Stupid military time - Page 2

Stupid military time

This is a discussion on Stupid military time within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Ram Rod Boy....you all are some pilots, I'll tell ya. I know one doesn't really have to know how to spell...only how ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stupid military time

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Boy....you all are some pilots, I'll tell ya. I know one doesn't really have to know how to spell...only how to file flight plans. Greenwhich would be Greenwich, or GMT= Zulu. Granted, most of the mass population doesn't use these means, and some are not that technical when it comes to spelling what you think you know. To me, verifying a claim to knowledge starts with spelling things right to start with....otherwise, in my eyes, you don't have much to back up the claim. I can honestly say I can spell my career, and almost anything associated with it in terms. I by no means intend to say that those who cannot spell what they are talking about know nothing of what they say....after all, speech and the written word are different in a lot of ways.

Give me a break please RamRod... it's late and I wasn't spell checking as I was typing. I shoulda just said GMT instead of *Greenwich*
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Ridgeline View Post
    As long as my pilot understands nose up at take off and nose down at landing, and can calculate fuel consumption in between ... his or her spelling skills are secondary to me.
    That's good enough for me too. Push forward and the people on the ground get bigger. Pull back and they get smaller, then they get bigger again.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by rolyat63 View Post
    ...and when you receive it in 'military time" or to verify what you mean you subtract 12. I like to say it as either 12 or 24. e.g if we need to add 3 hrs to 2300 you get 2600-2400 for 0200 as opposed to 1100 + 300 is 1400 or 2pm
    I wasn't thinking that way but your correct. My apologies.
    Member NRA, SAF and Georgiacarry.org
    “America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    Virtually everyone in the world uses a 24-hour clock. Learn it.

Subtract 2 and disregard the 1.

18 - 2 = 6

I work in LE and we use a 24 hour clock. This is the best way I found to find the REAL time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post

Hey, I'm just going to look at my watch...you guys figure out the time zones...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

EW3
    I really like the 24 hour clock/Military time and think it should be used more in this country. There is no ambiguity; it's 0600 or 1800; not 6 "in the morning" or 6 "at night".

I got it drilled into me pretty quick in the Army but can understand how the OP mixed up the times. Try that in the military though..."Sergeant, I thought you said 7"
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

I did some computer repair for a neighbor once and she said she what do I owe you? I said nothing, she said "anything at all", I said ya'll have done enough stuff for us (watching animals and such) we probably owe you.

It wasn't until afterward that I though about it what she was really saying. She wasn't Italian,.. even if I would have understood the inference I would have passed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links