Inline water filter question???

This is a discussion on Inline water filter question??? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I just bought and installed a new inline water filter...the kind for the frig water/ice maker. After hooking up the quick connecters, I was snapping ...

Thread: Inline water filter question???

Inline water filter question???

I just bought and installed a new inline water filter...the kind for the frig water/ice maker. After hooking up the quick connecters, I was snapping the filter itself in place and I noticed a wee bit of water coming out of the filter.

So, does anyone know if this is normal residual water from manufacturing/flushing/pressure testing? Or did someone buy a new one, then return the box with their old, used up filter in it?

Thanks...I know someone here knows the answer. If it matters, it is a GE filter.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    That's worrisome that water is coming out of it before you pressurized it? I doubt that the companies pressure test every one, I guess it's possible, maybe they pull some random filters and check them and you happened to buy one of those?

You may be right, someone may have returned a used filter. I don't like how this sounds, I'd return it and complain about it having water in it already and check a new one out instead.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Here's what I'd do: Call the company and ask if it's normal (Google the phone #). If they say it's not, return it to the store for another unit, and check the new one before you take it home.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

I use the same set up for mine, and have never had water come out before I turned my supply back on, I have had it happen after the water was turned back (but we won't go there right now ).

I'd take it back and swap it for one that still had the factory seal on the box, or at least looked like it had never been opened.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

-Paco

The filters I buy for our frig come in a box, but are also 'sealed' in plastic...no way to be used and returned. If not in the plastic, then I would return it.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

It has been many years since I worked in the retail plumbing field, but I have never seen a filter that had water in it that had not been hooked up. More than likely someone purchased it couldn't get something to work properly and returned it to the store.

I would take it back and tell them this and get one that hasn't been hooked up already.

Another suggestion, when you hook up the new one, run some water through it before connecting it to the back of the fridge line. Just stick it in a pail and turn the water pressure on till it runs clear, will only be a pint or quart of water. There is a good chance that the first water to come out of it will be black if it is an activated charcoal filter. Nothing wrong with it, but you don't want that charcoal in your ice maker or fridge line.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Thanks all...I'll have to take it back. It' wasn't a lot of water...really just a teeny drip, but it made me wonder. One of the quick connect fittings also is a check valve. Farron may be right, perhaps it didn't work/wouldn't flow for them because of the check put in backwards? Or then again, maybe it's 6 months old and they just wanted a replacement free... Yep, going back.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Someone used and returned it,take it back and inform them. Get a sealed unit. The filters I got were wrapped in heatshrink plastic.

What Pete Z said... I would risk a potential health problem.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Links