Were you ever almost killed?

This is a discussion on Were you ever almost killed? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Excluding military scenarios (sort of the hazards of the job) have you ever been in a situation where you were almost killed, but at the ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Were you ever almost killed?

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Were you ever almost killed?

Excluding military scenarios (sort of the hazards of the job) have you ever been in a situation where you were almost killed, but at the last moment were able to avoid the disaster?

Here is mine.

I was a teenager. The family was driving from Chicago to a small resort in Wisconson. I was the driver. It was a two lane highway on a rural road. I approached a hill. As I got just about to the top, two cars came over the crest of the hill. They were right next to each other. The one in my lane was obviously trying to pass the other as it came to the top of the hill. (Can you say stupid and dangerous?) I was going the speed limit (60 mph), but the other car coming head on at me in my lane was going faster than the speed limit as it tried to pass the slower vehicle. Some quick maneuvering saved everyone's life.

It is true what the say. In the second or so before the head on collision, my entire life did flash before me.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Yup, I got a few stories I'll share later, provided I don't get whacked. I'm suprised I'm alive right now.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I have started a thread on my situation.

Click on the link on my signature.
    Read my story.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ed-1994-a.html

Pictures in page 5 & 6

This morning on my way to the gym by a blond woman in a silver sedan.

Female drivers in Fairfield county, CT...their aught to be a law against letting them out on the roads...

I got married. Same thing, just takes several years.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Almost died or almost killed?

I almost died once and didn't even know it at the time. I was 18 and had just gotten back from Europe. I was working at the Volvo international tennis tournament (back when Agassi had hair) and started feeling sick one day. That night my housemates threw a huge party and the police were called. I slept through the entire thing. Our managers came over at 2am and lectured everyone except me.

The next day I didn't go to work. Everyone left, and I was alone in the house. I started to walk to the living room to watch TV and halfway there I fell and had to crawl the rest of the way there. I had't drank or done any drugs, but I was delirious so crawling didn't seem strange at the time. A few hours later the managers sent one of my housemates to bring me to the doctor.

I had a fever of 107.5 and both of my lungs were 90% full. I had a bad case of pneumonia and I was severely dehydrated. I had to be hospitalized, but the nearest real hospital was 3 hours away. I took a nice long ambulance ride. Everything was so surreal. When I got to the hospital they checked my blood's oxygen content, and while on oxygen, my blood was only 76%. They took me off oxygen to see what it would be normally, and it kept dropping. It got down into the teens and the doctors started scrambling around like I had a heart attack. My parents had met me at the hospital when the ambulance arrived and the doctor took them out back to talk to them. When they got back they were crying, but I didn't even realize that was strange.

I ended up spending a week in the hospital, getting better every day. I didn't find out until two weeks after I was discharged that the doctor had told my parents that I wouldn't make it through that first night. My pneumonia was so severe no one thought I would live. But I never knew. I just thought I was sick, and I knew I would get better like I always do. Ever since then, I am a firm believer that positive thinking leads to good health.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    This morning on my way to the gym by a blond woman in a silver sedan.
    Well if you'd stop eyeballing them and start watching the road you wouldn't have had such a near miss....oh, did you mean it was her fault?

To Larryboy:

Are my military near death experiences so ho hum? Are they any less harrowing than a (near) car crash ? I object your honor! Okay I'm not really mad, i just feel ripped off.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Administrator
    OK, here is the first couple;

When I was a kid, I was riding with my dumbest sister to school. She just got a new car, and was giving me a lift. She pulled out in front of a suburban, and it split her car in two. I woke up as the medics and firemen were searching the ravine for me. They found me, and took me to the hospital where I spent the next week. My dumb sister wasnt hurt. For a few hours, they really were not sure if I would live or not. I lived.

Second time I almost bought it was on a Honda CBR. I was heading to see some friends in Cleveland, I was living near Seattle/Tacoma area while in the Army. Being 19 and made of steel and a only a limited time on leave, I wicked the throttle up on the bike and was going about mach 2 across Montana. Well, there is a lot of wildlife out there, and a huge cariboo or deer crossed the highway right in front of me. My braided brake lines earned their keep, I got the bike slowed down enough and was able to avoid crashing, but just barely. I don't know how I missed it, but I did. Had I hit the critter, the impact would have turned us both into dust. I had to purchase new tires, brake pads and underwear in the next town I came to.

I've been shot too, but that was "part of the job" you dont want to hear about.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    OK, here is the first couple;
    You could always post those in the LEO Stories thread. I haven't seen much new there lately and I love reading those stories.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

Me being stubborn once lead to me going to the hospital a couple days later than I should of with pneumonia, that was a fun experience, especially since it was on leave and I had a 20 mile hump the next week.

A couple of real close calls back when I was a teenage before my driving settled down, don't know if ya want to count those or not.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Almost died when I was about 6 to 7 years old from pneumonia(sp). Had high fever(not like 107.5, but high, about 104,105 IIRC) and I told my parents that I had a near death experience with the bright light and everything.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Anybody who wants to live on the edge should try my wifes cooking. It would kill a weaker man.

Driving from CA to KS I had a psycho semi driver try to run me off the road in AZ a couple of times. He might have just been trying to see down my shirt, but it was a two lane hwy and we were east bound, so I doubt it...

Nice one Hitch King...
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

"SA is a cognitive state or process associated with the assessment of multiple environmental cues in a dynamic situation" ~ Isaac

One time as a kid we were driving back home to Asheboro, NC from Dallas and we stopped the ol' station wagon and pulled off the road one night to sleep. When we woke the next day we found that my Dad had almost backed off the side of a mountain.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Distinguished Member
    Swimming at night after a hurricane. Yes, it was incredibly stupid. Riptide got me. As close as I have ever come to death. 11 people died in the currents in the next 24 hours. Same buddy, six years later, skiing deep powder in the trees in Steamboat Springs. Lost my balance and fell backwards. Almost suffocated in the powder. Two guys died a hundred meters from me because they fell forwards, face first. Time to get a new buddy.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links