Had a good Day with My 06 Tacoma

This is a discussion on Had a good Day with My 06 Tacoma within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Okay so last year. I was moving my gun save in my Tacoma and the tail gate litterly folded like a TACO under the weight. ...

Thread: Had a good Day with My 06 Tacoma

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality

Had a good Day with My 06 Tacoma

Okay so last year. I was moving my gun save in my Tacoma and the tail gate litterly folded like a TACO under the weight. I took it into the dealership and they told me it would cost $1,500 to get the tail gate fixed. I said forget that. Well last Thursday I found this little FORUM called Tacoma world I found out that there are things called TSB's (Toyota Service Bulletins), there not recalls but TOYOTA sends them to the dealership as if they have this problem fix it. Well my bent tail gate was a TSB. I also found out that my suspension was a TSB and that if you had a NON TRD truck from 05-07 they upgrade you to the TRD front and rear suspension under the TSB. This only works if your still uner 3/36K mile warrenty. Well I was at 2.5 years and 35,308 miles. Took my truck in got the a brand new reinforced tailgate, got TRD suspension. Basically, I got about 2-4 dollar upgrades to my truck for FREE! YIPPPPPPEEEEEEE anyway thought i would brag.

So I took my truck in.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    I don't understand why the dealers aren't more willing to divulge these bulletins. They get paid for the work. Glad you found out.
    Last edited by Gunnutty; September 26th, 2008 at 10:25 PM. Reason: spacing
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnutty View Post
    I don't understand why the dealers aren't more willing to divulge these bulletins. They get paid for the work. Glad you found out.
    I don't know but the Tacoma forums have em. I litterly walked into the dealership had the TSB's printed out and they did give me a rash of hoopla. They also told me it would be done in 3 days but it was done in 7. Not that I'm complaining by any means. The new suspension, lifted my truck and now gives me much better handling. I was going to lift it anyway but this works
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Technical Service Bulletins (TSB's) are available for pretty much ANY vehicle you can think of. The thing is that where the dealerships are getting the part from the factory, they are NOT making full labor rate.

The GM dealership here in town makes $84 an hour labor, but only $65 an hour for warranty work, so they lose money where they could be going after other customers who are out of warranty and very few techs are willing to work for warranty rates.

I am a tech at a serivice shop that is NOT a dealership (we are actually a tire store) but step one in all 'mystery problems' is to check the TSB's on AllData
    ‘‘To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them...’’

— Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Glad you found a forum for your vehicle! It's a priceless find. I recommend it to anyone who owns any vehicle. Glad you got your equipment fixed, and your truck whole again. Too bad you couldn't talk them out of a tank full of gasoline for the trouble. I'd give you some tips for working your local dealership service department adviser, but those are my best kept secrets. Check the internet for any TSB's on your vehicle...you never know what you'll find, and make sure the service department treats you right and does what's required in a timely manner. Service after the sale keeps them coming back for most dealerships. I have a couple of five star dealerships in my area and they are concerned with retaining their reputation. I've even gotten loaner vehicles for a day just for bringing mine in for milestone services on my work days. A vehicle is a major investment second only to a home, and for those of us who can't pay cash outright for the vehicle, we're generally paying it off in five years! Take advantage of everything you can to retain that investment and make it last as long as you can.

Links