Have drugs changed your life?

This is a discussion on Have drugs changed your life? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Has someone you know that uses drugs touched your life? I am not talking about LEOs on duty. Every LEO that has been on the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have drugs changed your life?

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar

Have drugs changed your life?

Has someone you know that uses drugs touched your life? I am not talking about LEOs on duty. Every LEO that has been on the force anytime at all has some type of situation that is related to drugs use. I asking in your personal world. My own son is a drug user and one of my best friends son, who is 34 had his head split open yesterday in a drug deal gone bad. He is fighting for his life. I would like to read your story, if you care to share it.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Not so much in my personal life, but dont be fooled into thinking that the experiances of the lowly LEO doesnt creep into his personal life.

My best friend growing up has been spending his life in prison since we turned 18 in large part due to drugs.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I took in and supported a friend when I was 20 and he was 18 after he got kicked out of his house for drugs, 2 dui's and disrespecting his mother.

I gave him shelter and food until he got a job and started pitching in for rent and food. One day I came home to the smell of pot, walked upstairs and he had a room full of minors smoking up. Kicked em all out and took the key away from him. Explained how muhc trouble he could have gotten me in. He started packing the next day and could only come in the house when I was home untill he was moved out.

He tracked me down and called me up 2 years later for trying to help him and for kicking him out. Apperantly he felt so guilty about what he did to a close friend that he quick everything even cigarettes and has spent the last 6 years doing full time missions work through the church.

I saw first hand how something as "harmless" as pot could really screw up someones life.
    "An armed society is a polite society" - Robert A. Heinlein

Never tried any drug including pot. I could not image soemthing that has such a hold on you that knowing it is wrong you can not stop. Now crack is something good! Just Kidding. Drugs=Bad!!

Another close friend almost overdosed when he went through my medacine cabinet and found the percocets that I had from getting my wisdom teeth out.

he went on to get addicted to some hard drugs and even started to steel from friends and their families to support his habit. The army and having a kid was able to straighten him out.
    "An armed society is a polite society" - Robert A. Heinlein

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Not so much in my personal life, but dont be fooled into thinking that the experiances of the lowly LEO doesnt creep into his personal life.

My best friend growing up has been spending his life in prison since we turned 18 in large part due to drugs.

Oh I know SIXTO........it follow me home a few times over the years as an LEO but it's different when it loved ones and family.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

I myself was a small time/part time user; more experimental. I have a niece who used and had a few run ins with LEO, once wrecked her car while driving while mixed with beer and cold medicine.

My Sister's first husband was all mixed up as well, got to the point one time he threw her out of a window (patio windiw that was low to the ground) while she was pregnant with the above niece. Luckily he took care of himself with a belt in the closet before we could get too far down the road with him.

They can bring out the strangest parts of your psyche.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

The mother of my daughter drug abuse started with Alcohol then progressed through about every available street drug she could find. Alcohol was her main addiction though. She died from organ failure at the young age of 53. Many people pat themselves on the back and say they don't use drugs, but have a beer now and then. If you are one of these, don't kid your self, you are a drug addict. If you have one beer every night to relax, you have a drinking problem and are an addict. Alcohol is one of the worst drugs out there, especially since it is legal. Pot, which is illegal, is les dangerous then alcohol. Think about how many peoples lives are ruined by people who drink. People who are addicted to drugs commit many crimes against family, friends, and strangers. This includes those addicted to just alcohol.

I have had friends and Family hurt and killed because of different drugs. But the most drug prevelant has been Alcohol. Sorry about the rant, but people seem to always harp on the other drugs but turn a blind eye on those addicted to alcohol.

I find that a 12 pack of beer lasts me about 10 months, but thanks for telling me I'm a drug addict.

I'm a recovering Addict,been clean 17 years,I was lucky I was never convicted of a felony after I was arrested in 1991.I was basically honest and dependable as far as work and I tried pot a few times but it wasn't my thing,then somebody turned me on to "METH"and I was hooked,I used meth for 7 years and it took everything from me.It's not which drug you use but why you use and how it affects you.I tried to quit on my own several times but it takes more than just will power it requires a support system and willingness to change just about everything in your life.Today I don't drink alcohol or any other mood or mind altering substance.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    The mother of my daughter drug abuse started with Alcohol then progressed through about every available street drug she could find. Alcohol was her main addiction though. She died from organ failure at the young age of 53. Many people pat themselves on the back and say they don't use drugs, but have a beer now and then. If you are one of these, don't kid your self, you are a drug addict. If you have one beer every night to relax, you have a drinking problem and are an addict. Alcohol is one of the worst drugs out there, especially since it is legal. Pot, which is illegal, is les dangerous then alcohol. Think about how many peoples lives are ruined by people who drink. People who are addicted to drugs commit many crimes against family, friends, and strangers. This includes those addicted to just alcohol.

