What famous people have you met?

This is a discussion on What famous people have you met? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I did a search on this topic and didn't find anything similar. There is a thread running about whether you'd disarm to meet a politician. ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    VIP Member

I did a search on this topic and didn't find anything similar.

There is a thread running about whether you'd disarm to meet a politician. In looking over the posts on that thread it's obvious most don't care to meet a politician......me included, but I might depending on who it is. As a group I don't think many of us are very starstruck.

Nevertheless sometimes you just happen to run into someone of political or celebrity status. It is interesting to note how these folks act when the camera isn't on them. In private do they seem sincere? Pompous? Hurried? etc It's interesting to hear about them from others who had a chance encounter.

OK, I'll start it. Just this week I got to meet our newly-elected Gov Bobby Jindal when he came to our small NW Louisana town. No big entourage whatsoever, maybe one assistant. Casually dressed. Very well spoken and deep knowledge on the subjects (hurricane recovery) he talked on. Not hurried, very approachable.

One antecdote I remember reading about him- BTW he was born and grew up in Baton Rouge. He and his wife have three children, IIRC nearing the due date for his wife on their third child, she quickly went into labor. He called 911 when he realized it was too late to attempt to make it to the hospital, and during the wait he delivered the baby himself. This was shortly before he was elected governor.

I've attached two photos that were taken while he was here. Note in one picture you can see he's wearing cowboy boots.....me being an ex-rodeo guy I thought that was pretty cool. In another picture he happened to be standing by a trophy case/gun cabinet at the courthouse. Note the type of gun inside the case......it's a real one!

BTW I did have to disarm to meet him......he was in our local courthouse for the meeting. Got to be disarmed there to go inside for any reason. Lot's of my leo buddies were there to see him as I did, of course they were armed.

Suggestion- Let's keep the thread open and avoid letting this develop into any sort of politician/political polarizing. Let's "police" ourselves and give the mods a break.

I almost forgot, I'm editing to add that Jindal is very pro-gun, but ya'll probably know that already. I think the NRA gave him an A+ rating. On a side note, I predict he'll wind up in Washington one day.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by ppkheat; September 25th, 2008 at 08:56 AM. Reason: added
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I have met several movie stars, a world renowned director, an author and assorted other people. They are regular people with the same issues we face...except maybe they don't worry so much if they print.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Styx and Blue Oyster Cult, KISS, Foreigner, etc.........
    Oh yeah! Almost forgot....William Shatner.
    Last edited by Ram Rod; September 25th, 2008 at 02:59 AM.

i actually have a funny story about a celebrity run-in. many, many years ago, in Manhattan, NYC, i was getting off the #1 train, at what i think was the 72nd St. station. i walked up the subway steps to the street. as i passed the newstand, i just caught something in the corner of my eye, when -WHAM!- a female jogger ran into me. actually, her sternum ran into my forehead, as she was quite tall. i fell down, and she stumbled over me. she was wearing a grey hoodie, sunglasses, and black spandex shorts. a bit of blonde hair stuck out from underneath her hood.

"omigod, are you okay?" she asked, breathing hard.

"yeah, sure," i said, a little annoyed. i looked at her again, and something about her was bugging me. i stared at her a bit, until she stood up, and said, very genuinely, "sorry 'bout that! take care..." she jogged off again.

3 blocks later, i realized my forehead had run into the sternum of daryl hannah.

even her sternum is hot.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    David Raische in an airport in Hawaii. Flew in same plane as Danny Glover. Saw George Lopez at California Adventure.

Sold a holster to a very famous new country singer's father.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Senior Moderator
    I ate a fiddle cake with Dolly Parton

Way back in 1988-89 my high school band marched in the opening parade for DollyWood. I played the tuba in the band but I played the Juice Harp for fun.

So I was playing the Juice Harp while the parade was lining up and up walked Dolly and said "That's real nice, do you play that marching?" and I said "No Mam, I play the Tuba" The conversation went on with Dolly asking my questions and me replying with Yes and No Mam's. She invited me to lunch with her after the parade (and a few other people) if I agreed to play the Juice Harp for her.

So I guess I can say that I played Juice Harp for Dolly Parton. She is incredibly nice and down to earth.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

My daughter dates Alice Cooper's son. Is Alice still famous? Real nice guy, even though he looks goofy in his golf outfits.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Muhammed Ali - 1992
    Toby Keith - 2004
    Uncle Ted (Nugent) - 2004
    Tommy Lasorda - 2004
    David Beckham - 2008 (July)
    President G.H.W. Bush - 2004
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Musicians:
    BB King (extremely nice, generous man)
    Don Henley of The Eagles
    James Taylor
    Gregg Allman (of the Allman Brothers Band)
    Craig Chaquico (guitarist of Jefferson Starship)

Other famous people:
    Peter Jennings
    Jane Pauley

I can't top the President or Ali though

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

GG Allin - if you dont know, I really beg you NOT to google that one
    Magic Dick , of J Geils Fame
    Shirley Manson
    Gwen Stefani
    Most of the 1996 US Olympic Women's Basketball team

I partied with the cast of the movie "East of Java" about the volcano Krakatoa, when they were filming it in Spain.

How about Infamous people?.
    I interviewed and photographed Carl Harp, The Belleview Sniper. His wife was an old friend of mine.
    I was followed and I confronted Ted Bundy, He was following me and the three Models I was shooting photos of. This was before any one knew who was killing all
    the Women. Two of my Models resembled the women he was killing.
    I met Elizabeth Clare Peophet, Billy Graham, and Oral Roberts.
    I had dinner a couple times with Dr Arvol Looking Horse, the guardian of the Sacred Pipe of White Buffalo Calf Woman.

Good thread. I wish I could participate. I'll subscribe.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Drew Carey in Vegas befoe he was famous.

Marla Maples and The Donald when I was on a creeper rigging an experimental jet at Cessna. The cheapskate wouldn't buy her drawers.

A Muppeteer who does many of the characters on the show at the dealership I work at.

Quote Originally Posted by Shizzlemah View Post
    GG Allin - if you dont know, I really beg you NOT to google that one
    LMAO!!! i met him at his very last show in NYC. well, after the show, at the party where he, well, you know....

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    President G.H.W. Bush - 2004

Wow. Give me some details on that one. BTW, were you carrying at the time?
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links