Were you ever almost killed? - Page 4

Were you ever almost killed?

This is a discussion on Were you ever almost killed? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by dukalmighty I was broadsided on a motorcycle in an inmtersection by a car that ran the redlight.I had a concussion and tore ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Were you ever almost killed?

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I was broadsided on a motorcycle in an inmtersection by a car that ran the redlight.I had a concussion and tore my right kneeup which required surgery,cop at the location heard the impact and watched my head skip off the curb after being thrown across the intersection,he thought I was gonna be a fatality.In 2002 I was ejected from a van going 55 MPH and broke my neck,I wasn't given a very good chance to live but pulled thru,I have some severe limitations as a result and am permanently disabled and classified as an incomplete quadriplegic

D@MN!!!
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Distinguished Member
    Do you ever wonder when you get to the other side God shows you the thousand times He saved your butt. Like the extra long red light I have grumbled about or the old lady in front of me going twenty when a car ran a light at the next intersection. Or how about the hundred plus psychos who checked you out as to whether they wanted to send you Home early but God had other plans.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Administrator

Unhappy

A few times and possibly a couple more...who knows.

Once in an ambush robbery attempt when I was in my late teens. That's old forum news by now as I've mentioned it twice already.

Once when I was a pretty young kid and a partially demolished church stone wall fell on me. I was really trapped for hours and hurt badly.
    I was trying to get some "duck pins" and a couple of bowling balls out of what once was the basement. The church had a duck pin bowling alley in the basement. That experience changed my life early on. I should probably not be here now.

One other time that I'll not talk about or mention below.

Hummm...life physical injuries?
    I've been crushed.
    I've had 5 broken arms total.
    A broken wrist.
    Broken knuckles.
    A broken jaw.
    A broken leg.
    A broken collar bone.
    A broken nose.
    2 broken ribs.
    A Seriously Broken Heart...that hurt much worse than any of the above.
    A torn Achilles tendon.
    A low back injury.
    I was Stabbed through the wrist w/ an ice pick.
    I almost lost three toes (dumb me)...well, really only two.
    I've had a high speed wire brush send a wire flying and embed into my eyeball...I was not wearing safety glasses. That same 5 HP polishing motor is the same one that broke my wrist.
    ALWAYS WEAR SAFETY GLASSES! I always do now.
    I've had a concussion.
    A punctured eardrum.
    My appendix ruptured in a hospital waiting room one Labor Day. Playing with a road flare when I was kid it dripped burning Phosphorous that burned right through my shoe and 1/2" into the top my foot. (that took about two months to heal up)
    I was shot with a target arrow toward the side of my stomach which was not a real serious physical injury but, I got a systemic infection.
    I stepped on a big nail that went all the way through my other foot.
    I'm sure there's more...but, that's all I can think of right now.

BUT, I honestly feel great!
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    When I was 14 I wrecked a quad and slid on my head literally to the edge of a bridge with a 70 foot drop. There was no guard rail at the time. It involved an 8-foot trailer, a 12-foot flat-bottom boat, and a fat kid.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    When I was 14 I wrecked a quad and slid on my head literally to the edge of a bridge with a 70 foot drop. There was no guard rail at the time. It involved an 8-foot trailer, a 12-foot flat-bottom boat, and a fat kid.
    Watch out for the fat kids
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Reading your post again, I couldn't help but think that had it happened to me, I would OWN a hospital. I'm glad that you're ok, and I hope you sued the heck out of the nurse and the hospital.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post

Once in an ambush robbery attempt when I was in my late teens. That's old forum news by now as I've mentioned it twice already.

Once when I was a pretty young kid and a partially demolished church stone wall fell on me. I was really trapped for hours and hurt badly.
    I was trying to get some "duck pins" and a couple of bowling balls out of what once was the basement. The church had a duck pin bowling alley in the basement. That experience changed my life early on. I should probably not be here now.

I've been crushed.
    A broken wrist.
    Broken knuckles.
    A broken jaw.
    A broken leg.
    A broken collar bone.
    A broken nose.
    2 broken ribs.
    A torn Achilles tendon.
    A low back injury.
    I've had a high speed wire brush send a wire flying and embed into my eyeball...I was not wearing safety glasses. That same 5 HP polishing motor is the same one that broke my wrist.
    I've had a concussion.
    A punctured eardrum.
    My appendix ruptured in a hospital waiting room one Labor Day. Playing with a road flare when I was kid it dripped burning Phosphorous that burned right through my shoe and 1/2" into the top my foot. (that took about two months to heal up)
    I was shot with a target arrow toward the side of my stomach which was not a real serious physical injury but, I got a systemic infection.