I have had friends and Family hurt and killed because of different drugs. But the most drug prevelant has been Alcohol. Sorry about the rant, but people seem to always harp on the other drugs but turn a blind eye on those addicted to alcohol.
    Care to share some 'stats and facts' to support this?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    I have two friends whom with I served in the Navy. They destroyed their lives with meth. I am no longer in touch with either of them and as far as I know they could be dead. Major bummer!
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

VIP Member
    My son, who is now a grown adult, had a friend when he was in fifth grade. This kid over dosed and died at the age of 17.

I'm sure my son was never ever involved as we moved to a different school district at the end of his fifth grade and the two didn't hang out together after that.

Funny thing, the dad of the boy who over dosed was a prominent business man. One day, years before the boy's death, a co-worker commented that the business man was in the drug business. I dismissed that as idle gossip, but it was that man's son who died. So, maybe there was something to it. I don't know.

Anyway, I often think about the boy who died. He had been a really nice kid and the parents might have been our friends except that they divorced, again, at about the end of my son's fifth grade experience.

I have some considerable sympathy for drug users. Not for their behavior, but for their situation. Many would never get into the stuff if they had adequate medical and psychological care available or parents who took better care of them.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Care to share some 'stats and facts' to support this?
    Do you really need the hard facts? Go to the grocery store or corner store and watch. I can't give you numbers but common sense goes a long ways. In my family alone I have seen the affects of alcohol abuse not to mention many many others. My brother died of cirrhosis of the liver when he was 42 and I was told to quit drinking when I was 28 because my liver enzymes were so out of whack and I was very jaundice among other things. I did no other drugs just alcohol, my brother also did no other drugs. I watched him slowly die for almost two years, he could not get a transplant. It was only then that I woke up, about a month after his passing. I quit in 1996 and have been very fortunate to not get back into that rut again. However I do not feel anyone who can have a few drinks now and then has a problem. It is when you plan your life and daily routine around alcohol you need to step back and take a serious look at things. It can get out of control easily. Their is no HARD DRUG, any drug, that sucks into it is a HARD DRUG. The classification of a drug means nothing to the people who are trying to beat them. I am not going to preach and hope this dose not read like a rant, but been there done that.

And yes, you may have seen some of my posts with the smilies holding a beer or downing a shot. Thats because I don't think that alcohol is evil in the hands of the responsible.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

My wife and I over the last 20 years have taken in 2 abused and 5 drug addicted kids. The first was a young girl(14) who was basically a coke whore, we knew the Mom and she had us snatch her. We had her about a month, long enough to get all the drugs out of her system and she went home.

The second was a girl(13) who lived next door and saw what we did for the first girl. She told us that she was being beat by her mother. The Dad and I were on good terms, so I confronted him and he confirmed it. He was in the process of retiring from the AF and they would be moving off base. Well they moved, but left the daughter living with us. She lived with us for about 5yrs until she got married. Then I retired and we moved to So. Cal.

The third was a boy(14) he was my sons best friend, always hanging around, but didn't know that much about him or where he lived. One day I get a collect local call from him and I'm wondering *** is up with this kid. He said: "Could I come and pick him up" and he was at the High School. Puzzled I said OK and went and got him. Turns out both his parents got busted for heroin and both went to jail that day and he had nowhere to go, so he stayed with us until he graduated High School and joined the Navy.

Then we moved from So. Cal to Eastern Idaho, we weren't here six months when my son brought a young man(17) home that needed help. He lived with us for a year, stayed clean and then his brother got home from a mission(LDS) and he wanted to move home again. Well the brother got him using drugs again and to this day is still using. What a waste of a year, but we tried. Now he's married and has a kid of his own. Hopefully things will change.

We also had three others get clean and stay that way, a Girl (19) Boy (17) Boy(18) They all stayed a year in our home.

We still talk to all the kids, but the first one. The second girl wanted to live near us, so her and her husband and 4 kids(one she took in, her sisters) moved from California to 3 hours away in Montana. The boy that joined the Navy, did his time and got out and moved back in with us for a while, had his last name changed to mine and is now married with a kid on the way, living about 10 miles from my wife and I. The other kids have stayed in touch and live in a 20 mile radius from us.

How all this happened? I don't know, right place right time I guess and just doing what's right. Today we are still the house that the kids like to hang out at, my daughters friends come in and go strait for the frig. They know they can always get something to eat here and be safe.

Side story: I have a big bonfire pit and was burning some wood, wife and I just standing there watching it and kids started showing up, because they saw it miles away and knew it was my house. We had about 10 ten kids show up and my daughter was working, so they called her and tell her she is missing the bonfire and rubbing it in that she had to work. Next thing: "Hey Rick what's in the frig."
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links