Parker Bows?

This is a discussion on Parker Bows? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well we were out at Gander Mountain tonight just killing time after eating. I was looking at those ugly black rifles that everyone here likes ...

Thread: Parker Bows?

Parker Bows?

Well we were out at Gander Mountain tonight just killing time after eating. I was looking at those ugly black rifles that everyone here likes and I try to avoid, and some youth model .22's for the little one. Found a Savage with a thumb through stock that fit him pretty good, and was a nice looking bolt action. Wife was over looking at clothing and shoes, you know women. I tried to get her to look at a S&W 642, but she really wasn't interested. Of course the ones they had had locks on them, don't know if that matters or not.

Well we made it back to the archery section, and were milling around when she popped up and said, I want a bow. She had shot her niece's over the labor day weekend and kinda liked the fact that she could pull it back, and she even hit the target. Before that she had only tried with one of my old ones and well even backed way off, she could not draw the thing.

So after some looking I came across a Parker Wildfire XP and a Sidekick XP. I am not sure she will be able to draw the Wildfire, but the Sidekick come in a 40-50 lb draw weight. I have been wanting a new bow, and this appears to be the right time to work my new purchase in.

Have any of you all shot or does anyone have a Parker product? I have searched around a bit, and they appear to get pretty good reviews for the money, especially on their combo's which is what we were looking at. Texas requires a 40lb draw weight in order to hunt so whatever she ends up with will have to have a 40-50 lb range.

Thanks for any input you might have.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Parker makes a decent bow. They have been out for about 10 yrs or so. I have been a bowhunter for almost 35yrs (hence my forum name) and have seen the industry change quite considerably. I have shot some of the Parker bows and they seem to be a fine product. I personally shoot Mathews compounds and still like to hunt with a recurve mostly.

As far as setting up a new archer with equipment, your best bet would be to avoid a discount sporting goods and go to an archery pro shop and speak with them about a getting a new archer interested in the sport. They will have better experience helping you get a new archer setup with the proper weight bow, arrows and accessories and also get you started correctly with draw lengths. Even if you dont actually purchase from the pro shop, they will give you good advice and take all the measurements you need and then you can go to another discount store to purchase. You might save a few bucks this way but the experience of the pro shop is invaluable. Places like Gander Mtn or Cabelas just doesnt have the experience that an archery pro shop does.

Good Luck and hopefully get a new archer into the sport.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

I was going to suggest what Rcher said as well. Go to a specific archery shop, you will end up much happier, and so will she. I have no personal experience with Parker bows, but my friend just bought one and he shoots it quite well for a first timer.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

VIP Member
    Having owned an archery shop I have to agree with Rcher. While it may cost a little more going to a archery pro shop to get set up initially, in the long run it will be cheaper because the setup will be done correctly, for the person the bow is intended for.
    Hate thinking about the number of time I had people come in with the "good deal" they got at the pawn shop. bow was a 30" draw length, and they had a 28" draw, then couldn't figure out why they were having problems shooting it!!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Well after the little one's soccer game today, we went ate lunch and then headed over the Gander Mountain. We go back to the archery corner and I walk up to the older gent at the register and ask him if they were able to check draw length and draw weight etc, for a new bow owner. The guy said they could do the length but not the weight. I said ok, and he said he was looking up something that he would be with us in just a minute.

So after about 10 or 15 minutes of checking out bows around the counter and watching the three people in the department including the older gent hem haw around and basically wasting time I told my wife that we were leaving. As I walked past one of the guys working on a bow, I told my wife that we were going to the archery shop across town. Well as we got about 30 or 40 feet away from the counter the older guy comes chasing after us and asking if we needed help. I told him that yes we did, and that is what I told him when we got there, but we were going to Archery Outfitters. He said he was looking up a bow string or something, and I replied that I had intended on purchasing two bows but would do it elsewhere.

So we go to the Archery shop across town, and they were more than happy to sell us a Diamond for the wife and a Mission for myself. They fit here bow to her got the sights adjusted etc, and while they were setting up my bow they let here shoot on the range. She put the first 6 into the center 6" ring at 10 yrds. So we moved back to the 20 yd line and she put 3 into the center ring again. After all the drawing to check draw length and the one mishap of letting the string hit her forearm. She said that was good for the day. She is very pleased with her new bow. I didn't get a chance to shoot mine since we kept them a few minutes after their normal closing time, and I told them I would sight mine in at home.

Thanks for the replies, I am sure we got better service from the archery shop than we would have gotten from Gander and it was only about 100 or 150 bucks more expensive. Tomorrow if I see the manager of Gander at church I will tell him he needs to have a little bit of discussion with his archery folks, unless loosing thousand dollar sales doesn't hurt his sales performance reports.

Thanks again for the input.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Well I may be a little biased but I really like the Mathews products and the new Mission bows should be a winner for you. I think you'll love the single cam technology for decent speeds, quiet shots, minimum vibration in the riser and Mathews quality. The reason I may be biased is that I know Matt McPherson personally, heck of a good guy and a master guitar builder. Matt McPherson truely did reinvent the wheel with solo cam technology.

The Diamond bows are made by BowTech and they have also made an impression in the archery industry and should be around a long time. I have never shot one but have friends who love them.

It sounds to me like you did good. Now, get out and practice, practice, practice. Be sure to utilize the experience of the pro shop you bought from, they should be an excellent resource in learning the sport. Archery is a sport for all ages. It is also a sport that if you want to be proficient, it requires dedication and alot of practice. The best advice I could give is to try and be as consistent as possible with draw, anchor and release. If you can master the consistency of those 3 things, archery can be extremely gratifying when you hit exactly where you are looking. Pick the smallest spot on the target and take aim to hit that exact spot. Proficiency comes with practice. The more you shoot, the better you get. Joining a local archery club will also put you in touch with others who have many years of experience and can also help with your learning experience. The comradery of the local archery clubs is usally priceless. They also offer a place to shoot outdoors or have 3D target shoots for members or public. 3D shoots are excellent practice.

Congratulations on your decision to take on a new sport that will no doubt, give you a sense of great accomplishment, whether you only shoot paper targets or actually become a bowhunter.

On a side note:

My wife and I are both bowhunters. Me, since about 1974 and my wife since about 1990. We both have shot IBO competitions for about 15 yrs and have both been lucky enough to be able to share an outdoor sport with each other yet been able to gain a feeling of self satisfaction. Archery is a great family sport.

"Shoot Straight"
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

John Schulz longbows. Only way to go. Google it.

I have shot Parkers, Martins, Mathews, Hoyts, and everything else. I prefer PSE, but Parker does make quality bows.
    God Bless America!!

Links