Double D@MN!!!!

Yes.

Attacked quite violently, once, by two thugs believing they'd struck a small pot of gold. I was able to decisively repel the attack. The degree of resolution I found inside myself, that day, served me well.

Was driving in the mountains at dusk, coming over the crest at the start of a long grade. Logging truck (@ ~80K lbs) was behind me going ~50mph, and deer were in the roadway ahead of me. The only thing that saved any of us, at that moment, was (amazingly) that the deer decided to move off the roadway. At the moment, I figured there was a 5% chance of that being the outcome, at best. Good thing I was incorrect, 'cause I don't think a Peterbilt enema would have been a great way to end the day.

A river nearly took me, during a kayaking trip. 40*F water after a late-winter rain caused the run to be far more "pushy" and risky than anticipated. Got stuck in a ~30ft wide "toilet bowl" sink hole and had a devil of a time getting out. I wasn't counting on the exit, but kept trying anyway. Kept swimming to the outside edge of the swirling mass of water, finally being able to hook a finger on a rock. Felt like Wile E. Coyote in a wind storm, dangling from that rock. I had exhausted all my reserves of energy, by that point. Had I slipped off that rock, I would not have made it. (One thing I learned: a twelve foot kayak full of water hurts, when the river repeatedly and forcefully flings it at your head.)

Nearly "drowned" myself in snow, one fine day at Alpine Meadows ski resort, at Lake Tahoe. Eight feet of new snow was too enticing. Went down a double-black-diamond run, since that was the only sort that could give enough speed to overcome the vast amounts of snow on the ground. It was a pain, really. Coming out of a small forested area, I went right off a cliff and landed head-first in a dozen feet of snow at the bottom. It took a couple hours to completely get out of there. I had snow coming out of odd places for days, afterwards. Sounds like a funny experience, now, but I assure you that it was deadly serious the first couple minutes, pile-driven head-first into a snow bank. That it was of my own doing was no consolation at all.

QK: I hear ya, on the nail through the foot. BTDT, bud. My condolences.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

When I was a younger man, being a fire fighter I was a little reckless and almost cost myself the ultimate price many of times, between that and riding fast motorcycles I have no clue why I am alive. Heck I don't tell my wife a word of anything that happens at work.

The time I felt closest to death we had a call for a house fire and when we got there a 40 something lady was in the front yard yelling "My baby is inside!!!" she said he was upstairs so off 3 of us the went. Made the door could not see a thing it was hot and smoke was banked down, found the stairs and made our way up. We found a 350 pound guy and started pulling him out. After we got him to the stairs I told the other to with me to drag him down and I would finish searching the top floor (DUMB ASS move, never go alone). I got a little turned around and was starting to run low on air and decided it was time to bail, I heard a window break and went to it. Now out of air, mask off and eating crap smoke and starting to panic a little I found the window and there was a ladder at it (God bless the truck company) and I tried to bail out, screwed up my hands and feet and fell.
    It was about 14' from the window to the ground, I swear it took me a whole minute to hit the ground, I went through thoughts of I am going to get hurt, man I am going to end up paralyzed, all the way to I am going to die. Well I hit a flower bed flat on my back, other than some soreness in my back and coughing black crap for 2 days I walked away pretty much unscathed.
    When I figured out I was alive and everything worked the first thing I did was try and get up, hell I needed to go back in and find that baby.
    Problem was the ladies baby was the 350 pound guy, he had gotten stoned and forgot his food on the stove which started the fire, he lived and I still see him around from time to time and it pisses my off everytime, it reminds me of how stupid I was.

Several times.

The first was in the Military, Persian Gulf War in 1991.

Second was also in the Military, I and 2 other crew members were washed overboard during rough seas in the Atlantic. We all were rescued.

Next was as I was driving home in 1997. In Mobile Alabama it get real foggy at times. It can be amazingly foggy in fact and this night you could see no more that 30 feet in front of the car. Mind you, it was not this bad where I worked but got worse and worse as I got closer to my home.
    I was on a 4 lane divided state highway (2 lanes going East, 2 lanes going West with a grass median in between). I was in the right hand lane.
    Through the fog, a car passed me going in the opposite direction on my side of the divided highway. He was in the left hand lane of my side of the highway. This was just before I went under and overpass for I-10 so I figure he got off the interstate and turned onto the wrong side of the road by mistake in the fog.
    Had I been in the left lane of my side of the highway, we would have had a head on collision. It happened so fast that I didn't realize he was on the wrong side of the road until he was past me and his tail lights had faded into the fog behind me.

