Faking A GSW

This is a discussion on Faking A GSW within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This should elicit a LOT of fun answers. haha I'm taking a criminal forensics class and lab in school. Obviously we're covering firearms. Well my ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Faking A GSW

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar

Faking A GSW

This should elicit a LOT of fun answers. haha

I'm taking a criminal forensics class and lab in school. Obviously we're covering firearms. Well my professor asked for volunteers to help set-up a lab processing experiment. Naturally, if it involves guns at my school, the entire class volunteers. I seemed to have the best idea of how to do it so he told me to run with it this weekend. Here is what I am to accomplish:

I need to fake gunshot wounds into t-shirts and they need to look/be as realistic as possible. We can't use real blood due to biohazard issues, but I have an awesome recipe for fake blood (though I'm open to others!). Specifically, here is what I plan to do because he told me to go nuts with it.

1st Shirt: .40S&W Speer GDHP. Two rounds. 25 feet.
    2nd Shirt: .40S&W Speer GDHP. Six-Eight rounds. ~2-3 feet. (Lots of good residue!)
    3rd Shirt: 7.62x39 JHP. Four rounds. 25 feet.
    4th Shirt: 12ga 00Buck. Two rounds. 6 feet.

Now he told me to fake the blood if I could. The best thing I can come up with is to fill little ziplock baggies with fake blood and tape them to the interior of the shirt. Then stand the shirts up on a target stand and blast away. Then I had planned to pull the shirt off the stand and just lay it in the dirt to let everything drain.

Now what do you all think? I've never had to fake anything like this before. Any ideas of how I could fake this better? Keep in mind that I am on a budget so going out to buy sawhorses and additional stands might be out of my range but I'd like to hear what everyone here has to say.

Any additional recipes for fake blood must be odorless. So, no foods or pasta sauces.

And yes, there will be pictures posted when I finish. haha
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    We used to use liquid starch and red food coloring when I helped with training for the Red Cross folks...

Use your Google-Foo and do a search for movie special effects makeup. You'll probably find a 100 different brews out there and some ideas on how to make it look real.
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

Lead Moderator
    Use wet phone books or similar inside the shirts to create more realistic expansion on the exit area. All but 00 buck would probably stand a good chance of thru and thru performance.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Blood...Blood...ROFL

Quote Originally Posted by SixBravo View Post
    This should elicit a LOT of fun answers. haha

I'm taking a criminal forensics class and lab in school. Obviously we're covering firearms. Well my professor asked for volunteers to help set-up a lab processing experiment. Naturally, if it involves guns at my school, the entire class volunteers. I seemed to have the best idea of how to do it so he told me to run with it this weekend. Here is what I am to accomplish:

I need to fake gunshot wounds into t-shirts and they need to look/be as realistic as possible. We can't use real blood due to biohazard issues, but I have an awesome recipe for fake blood (though I'm open to others!). Specifically, here is what I plan to do because he told me to go nuts with it.

1st Shirt: .40S&W Speer GDHP. Two rounds. 25 feet.
    2nd Shirt: .40S&W Speer GDHP. Six-Eight rounds. ~2-3 feet. (Lots of good residue!)
    3rd Shirt: 7.62x39 JHP. Four rounds. 25 feet.
    4th Shirt: 12ga 00Buck. Two rounds. 6 feet.

Now he told me to fake the blood if I could. The best thing I can come up with is to fill little ziplock baggies with fake blood and tape them to the interior of the shirt. Then stand the shirts up on a target stand and blast away. Then I had planned to pull the shirt off the stand and just lay it in the dirt to let everything drain.

Now what do you all think? I've never had to fake anything like this before. Any ideas of how I could fake this better? Keep in mind that I am on a budget so going out to buy sawhorses and additional stands might be out of my range but I'd like to hear what everyone here has to say.

Any additional recipes for fake blood must be odorless. So, no foods or pasta sauces.

And yes, there will be pictures posted when I finish. haha

Good Luck please send pictures..
    Fake Blood Tips from the Hollywood Pros | Halloween World

Senior Moderator
    I would put the fake blood pouches inside the phone books or ballistic gel.

Most of the intial bleed out will be from exit wounds. If oyu have the blood pouches in front you will get splash which is good for knife and blunt instrument wounds but not for gunshot wounds.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I would put the fake blood pouches inside the phone books or ballistic gel.

Most of the intial bleed out will be from exit wounds. If oyu have the blood pouches in front you will get splash which is good for knife and blunt instrument wounds but not for gunshot wounds.
    The shirts don't really need to see expansion through them since it will be tough for a student to really tell the difference. But I'm planning to use HP's and use thick "blood" to help with the spattering onto the shirts.

I do need to capture two rounds. Ballistic gel is out of my range but I was going to fire into a series of water jugs to remove the rounds intact. I have to get an example from two different guns. One will be my HK, the other will be a .40 Glock (I don't know the designations).
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

If you can make a big block use jello!

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Entrance wounds typically don't bleed much, maybe a single small trickle, but they do bulge a bit. The bleeding happens on the inside, with associated bruising, and all the other typical signs and symptoms of blood loss/shock. They are actually often overlooked by inexperienced medics. Exit wounds, as stated, do tend to open up a bit more, but they occur in only a relatively small percentage of shootings. On the other hand, if you open an artery or a vein... spurting or rapid oozing will occur.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Entrance wounds typically don't bleed much, maybe a single small trickle, but they do bulge a bit. The bleeding happens on the inside, with associated bruising, and all the other typical signs and symptoms of blood loss/shock. They are actually often overlooked by inexperienced medics. Exit wounds, as stated, do tend to open up a bit more, but they occur in only a relatively small percentage of shootings. On the other hand, if you open an artery or a vein... spurting or rapid oozing will occur.
    Thanks for the tips!! That's actually really good to know! Thank you, sir.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review

Administrator
    "The best thing I can come up with is to fill little ziplock baggies with fake blood and tape them to the interior of the shirt."

Members are correct that doing that is not going to give you an accurate looking entrance wound area on a shirt.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    "The best thing I can come up with is to fill little ziplock baggies with fake blood and tape them to the interior of the shirt."

Members are correct that doing that is not going to give you an accurate looking entrance wound area on a shirt.
    There has to be some elasticity like flesh. I would say something akin neoprene. What aboout wrapping the ziplock in a material like the bathtub liner? Contractors help us out here.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

How exactly will you add defensivecarry.com to your bibliography page of this report?

I'm thinking the names of those who have give you great advice will simply look silly, but it might just get you an "A".
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Senior Moderator
    You can make a noncongealed jello and put it in the bags, it is thicker and might not splash as much, but I would still put it inside the phone books that you are shooting through
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

So you're going to put the shirt over some sort of stop (phone books or something) and then shoot it...right? If so, I'd put the blood on afterwards keeping in mind what the paramedic said. Gunshot victims stagger around, they land on different parts of the body, the blood pretty much soaks in a random matter depending on what was shot (organ-wise) so any blood pattern would be acceptable in this open-ended context.

course you could always put a cat inside the shirt and shoot it......

JUST KIDDING!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links