Were you ever almost killed? - Page 3

Were you ever almost killed?

This is a discussion on Were you ever almost killed? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by cwblanco I am of the impression that all males were nearly killed at least once at one time or another when they ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cwblanco View Post
    I am of the impression that all males were nearly killed at least once at one time or another when they were between the ages of 16-25, and that only by the Grace of God are most permitted to survive. It only after age 25 that we began to acquire common sense and natural fear. Maybe that is why auto insurance rates start to decrease at age 25.
    Nail meet Hammer. There is something about the learning process during the years 18-25 that once a male reaches age 25 they usually understand what cwblanco is saying. Until then evidently an unknown force looks after them.

I'm almost 60. I have road motorcycles for 42 years. Today I am disabled. I have had so many close calls I can not list them all here. Accidents with motorcycles, guns, animals, cars, working in the oil patch, and last but not least, working at the neighborhood 7-11 type stores. I think that of all the places I have been, and all the fights I have been in, thinking back at the times I have had a gun pulled on me, working at a convienice store has to be the most dangerous place I have ever been. In three years of working these stores off and on, I had to pull my pistol on several occasions. I thank God every day that I have made it this far! I never thought I would live this long!

Y'all be safe now, ya hear!

A Fruit Loop nearly took my out. I was eating dry loops out of the box and got one stuck in my throat. I'll never forget it. I actually thought I was about to go out and was just in disbelief that it was from a fruit loop. I was thinking "this is it. The wife is going to come home from work and find my fat butt dead in the floor." It was so bad in fact that I had those little pinpoint hemorrhages in my eyes and around my eyes for a week afterwords. It looked almost like I had two black eyes.

All that from a damn fruit loop. Naturally it couldn't have gotten stuck the correct way with the hole in line with my airway.

Twice

First time while I was stationed in Detroit after I got back from Vietnam. A shootout happened on the street as I walked to the door of my apartment house. A person running down the street stopped and stuck a gun in my face, then realized I wasn't who he wanted. He turned and shot someone who was about ten feet away. (who died) I ended up being a witness in court. Vietnam was safer for me than Detroit was then. (1970)

Second time, I was grabbed by some so-called revolutionaries while working on an oil field job in Bolivia. They let me go after a few hours, but it was scary at the time. I offered to pay them to guard our equipment and they eventually let me go and took me up on the offer. The conversation was "Totalmente en español". Never doubt the value of learning a second language.
    A veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable
    to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life." Author unknown

When I was 12 years old I spent a weekend with two of my friends (brothers) at their rural home. Among other animals, they raised rabbits and had several hutches on the property. The rabbits attracted an unbelievable number of very large rats that would chew their way into the hutches to kill and eat the rabbits. One night we decided to go out and see how many rats we could dispatch with a couple of shotguns. As myself and one of the brothers approached a hutch, the other brother who had already loaded one of the shotguns was behind us and, in the dark, slipped on a pile of boards and fell forward causing the shotgun to discharge when he hit the ground. My left arm was grazed by a few of the pellets, and the left sleeve of my winter coat was shredded.

Needless to say that put an end to our rat killin' exploits for that night. Today, I am fully aware of just how close I came to having my life ended at the young age of 12.
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

I was broadsided on a motorcycle in an inmtersection by a car that ran the redlight.I had a concussion and tore my right kneeup which required surgery,cop at the location heard the impact and watched my head skip off the curb after being thrown across the intersection,he thought I was gonna be a fatality.In 2002 I was ejected from a van going 55 MPH and broke my neck,I wasn't given a very good chance to live but pulled thru,I have some severe limitations as a result and am permanently disabled and classified as an incomplete quadriplegic
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Member Array airbornerangerboogie's Avatar
    Depends on whether you ask me or my XXXXX.
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” James Dean
    Phil (NRA Member and Vietnam Vet)
    ------------- My CCW ----------------
    No Guns Here Boss
    I gave them to the naked Pigmy's in New Guinea

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    We were cruising along at about 30 mph or so when out of no where a train was about 20ft off our rear fenders blaring its horn.

That would put a turd in your pocket!
    This is the law;
    The purpose of fighting is to win.
    There is no possible victory in defense.
    The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either.
    The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental. - John Steinbeck

Quote Originally Posted by pete156 View Post
    All that from a damn fruit loop. Naturally it couldn't have gotten stuck the correct way with the hole in line with my airway.
    Now that's funny!
    Sorry.
    This is the law;
    The purpose of fighting is to win.
    There is no possible victory in defense.
    The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either.
    The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental. - John Steinbeck

Drive a full size Dodge cargo van towing a Dodge shawon on a tow dolly driving down HIghway 91 in CT get a front blow out on the van at 55 MPH all over the road bring it under control and pull onto shoulder to change the tire.

Back on the road 10 minutes later again doing 55 MPH and a tractor trailer goes by me like I am standing still, the wind causes me to loose control all over the highway again but worse. Next thing I am doing a 180 and then I am looking at ground, sky, ground, sky, ground, sky. Hop out the drivers side window and see smoke the fire in now on fire. Jump out and watch the van burn. The car hit a tree and the roof looked like a tee-pee.

Bad day all around.

i almost died from pneumonia 2 years ago. i thought i just had a bad cold. i woke up in the hospital, not knowing how i got there.

i was almost killed in 2 separate car wrecks, both of which i walked away from with no injuries. one person died in one of them.

i had someone put a gun in my face and pull the trigger, and the round was a dud.

Yes and NO..... I did die. I was dead. They were able to bring me back.

The Newspaper apparently didn't get Part 2 and had My Death in the paper the next day.... which my 2 best friends showed everyone (without telling them the truth).

Don't know if this counts, but once while landing my plane in Bennington, VT, I blew a left strut tire. I had no almost lateral control down the runway, and it was all I could do to keep the plane on the runway.

While I was not scared at the time (adrenaline and training take over), thinking back on it gives me shivers sometimes.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

I was a firefighter-EMT and EMT-Paramedic for 21 years.
    18 of the 21 I served simultaneously as a deputy marshal.
    In my young life I have been shot, stabbed, cut, run into, run over, and a street evangelist tried to save my corroded soul.
    A nurse killed me.
    I went in to have some excess tissue taken out of my nose (lateral rhinoplasty) ... it was supposed to be an outpatient procedure. In one day, out the next, no problem.
    The problem was ... in recovery (I was the only surgery that day) the nurse was tying her tongue in knots with the nurse anesthetist over in the corner instead of watching me blowing off anesthetic.
    When the nurse came up for air she looked over at me and fancied I was the one who was short of breath.
    (Something about the pot calling the kettle black ...?)
    Anyway -- she grabbed the demand valve, plugged it on my ET tube and hit the trigger, and held it.
    My left lung burst like a child's balloon and collapsed.
    The right lung tore and deflated a little more slowly.
    The story continues with a walk through the Valley and being returned to my carcass, re-learning to walk, to read, to do numbers, and is too long for this posting.
    Suffice it to say that it was with a fine sense of irony I became a nurse later in life and worked in that same hospital.
    I will admit to feeling pretty funny when I was assigned as a student to give a heparin shot to a 25 year old male vent patient in bed 1, room 1, intensive care unit.
    I had been on that same vent in that same bed in that same room, a dozen years before, to the day.
    And I remember a male nurse coming in to give me a shot.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Did you hear the Twilight Zone theme playing, Sky Pilot???
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

"SA is a cognitive state or process associated with the assessment of multiple environmental cues in a dynamic situation" ~ Isaac

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links