Were you ever almost killed?

This is a discussion on Were you ever almost killed? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Too often to list them all. Last year, was taking the empty stretcher out of the ambulance at a nursing home. Went to walk across ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Were you ever almost killed?

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Too often to list them all.

Last year, was taking the empty stretcher out of the ambulance at a nursing home. Went to walk across the driveway, but my partner pulled the other end of the stretcher (and me) back at the last minute.

Some senior citizen came rolling through the drive the wrong way and nearly had me for a hood ornament.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    As a child, my parents and I were leaving a scout function, and were sitting in the back seat of a friend's car. On the way home, his car stalled while crossing a railroad track. There was a train coming, just far enough away that the lights hadn't begun flashing. We were fortunate that our friend got the car moving just in time to get out of the way. It was a pretty close call!

While in the AF, I was on the flightline launching a C-5B and had a heart attack(I was 33) my crew grabbed me and rushed me to the hospital on Travis AFB. When we got to the ER I felt fine. The doctor hooked me up to their machines and had me lay down, when I did, I went into cardiac arrest. They had to shock me four times, so techically I died four times. My crew saved my life. Afterward everyone I talked to asked me if I saw the light. My response was "No, I saw Elvis and he's dead"
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by PatrioticRick View Post
    Afterward everyone I talked to asked me if I saw the light. My response was "No, I saw Elvis and he's dead"
    "Thank ya, uh thank ya very much".

Lots of close calls when all I had for transportation was a motorcyle... too many to count. Stupid Keebler truck forced me to lay it over through an intersection once. I was a stupid kid wearing barely any clothes and no helmet. Lost some skin, but walked away.

I was in the hospital every two years or so when I was a kid... really bad asthma. Usually, I'd be okay within a week. One time after a week long hospital stay and premature release, the sickness worsened into pneumonia and then my lung collapsed while I was home trying to cough up phlegm (sp?). They got me back in the ER, inserted a chest tube and then my blood pressure dropped. I remember everybody rushing around like crazy then fuzzy blackness. That sucked.

VIP Member
    Over a 56 year life span experiences:

Childhood- OK

Motorcycle- OK

Rodeo- OK

LEO duty- OK

Car wrecks- OK

Flight lessons- OK

Hazards of various jobs-OK

Cow attack- not OK A couple of months ago I was blind-sided by a bad momma cow. That would be a thousand pound attack with really bad attitude. This happened at the edge of a pond, she could have caused me to drown, or head/neck trauma, or my biggest threat was internal bleeding. I was fortunate and actually came out OK. Stayed banged up until recently, though I still hurt some today. Gradually getting better though.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Squawker View Post
    As a child, my parents and I were leaving a scout function, and were sitting in the back seat of a friend's car. On the way home, his car stalled while crossing a railroad track. There was a train coming, just far enough away that the lights hadn't begun flashing. We were fortunate that our friend got the car moving just in time to get out of the way. It was a pretty close call!
    I got a train one too;

I was riding dirt bikes with a buddy, we were about 15 or so, down a busy rail line. (I know, it was extremely stupid) We were cruising along at about 30 mph or so when out of no where a train was about 20ft off our rear fenders blaring its horn. Trains on that line usually go about 50-70mph, and would have easily overtaken us at our speed and chewed us up.
    We both crashed down the embankment on opposite sides to get out of the way, and we both thought each other got it as we waited for the long freight train to pass.
    Both our bikes needed new plastics and bars, I broke my shift lever and clutch lever too. Our gear saved us from any damage from our crashes.
    "Just blame Sixto"

There have been several and one where I stood 6 inches from a freight train on a trestle passing by me at full speed gave me nightmares. Been there, done that, don't want to do it again. Sometimes I wonder how I made it to my 58th birthday.

Several near misses

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    Excluding military scenarios (sort of the hazards of the job) have you ever been in a situation where you were almost killed, but at the last moment were able to avoid the disaster?

Here is mine.

I was a teenager. The family was driving from Chicago to a small resort in Wisconson. I was the driver. It was a two lane highway on a rural road. I approached a hill. As I got just about to the top, two cars came over the crest of the hill. They were right next to each other. The one in my lane was obviously trying to pass the other as it came to the top of the hill. (Can you say stupid and dangerous?) I was going the speed limit (60 mph), but the other car coming head on at me in my lane was going faster than the speed limit as it tried to pass the slower vehicle. Some quick maneuvering saved everyone's life.

It is true what the say. In the second or so before the head on collision, my entire life did flash before me.

Military, Motorcycle...Life in general...Just thank God everyday for everyday above ground...

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    Excluding military scenarios (sort of the hazards of the job) have you ever been in a situation where you were almost killed, but at the last moment were able to avoid the disaster?
    I am of the impression that all males were nearly killed at least once at one time or another when they were between the ages of 16-25, and that only by the Grace of God are most permitted to survive. It only after age 25 that we began to acquire common sense and natural fear. Maybe that is why auto insurance rates start to decrease at age 25.

VIP Member
    Too many near misses driving; one almost gotcha when a plane engine blew,
    a few interesting experiences with a ladder, with electricity, with toxic fumes at work; a too close encounter with a shark which fortunately ignored me when I surprised it, and it surprised me.

A loooonnngg time ago, I made the tactical mistake of trying to stop a drunk buddy from driving home by climbing onto the hood of his car.......

FWIW, the view from the hood of a Fiat X-19 at 80 mph is a lot different than that from the inside!
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

About 5 or 6 years old. Six Flags. Roller coaster. Safety bar didn't quite hold me in. Dad grabbed me and held on as I started to slide out during a turn. Distinctly remember half my body no longer being in the car for a bit. Was not a fan of roller coasters for a long time after that, for some odd reason.

-JT

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    Over a 56 year life span experiences:

Cow attack- not OK A couple of months ago I was blind-sided by a bad momma cow. That would be a thousand pound attack with really bad attitude. This happened at the edge of a pond, she could have caused me to drown, or head/neck trauma, or my biggest threat was internal bleeding. I was fortunate and actually came out OK. Stayed banged up until recently, though I still hurt some today. Gradually getting better though.
    Sure that wasn't Rosie O'Donnel in drag? Oh wait, she's already in drag.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Senior Moderator
    Well a meteroite almost hit the earth 2 years ago. Does that count?
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Almost killed once!
    “Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links