dealing with dentists and with docs is not making their individual preferences and needs (and fears) known.

If you speak up and are straight about things in a non-demanding way, you'll get respect and proper treatment for your anxiety and your pain.

And, you can always fire your doc or dentist and go elsewhere if your needs aren't being met. This last part is often overlooked by people who think they somehow have given up their rights when they go to the doctor. You are the paying customer and you are in charge. You wouldn't stand for unsatisfactory work from your plumber and you shouldn't stand for unsatisfactory work from a doc or dentist either.
    Having my wisdom teeth pulled is where I found out that I was allergic to codiene and any of its derivatives. I was puking like a dog until I stopped taking pain meds (percodan).

ibprof is all they gave you? what about the good stuff :P

Your biggest ally with most trauma injury, including having wisdom teeth pulled, is to apply cold / ice for the first few hours. This reduces swelling, the biggest obstacle to a quick recovery.

I had all FOUR wisdom teeth pulled (two were impacted and each had to be split for removal) in one afternoon, drove myself home (short 10 minute drive), then iced until I couldn't stand it over the next four hours. That was on a Friday. Played racquetball on Monday (won 3 of 4 games), ate solid food by the end of the week. No noticeable swelling by the third day. That is about a good as I could have hoped. I was in my mid-30's when this happened.

VIP Member

Yup, ICE, put it in a zip lock baggy

Quote Originally Posted by Rivers View Post
    Your biggest ally with most trauma injury, including having wisdom teeth pulled, is to apply cold / ice for the first few hours. This reduces swelling, the biggest obstacle to a quick recovery.

I had all FOUR wisdom teeth pulled (two were impacted and each had to be split for removal) in one afternoon, drove myself home (short 10 minute drive), then iced until I couldn't stand it over the next four hours. That was on a Friday. Played racquetball on Monday (won 3 of 4 games), ate solid food by the end of the week. No noticeable swelling by the third day. That is about a good as I could have hoped. I was in my mid-30's when this happened.
    Yup, ICE, put it in a zip lock baggy and apply-- ask the dentist how long to ice and how long to wait before putting the ice back on; I think it is about 10 minutes each direction, but don't recall.

Links