OK, lets try this again...Tell me about CO!

OK, lets try this again...Tell me about CO!

This is a discussion on OK, lets try this again...Tell me about CO! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'm interviewing for a job in Lakewood, CO just outside of Denver. What do you like/dislike about CO? I was looking at some info on-line ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    JD [OP]
    Administrator

Talking OK, lets try this again...Tell me about CO!

I'm interviewing for a job in Lakewood, CO just outside of Denver.

What do you like/dislike about CO?

I was looking at some info on-line and have all ready found the following links helpful

Colorado Concealed Carry

Concealed Weapons Permit Information

Carrying a Concealed Weapon (CCW) Permit - Sheriff's Office - Jefferson County, CO

So, as the title says, tell me about CO.

I'll be hitting up Handgunlaw.us and researching laws, etc. So I'm looking for more non-gun related information, well except for any info regarding shops and ranges.

VIP Member
    Never lived in CO myself, though road trip vacation twice; skiing several times.

Scenery spectacular, though you wouldn't need me to tell you that. Compared to where I live in the summer, CO would be like living in a refrigerator to me.

Hunting is probably good.

Rocks and gravel are plentiful.

I'd love to make CO, Wyoming, or Montana my "second" home.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    I lived in Lakewood twenty years ago.

It is a wonderful community just southwest of Denver. I can't help with the gun culture there but the area s beautiful and close enough to Denver that is really part of it. When I was there, Aurora was the big expanding part of the area so Lakewood remained relatively suburban. It is closer to the mountains so you can get there before the Denver folks. The mountains are spectacular.

The weather is pretty dry all year round. In the spring, the winds blow sixty miles per hour with humidity on less than 10%. It will be very much different than PA or VA. There are blizzards in September and snow in July. Two weeks of the year the temperature never exceeds 0. I once went skiing in twenty below at the amazing thig was there were actualy other people out there!

One thing you should be aware of. The people of Colorado hate the people of Texas for reasons I never understood.

If you have to live in the Denver area Lakewood is as good a place as any. I personally prefer rural or small town Colorado. I was born in the San Luis Valley and was raised and have spent most of my life in Western Colorado. I love Colorado but detest big cities and Denver, in or around, is not my cuppa tea. YMMV.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Just keep going west to Oregon. Their carry laws are pretty good. Wish they had a castle doctrine.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

I live in Broomfield (northern Denver Metro Area) and have been here for almost 8 years now (originally came from CA).

Weather is nice all year round. We usually have our first snow of the season before Halloween and can get snow as late a April and May. Rarely do we get anything from June thru Sept, however, this year we did have small amounts of snow hanging out all summer at the higher elevations in the mountains (by this, I mean that we could see it from here but it was not readily accessible).

When it does snow we have maybe one or two “good” storms a year and the rest is just a bunch of small stuff. Rarely does the snow stay on the ground for more than a few days to a week, unless it is in a spot that just does not get any sun. People seem to think that Colorado is all mountains, but the Denver Metro Area is not and as a result we do not have as much snow as everybody thinks we do.

The winter does get cold, but it doesn’t feel that bad because of how “dry” it is. Our high humidity season is summer. I quite often go out in 20 degree weather, to pick up after the dog, in nothing more than a long sleeved shirt. Of course I am only out there for about 10 minutes, but it is not too bad.

One thing you will find is that, unlike some areas, the air itself doe not seem to hold its own ambient temperature. You can be out and have to either take you jacket off or put it on depending on whether you are in the sun or the shade. Unless I am going to be outside for longer than 5 or 10 minutes I rarely ware more than a light jacket (just going from building to car or car to building). However, if I am going to be outside for longer than that (going for a walk, playing in the snow, etc) I make sure that I bundle up.

In the time that I have been here I have not felt anything that would compare to the bitter cold I felt on one winter trip to Pittsburg PA.

One thing I found disappointing was the lack of ranges in the Northern Denver Metro Area. There just is not much between Denver and Fort Collins. There are a couple of decent indoor ranges in Lakewood, but to find someplace for a rifle you will have a several year wait for membership at a private club, or a good drive. I ended up getting a membership at a range up in Dumont (about 55 miles from me, up in the mountains) because there was nothing closer that would allow me to shoot both my pistols and long guns without a 5+ year wait.

