Have drugs changed your life?

This is a discussion on Have drugs changed your life? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by PatrioticRick My wife and I over the last 20 years have taken in 2 abused and 5 drug addicted kids. The first ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Have drugs changed your life?

Quote Originally Posted by PatrioticRick View Post
    My wife and I over the last 20 years have taken in 2 abused and 5 drug addicted kids. The first was a young girl(14) who was basically a coke whore, we knew the Mom and she had us snatch her. We had her about a month, long enough to get all the drugs out of her system and she went home.

The second was a girl(13) who lived next door and saw what we did for the first girl. She told us that she was being beat by her mother. The Dad and I were on good terms, so I confronted him and he confirmed it. He was in the process of retiring from the AF and they would be moving off base. Well they moved, but left the daughter living with us. She lived with us for about 5yrs until she got married. Then I retired and we moved to So. Cal.

The third was a boy(14) he was my sons best friend, always hanging around, but didn't know that much about him or where he lived. One day I get a collect local call from him and I'm wondering *** is up with this kid. He said: "Could I come and pick him up" and he was at the High School. Puzzled I said OK and went and got him. Turns out both his parents got busted for heroin and both went to jail that day and he had nowhere to go, so he stayed with us until he graduated High School and joined the Navy.

Then we moved from So. Cal to Eastern Idaho, we weren't here six months when my son brought a young man(17) home that needed help. He lived with us for a year, stayed clean and then his brother got home from a mission(LDS) and he wanted to move home again. Well the brother got him using drugs again and to this day is still using. What a waste of a year, but we tried. Now he's married and has a kid of his own. Hopefully things will change.

We also had three others get clean and stay that way, a Girl (19) Boy (17) Boy(18) They all stayed a year in our home.

We still talk to all the kids, but the first one. The second girl wanted to live near us, so her and her husband and 4 kids(one she took in, her sisters) moved from California to 3 hours away in Montana. The boy that joined the Navy, did his time and got out and moved back in with us for a while, had his last name changed to mine and is now married with a kid on the way, living about 10 miles from my wife and I. The other kids have stayed in touch and live in a 20 mile radius from us.

How all this happened? I don't know, right place right time I guess and just doing what's right. Today we are still the house that the kids like to hang out at, my daughters friends come in and go strait for the frig. They know they can always get something to eat here and be safe.

Side story: I have a big bonfire pit and was burning some wood, wife and I just standing there watching it and kids started showing up, because they saw it miles away and knew it was my house. We had about 10 ten kids show up and my daughter was working, so they called her and tell her she is missing the bonfire and rubbing it in that she had to work. Next thing: "Hey Rick what's in the frig."
    Often God sends his lost sheep to a good shepherd. Very nice to say the least... May God bless you and yours.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

2. Remove Ads

Stats? I have never heard about anyone stoned on Pot all by itself, not mixed with anything else, that flipped out and killed someone. Show me where someone that used only pot killed some one with a car. It is said that Pot is harsher on the lungs then cigaretts because of how it is smoked, but there is no evidence that it destroys all internal organs or brain cells. As a matter a fact in the last couple of years science has shown that there is evidence that it may heal brain injuries as well as other ailments.

So I restate, Alcohol is more dangerous then Pot.

Senior Moderator
    I have a friend who I went to school with who smoked and still smokes alot of Pot, he's 36 and still lives in his parents basement and delivers pizza's. I know he has beeen arrested but I don't think he every spent more than 24 hours in jail.

I have (Had) 3 other friends who are alcoholics, one died driving the wrong way on the interstate taking out a family of 5. The other 2 are in and out of jail for DUI's, assualt, and numerous other charges.

You decide which is worst.
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

Drugs have been good and bad in my case. Previcid changed my life. I used to suffer terribly from acid refllux since I was a child and would probably have ended up with esophgeal cancer were it not for this miracle drug.

On the other side of the coin, my two best friends from when I grew up are pretty bad off. One is a meth head and the other an alcoholic.

