OK, lets try this again...Tell me about CO!

This is a discussion on OK, lets try this again...Tell me about CO! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Thanks for the input Herk. Regarding Lima+Baby, the people I have been interviewing with are well aware that I am unwilling to move until after ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OK, lets try this again...Tell me about CO!

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Thanks for the input Herk.

Regarding Lima+Baby, the people I have been interviewing with are well aware that I am unwilling to move until after the baby arrives.

Altitude change...I wonder how that will affect newborn development...

2. Remove Ads

DC Founder
    I lived and worked in that area for about 9 years before moving to Arizona. I miss it. If you are going to be working in Lakewood, you can move up into the mountains and reduce alot of the commute problems on snowy days. Thery plow the roads much better in the mountains because most of the roads are considered school bus routes. I lived in Evergreen and commuted to Coors in Golden (Lakewood's next door neighbor) and could be at work in about 30 minutes on a snowy day.

I loved hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, canoeing, jeeping, prospecting, skiing, the ghost towns and just stomping around the mountains. Much has changed since I left, though, and not for the better. Much of the fishing rivers have been restricted, as has the prospecting and camping. Access to some areas have been blocked by private land being developed. If you don't have a four wheel drive vehicle, get one.

Overall, I bet you would enjoy it there. Some of my best memories are from my time spent in Colorado.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

I work in Lakewood closer to the hills. Decent city. Some areas are a little dodgy the closer you get to Denver but not too bad. I commute 11 miles from Arvada taking surface streets. Arvada is a great city too. Lots of parks and activities for the kids. Pretty low crime rate compared to some of the neighboring cities and houses are going cheap all over right now with the housing market the way it is.

If you move into Jefferson County, the wait for a CCW permit is 90 days. I got mine on day 89. Here are the qualifications for a CCW in Jeffco. CCW - Frequently Asked Questions - Sheriff's Office - Jefferson County, CO

Don't worry about Coloradoans not liking Texans...they don't like Californians either. I heard they don't like Texans because they come here to ski and act like they own the mountain and they don't like Californians because they came here in droves in the 80's and drove the housing prices up because they could afford to pay more money for less house.

Lakewood has a great indoor shooting range with a 100 yard rifle range. Green Mountain Family Shooting Center

If you have a rifle that is too powerful for this range (see restrictions in above link) and don't want to take a drive to the mountains, then you can take a 20 minute drive to Cherry Creek Family Shooting Center where they have pistol, archery, trap, and rifle ranges.

There are a couple other smaller ranges within a 25 minute drive from Lakewood as well.

Snow. Some have touched upon this already. It doesn't stick too long to the roads. Take those turns S L O W or you'll end up sliding into something you don't want to. The black ice is not so nice when the day melts enough snow to make it wet and the night cools down below freezing before the water can evaporate or drain off.

Altitude shouldn't have any effect on the baby. 1000's are born all the time with no negative effects. My wife and I moved out here when she was 2 months pregnant with our first born. That was 5 years ago and he's doing just fine. Just don't take Lima hiking for a while until she gets acclimated to the altitude. Speaking of which, if you're a drinker, your alcohol will go much further. It used to take me 4 beers in CA to get a buzz. Now it only takes 2 but I don't drink that often either.

I think it's fair to say as another poster said that it's about 50-50 liberal/conservative. Most of the liberals are congregated in Denver and Boulder but they're all over really.

I love it here. Just make sure your house has wall insulation and double-pane windows and plenty of attic insulation.

Keep us informed.

Well, I grew up here so I'm a bit biased.

54 peaks > 14,000'
    825 peaks > 13,000'
    Mean elevation 6,800'
    Lowest Point 3315'
    Highest Point 14,440'
    300 days of sunshine annualy
    Over 23,000,000 acres of public lands (about 1/3rd of the state) - you can hike 500 miles across the state and remain on public lands the entire way.
    41 wilderness areas.
    Fantastic skiing, hunting, outdoor sports
    lowest average BMI and highest percentage of fit people in the nation

Open carry
    Very straight CHL laws. If you are denied, you can take the sheriff to court. If you win, the sheriff pays the court costs.

You will love it here!
    A veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable
    to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life." Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by buzzgum View Post
    I

Don't worry about Coloradoans not liking Texans...they don't like Californians either. I heard they don't like Texans because they come here to ski and act like they own the mountain and they don't like
    Pretty much a myth. Texans who ski have a real impact on our economy and though we may grouse about them a bit we sure feel it on years they don't come. I happen to like 'em.

Living in Golden will keep your commute short and is a pretty cool place in my opinion. It isn't really "small town" but it isn't really suburb sprawl either, sort of a happy medium. It is right against the mountains and very beautiful.

You'll love it here.
    Clear Creek Sportsmans Club is a decent outdoor range. They host an IDPA match once a month and an IPSC match once a month as well. It is about 20 minutes into the mountains from Lakewood/Golden.

My CCW took 87 days, for the record, in Jefferson County earlier this year.

Care to mention who you are interviewing with?

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Pretty much a myth. Texans who ski have a real impact on our economy and though we may grouse about them a bit we sure feel it on years they don't come. I happen to like 'em.
    Well, that's what native Coloradoans have told me. Frankly, I happen to like Texans too.

A southerner's experience

JD and Lima, We moved here from South Carolina as a two year experiment. 17 years ago.

A few short stories may help explain our staying -

We'd just moved here and were leaving a grocery store only to find our SUV had a flat tire. Within 2 minutes we'd received offers of a can of Fix-a-flat, help changing the tire and a ride to take our tire to get it fixed. Most folks here are scary nice.

We live in the foothills in a small hodgepodge of a community. Recently I got home around 9 pm to find a rattlesnake doing its thing. I shot it (we have a four year old and dogs) with a shotshell from my G30 and then thought to call a neighbor in case there was any concern. His response; "I figured one shot meant you'd killed whoever or whatever needed killing. Two shots might mean you could use a little help and I'd be right over."

Talking with a county deputy about where we live and their response time - "It's a huge county and there aren't many of us patrolling at night. In case of trouble we'll get there ASAP but you should be prepared to do what needs to be done for at least 30 minutes or so."

I think of CO as a purple state. Sure there's the nearly 50/50 Dem/Rep thing going on but we find many people here who like to think for themselves and are socially progressive yet conservative on most other issues. In fact many of our liberal sounding friends and neighbors shoot, support the 2A and all the reasons for which it was written. This includes a social worker, a new age wiccan, an RN, an old hippy, a teacher and several engineers - the typical Colorado mix.

And the Texas thing? Texans drive 80 on the straights and 15 in the curves. Driving behind one in the mountains is a form of torture that even Cheney wouldn't approve.

Best wishes as you consider the move. I'd give it two years!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links