As for carry, either open or concealed, Colorado is an “Open Carry” state as well as a “Shall Issue” state for CWP. The one major exception is Denver itself. “Open Carry” is not allowed in Denver and they also have several restrictions on “Assault Weapons” there. I never really worried about it because I do not live, or spend much time, in Denver.

In general, we really like it here and we think it is a great place to raise our daughter.

Driven thru the area many, many (truck driver) times. East of Denver is rolling grass land. West is the rockies, absolutely breathtaking!! Denver sets right at the edge of the mountains, start driving west as you leave you start going up, and up, and up. These little things we call mountains here in PA and VA barely qualify as hills out there.

If you ski you are not to far from all the big resorts. Vail is 90 ml, Steamboat springs is 150 ml, Breckenridge is 74 ml.

Blackjack is right about the temps feeling weird. I think its because of the thinner air. Sunlight has less air to travel through, so more of its rays get to you. It could be 20 out but if you are standing in direct sunlight it feels more like 40.

Good luck. A new baby on the way, a new job, a big move across country - you two are just gluttons for punishment aren't you.
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

Maybe you could hang with Michael Bane?

-JT

I'm in Castle Rock, which is 20 miles south of Denver. The summer, fall and spring are absolutely beautiful. The winter is nice at times, but snow can really put a damper on your commute just like anywhere. Of course if you like to ski you will live for the winter season. The weather may appear to be a little 'split personality' sometimes, with nice days and then a blizzard and then a nice day again.

My observation is that we have a 50/50 mix of libs and conservatives, though someone here may correct me...

The metro area is where most of us work and traffic can get thick at times. But the rest of Colorado is vast and spread out through the plains and the Rocky's.

I ride a motorcycle, and riding through the Rocky's is an absolute dream. Besides hanging with my wife and daughter cruising through the Rocky Mountains on two wheels is my favorite place to be.

From where I sit, shooting in the hills is an hour drive. There are ranges here and there but the number of them seems to be limited (for my taste anyway).

The West is different... I have spent time in FLA and MD, and I prefer CO's wide open spaces. That's just me though. If you have any specific questions feel free send me a PM. I'm not sure what you do for a living, but I do have my finger on the pulse of the IT community.
    Last edited by Footslogger; September 19th, 2008 at 10:35 PM. Reason: spelling edits
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

Just caught this thread............See your PM's

The things that bothered me about Colorado is most is to flat and to open. Their green is actually more brown, not plush and verdient. There is still a lot of prejidice against Indians in comparison to other areas. I found the people unfriendly, but then I am an Indian so go figure.

What did I like? The Rocky Mountains, Buffalo, Elk, Deer. There were a few good resturants that served Wild Game. A couple of good Outdoor stores.

Would I live there? Not if I could help it. Maybe if the West coast sank, but I would prefer Idaho or Utah.

I refused a promotion with Quest because I would have had to transfer to the Denver area.

Just my opinion, not that it matters.

Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    The things that bothered me about Colorado is most is to flat and to open.
    Colorado has 54 peaks over 14,000 feet elevation. I believe you may have us mixed up with Kansas.

Looking East from Denver towards Kansas it is flat and or down hill. Looking wesT from Denver it is just fine cause of the rockies. That was my impression from when I was there. If I lived in Vail (Spelling?) It would be OK. I am aware of the mountains. It is just that from Denver-East it leaves the Impression of Flat.

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    I'm familiar with the terrain, I need to be within 30-45 minutes of Lakewood, so I'm looking mainly west of Denver.

Thanks all for the information.

Now what's up with this "Home Rule" variations in sales tax?

JD,

Disclaimer--Most of my CO experience is near C-Springs, which is quite a bit different from the Denver area.

Here is a list of places to shoot within 30 miles of Lakewood (distance is in brackets). Where To Shoot | Find a Range

CO does not have preemption (largely because Denver didn't want it, from what I understand). In C-Springs, the permit takes about a month.

Politically, Colorado is moving more to the left, and Denver is squarely in the "blue" part of the state if that matters.

I don't know if you've travelled out here, but the altitude takes about 2 months to get used to for most people. I'd be careful moving Lima out here while she's still pregnant. It probably wouldn't be a factor, but it would at least be something to consider.

Hopefully, this was of some use. I need to head out now. If you have more specific questions, please don't hesitate.

Cheers,
    Herk
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links