My brother in law died from a cocaine induced heart attack, almost two years ago at the age of 35, after being a drug addict since he was a teenager. Sad to say, but everyone is better off now, including him.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Nothing as drastic or traumatic as others...back when I played in a rock band, I watched the most talented drummer I had the pleasure of knowing turn into a drunken, pot smoking waste of flesh. Watching him trying to get high off the nitrous oxide from a whip cream maker isn't an endearing memory.

-JT

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Here's a wierd one...

I have a friend that I went to school with that has smoked pot almost every single day (by his admission) for the last 20 years, since high school. He's tried a bunch of other drugs, but never really got into them. He's never been arrested, and has only had traffic violations. He quit drinking before he turned 21 and hasn't had more than a 12-pack in 16 years. Also, in that time, he's worked full time and has never been without a job. He went to college at night while working during the day, shortly after his first child was born. He got all A's and B's. He has a job in the computer industry. He works hard and makes great money. He has even taken an IQ test while high as a joke and score as a genius.

He told me a couple of years ago that he didn't see the problem with it and has no plans on quitting. And seeing what he's accomplished while being a pothead, it has made me wonder what the problem with it really is. I'm not saying it's great and everyone should do it, but I also have learned that it's not the horrible end of the world drug that it's sometimes made out to be.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

Drugs have changed everyone's lives. We live in fear of attack, crime is rampant, morals are non-existant. Why? Drug culture.
    I grew up in an era where people went on vacation and didn't lock their doors. People went to work, raised their families, went to church. Don't tell me it's poverty, there was massive poverty during the depression, and crime was still low.
    Quote Originally Posted by morintp View Post
    but I also have learned that (pot is) not the horrible end of the world drug that it's sometimes made out to be.
    Show me a crack addict that's never smoked pot.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    Show me a crack addict that's never smoked pot.
    We could argue all day that pot is a gateway drug only because it's illegal and sold by the same people that sell the other drugs. If it was legal, it would be sold at a store, nowhere near crack and other drugs.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

You want to talk about a gateway drug, lets start with Tobacco, then move on to Alcohol. Maybe wew should start with coffee, I got my first buzz off beer when I was 6, coffee when I was 7. I moved onto cigarettes when I was 10, Hard alcohol when I was 12.

It starts young and inocently, if it is not stopped early then it can snowball.
    How about perscription drugs, Some parents give children drugs when they are ill and think nothing of it. People in todays society are programed from an early aged to take drugs to feel better.

IIRC there are more prescription and over the counter medication that is being abused than illegal drugs,just because people think it's sold in stores or prescribed by a doctor it's ok and then when they start taking more than prescribed it's ok because it's not crack etc.It doesn't matter what the drug is when you start abusing it you head down a slippery slope.different peoples chemistry makeup causes drugs to effect them in different ways.Like somebody else posted directly o0r indirectly drug abuse affects every single person on this planet
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Alcohol vs marijuana, I'd have to say, if I had my choice marijuana would be legal and alcohol illegal. You can't get addicted to Marijuana. Alcoholism is the worst addiction to beat. Marijuana has medical purposes, helps cancer patients get an appetite, helps with glaucoma, and believe it or not, helps with morning sickness and nausea to name a few. Marijuana can be used the same as cotton for clothing, so if grown legally the crops would be used to their fullest.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Tried a few things back in the 60's, but my drug of choice now is caffeine.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

I used to drink in the 80's...

But now I don't care what temperature it is.

Pot is not nearly as benign as its proponents would have you believe: it is a much more potent carcinogen than tobacco. Unfortunately I am a medical professional and know whereof I speak. It has its benefits but I wouldn't use it on a bet.
    Drugs have touched my life, yes, but as I mentioned in another post, I was a firefighter-EMT and EMT-Paramedic for 21 years, and simultaneously a deputy marshal for 18 of those same 21 years, so I won't talk about those experiences.
    I will say I enjoy the use of prescription blood pressure medication.
    It's kept me off kidney dialysis.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

The son of the friend Reborn told you about earlier, was taken off of life support today. The good thing is his organs will be given to some who need them. Y'all remember Chris's family, they had some very hard decisions to make.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links