I was once on a flight from Biloxi Mississippi to VA Beach Virginia that had to make an emergency landing in Birmingham Alabama due to engine failure. Not sure if we almost died or not but it was not a real good feeling when the pilot told us what was going on and why we were landing.

Almost forgot this one, I ride my bicycle a lot now and I did so in high school too, before joining the Military. In April of 1986, I was riding on a country road in West-Central Indiana where I am from and I was hit by a car from behind. Broke my right leg in 3 places and tossed me into a ditch. The car did not stop or even slow down as far as I know. Luckily, a passing farmer saw my bike on the shoulder from his tractor and stopped to see if there was a banged up guy that belonged to the screwed up bike and found me, unconscious and bleeding in the ditch. Woke up in the hospital the next day. This event delayed my entry into the Navy from May until September.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post

I've been crushed.
    A broken wrist.
    Broken knuckles.
    A broken jaw.
    A broken leg.
    A broken collar bone.
    A broken nose.
    2 broken ribs.
    A torn Achilles tendon.
    A low back injury.
    I've had a concussion.
    A punctured eardrum.

I know not to hang out with QK Shooter, either he has the would best luck or worse luck

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pete156 View Post
    All that from a damn fruit loop. Naturally it couldn't have gotten stuck the correct way with the hole in line with my airway.
    Actually, just like a "lifesaver", the hole in a froot loop is not large enough to allow for non distressed respirations. It is however large enough to get you to a medical facility without passing out. Either way, as you discovered, it is a MAJOR irritant to your pharynx tissues, most assuredly uncomfortable. It stimulated your gag reflex, which WILL close your airway until you pass out.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

More stories:

Train 1:

Was driving when I was almost hit by a train. Weird roadway. Had to exit the freeway onto a right turn lane, merge left into through lane, then merge left again into left turn lane, all in a short space, with a railroad crossing smack dab in the middle. This particular day there was a school bus rolling up to do it's mandated RR stop. I of course breezed past in an ettempt to get in front and over. Just as I was passing the bus' front bumper, I heard a VERY LOUD horn. Looked left, the train was in the roadway, coming right at me. In case you are wondering, there were NO SIGNALS at this crossing.

Train 2:

Was leaving a friends house, he was following me, at night. His path ran parallel to tracks, then did a 90 onto and over. Just as I approached the curve, I checked my rear view, thought I saw his headlight but not a train. As I swerved onto the track, heard that VERY LOUD horn, kicked the tranny into reverse, and backed up about 5 feet, just enough to prevent a personal tragedy.

On the road:

Cruising around with some buddies, got onto a back road that I THOUGHT I knew. Going fast (in a top heavy Ford Bronco), all of a sudden there is a 90 degree curve right in front of me. Slam on the brakes, turn the steering wheel almost 180, HOLD ON! Came out of the curve about 50 MPH slower than I went in.

At home: As a young teen. Lamp blew a bulb. Went to change it. Did not unplug lamp, which still had juice flowing. When the (sweaty) hand holding the bulb met the metal around the socket, YOW!

At home: Gave my lovely bride an engagement ring that I bought a few years earlier in a really good deal. Now that was a really close call!

Will think of some more later...
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I was 18 and fell asleep at the wheel, drifted into oncoming traffic and met with an 18 wheeler.

6 weeks in hospital, closed head injury that normally is not survivable
    had to relearn to walk

many more broken bones and scars

then the run in with the chainsaw, lawnmower and axe in the year that followed while my brain was not back up to snuff (allowing me to do stupid things)

Administrator
    Its not my story, but I have a friend that was killed in Vietnam before I was even born.

He was shot five times across his abdomen with an AK. He was bagged and tagged in the field and was discovered to be still alive by medics at the morgue. He has numerous items and paperwork to support the tale, including a death cert. framed and hanging in his office. I know its far fetched and I would have not believed it until I saw his proof in person, with scars as well.
    He has been living a good life since, he is a very active guy with a succesful welding business, one of the very few guys I trust 100%.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links