Back yard pellet gun range...

This is a discussion on Back yard pellet gun range... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; It's been briefly discussed here before, but I was just wondering if anyone else plinks with pellet guns at home between range sessions. I live ...

Thread: Back yard pellet gun range...

It's been briefly discussed here before, but I was just wondering if anyone else plinks with pellet guns at home between range sessions.

I live out in the sticks, but not far enough into the sticks to pop off anything big - the neighbors would complain, it's probably illegal, etc...
    So, between range trips, I shoot air guns in my back yard. Sometimes just for 15 minutes after work to let out the stress built up in traffic on the way home.....

Here's my setup:

Just outside the back door to my office (part of the garage):

Yep, it's a little "redneck" but it works just fine. Note 5 gallon bucket being used as a table to hold water & ammo! Can of spraypaint is for re-painting the "gong" when the paint cracks off (visible in third picture).

Looking downrage:

Yeah, yeah, I know I need to mow my lawn. Again.

Closeup of targets (approx 105 ft from bench):

The pellet gun is a Crossman 2100 Classic, the scope is a $40 Tasco 3x-9x 40mm. It'll shoot .177 cal wadcutter pellets a little under 900fps. From ~105 ft, I'm holding 14 clicks (1/4 MOA each) high.

The best group I've achieved at this distance is 5 shots in almost exactly 3/4". I think that's about as good as a pellet gun will do. Can anyone top it?

Anyway, just thought I'd share my backyard airgun range. Anyone else do this?

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Last edited by Pete Zaria; September 19th, 2008 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Corrected distance, 105 feet, not 85... had to measure :-p
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

I set up targets by my barn for shooting pellet pistols, This allows me to practice drawing and moving while shooting which isn't allowed in public ranges around here.

Pretty cool man.....yeh I have one set up in my basement and I break out the airsoft beretta 92 and ar-15....

You'll shoot your eye out with that thing you know.

No, don't shoot pellet guns here. Too many people too close and dogs in the back yard.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Well, out of two pellet/BB guns, I have one that's working. I plink with it in the back yard every now and then, but it's one of those single shot/cock to load/fire Chinese pellet rifles. Had plenty of fun with it over the years, and laid down many pests with it. At one time, I thought I might get involved with the upper echelon of pellet rifles, but in my back yard, and with less work, and maybe a bit more cost.....I shoot the 10/22's whenever I want. Oh...my pellet rifle still has it's purpose, I just aint sure what it is exactly.

If I could find enough Railroad Ties I would set up a range for a 22 next to my barn. I want a 1911 conversion unit or a Kimber 22 1911. I think I would only need about 100 railroad ties or 4x10 beames at least 8 ft long.

I have had both indoor and outdoor pellet gun "ranges". The house I am moving to will eventually have a 10m range in the man cave (It did before I filled it up with junk, it will again)

I have not bagged any of my air rifles lately. I have a crossman 2240 and 2260. I also play with my daughters precision air rifle. All of them are more accurate than me standing. My daughters will easily make a single hole off a bag. Shooting off a bag can help with sight picture and trigger control, but once that becomes too mundane - loose the bag and go to standing or 3p.
    ---
    I have two portable traps, one is a "silent pellet trap", the other is a bigger version of the same, but stuffed with shredded paper and several layers of backing (manly because the ballistic putty on the silent trap would cost to much to fill the larger trap.

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    With my RWS-Diana I get about 1100 fps and can punch a ragged hole at 100 feet that looks like a single marble was shot through it. That airgun is so accurate the nuisance critters seem to know when I have it out and disappear.

Sponsored Links