Stupid military time

Stupid military time

This is a discussion on Stupid military time within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I had a (female) friend "request" that I help her with some computer issues she was having. Thinking that it would take a substantial amount ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stupid military time

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Stupid military time

I had a (female) friend "request" that I help her with some computer issues she was having. Thinking that it would take a substantial amount of my time (which it did, BTW) I offered a trade. Since she is Italian, I would exchange tech support for dinner. She agreed.

As we are working out the date and time, she said (in an email) why don't you show up on Friday at 1800? I am thinking, ugh, 6 pm, traffic on Friday is going to be a bear. So I countered 1700 because I was thinking, for whatever reason 7 pm. She thought that was strange, but agreed.

So I blithely show up at 7 pm and she answers the door with a surprised look on her face, like, where have you been. I told her I am on time, 7 pm, right??

Well, she was smart enough to know what I meant in the emails and wisely prepared dinner for 7 pm, just in case. We had a great lasagna dinner and I fixed her computers. (I thought it was one computer, but she whipped out a laptop in the middle of me fixing her desktop and well, I guess I was so drunk from all that ice cream that I included the laptop in as an extra value.) I haven't weighed myself this morning, but I fear I gained 5 pounds.

I am going to be a bit more aware of my military time in the future. Probably won't make that mistake again.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Subtract 12 and you are good to go. Glad she was understanding and a good cook to boot!
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    Subtract 12 and you are good to go. Glad she was understanding and a good cook to boot!
    Actually, it's add 12 for times after 12 noon. I.E., 1pm would be 1300hrs.
    Member NRA, SAF and Georgiacarry.org
    “America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” Abraham Lincoln

I guess you wouldn't have had that problem if you had served in the military.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by echobaby View Post
    I guess you wouldn't have had that problem if you had served in the military.
    Well, it was the Vietnam era. Then, when I did want to join years later, because I had pins in my ankle from a ripped muscle repair, they declined. I sort of regret not having served.

But I am an engineer, and you would think I could make the simple calculation.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Quote Originally Posted by ronwill View Post
    Originally Posted by Paco
    Actually, it's add 12 for times after 12 noon. I.E., 1pm would be 1300hrs.
    ...and when you receive it in 'military time" or to verify what you mean you subtract 12. I like to say it as either 12 or 24. e.g if we need to add 3 hrs to 2300 you get 2600-2400 for 0200 as opposed to 1100 + 300 is 1400 or 2pm
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

VIP Member
    Just be glad she was using the standard 24 hr clock and not using zulu time!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Virtually everyone in the world uses a 24-hour clock. Learn it.

Subtract 2 and disregard the 1.

18 - 2 = 6
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Just never use 0'midnight30 around your company gunny, it just doesn't go well. But subtracting 12 usually works ok.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Actually I have my own formula, in the PM add 2 to the time and put a one in front, so it is easy 5:00 pm + 2 put the one in front and bingo 1700, in the AM if it is not four digits put a 0 in front.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Just be glad she was using the standard 24 hr clock and not using zulu time!

Now THAT would've been a funny read!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

As a pilot, we think that way all the time. There is only one time zone for everyone, everywhere... Greenwhich, also known as Zulu.

The story goes, a newbie pilot was calling Air Traffic Control to check in and gave the time as 3:00. The controller said, "can you give that to me in Zulu"? The pilot replied, "sorry, I don't speak any of those African languages."
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    As a pilot, we think that way all the time. There is only one time zone for everyone, everywhere... Greenwhich, also known as Zulu.

The story goes, a newbie pilot was calling Air Traffic Control to check in and gave the time as 3:00. The controller said, "can you give that to me in Zulu"? The pilot replied, "sorry, I don't speak any of those African languages."
    Boy....you all are some pilots, I'll tell ya. I know one doesn't really have to know how to spell...only how to file flight plans. Greenwhich would be Greenwich, or GMT= Zulu. Granted, most of the mass population doesn't use these means, and some are not that technical when it comes to spelling what you think you know. To me, verifying a claim to knowledge starts with spelling things right to start with....otherwise, in my eyes, you don't have much to back up the claim. I can honestly say I can spell my career, and almost anything associated with it in terms. I by no means intend to say that those who cannot spell what they are talking about know nothing of what they say....after all, speech and the written word are different in a lot of ways.

As long as my pilot understands nose up at take off and nose down at landing, and can calculate fuel consumption in between ... his or her spelling skills are secondary to me.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links