Colonoscopy/Gastoscopy

Colonoscopy/Gastoscopy

This is a discussion on Colonoscopy/Gastoscopy within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; As an old coot, I had my first procedure done yesterday. The preliminary preparation was the worst! I set a new land speed record to ...

Thread: Colonoscopy/Gastoscopy

Colonoscopy/Gastoscopy

As an old coot, I had my first procedure done yesterday. The preliminary preparation was the worst! I set a new land speed record to the throne. The actual test was most amazing. I had read many horror stories of individuals but none of that occurred. I remember absolutely nothing. My wife said I was hitting on the nurse! The nurse said they use the same scope for inspecting both ends! Very funny! Anyway, I now have colored photos ($2000.00 each) of esophagus and rectum. And, my wife says I am a perfect ass. If you haven't taken the test, DO IT.

I had the full colonoscopy and endoscopy done. They put me out for that! Yes, the prep work is the worst. I also had to do a CATscan prior to that which is even worse. You have to drink TONS of yucky radioactive, chalky, gag-flavored "milk" prior. NOT what you want to be doing on an upset stomach. Then once all that was done, I had to swallow a golf-ball sized endo-camera which travels the entire length of your gut taking pictures. OK, isn't as big as a golf ball, but still! Luckily all came out well, no big C or anything. Probably bad food or an IBS thing or something.

Since I'm subject to Socialized Medicine (I'm retired Army), all my everchanging doctors want to do is the blood test. Simply amazing. I have NO good stories about TriCare and its lack of customer-orientedness. This is what you all can expect if we ever wind up with the Hillary plan--piss-poor care in every way.

My Dad passed away from colon cancer , so I had my poop shoot scoped. The flush treatment was the worst part, sitting on the throne like a cow letting loose on a flat rock. They gave me some good meds but was awake through the "hole" procedure watching the video screen. It felt like I had a huge parasite wiggling around inside me like the movie Alien. Came out clean, wasn't bad at all, get it done it might save your life.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    I had to have it done a couple of years ago and they knocked me out for it too. The last thing I asked before I went out was that if they were going to use the same scope for each end, to do the upper endoscopy first.

But you're right about the prep being the worst. I didn't even finish the first Miralax before I had to run to the bathroom.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

VIP Member
    I've had two routine colonoscopies. Important to do though the first time it was mentally frightening to think about being scoped. I convinced myself when I realized I'd rather be laying on that table antiicpating the scoping, rather than laying on that table anticipating colon surgery. Get it done (males over 50, or younger with gastro problems).....believe me it's nothing much to it, and sure beats dying of colon cancer.

You don't knocked out as in "general anesthesia" for surgery. You get knocked out in a way that you are instantly sleepy, then given a drug to erase a little of your memory
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

It's only kinky the first time...
    They found eleven polyps in me. Now I get to go back annually!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I have a colonoscopy scheduled to Oct 15th. This will be my third one and I have had all of the other tests run several times. The worst is when they shoot it in both ends to see where it meets. Let me put it this way, when the shoot you full of demarol and valium you really don't care what they do to you. My doctor keeps trying to find something wrong with me but so far she has struck out. That is other than the mental part.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I had one done in my thirties. Why would anyone go into that profession??
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

DC Founder
    I have had five of them so far. The first one found cancer in a large polyp, which was surgically removed along with 11" of my colon, a month or so later. The others have been necessary to check the resection and make sure that the cancer has not returned. If you haven't had one, DO IT, as ppkheat already said.

I can't begin to tell you what it feels like to be told you have cancer, and in the case of colon cancer, the cancer almost always starts as a simple polyp which will be removed during the colonoscopy. Have a colonoscopy every five years and you are almost guaranteed not to develop colon cancer....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Thank you everyone for your comments. The subject matter is not the easiest to discuss and I ,like many others, are embarrassed and find it to be humiliating, but if you want CYA so to speak, it is a very important procedure. I now must wait a week to see if the two small polyps were benign.

Nothing to be ashamed of at all. We have it tough...you should go through all the procedures women have to go through! Good luck with the outcome of your polyps, most are benign.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Had it done.
    Prep was the real work.
    I've had worse but then in my young life I have been shot, stabbed, cut, run into and run over, and a street evangelist tried to save my corroded soul.
    My biggest concern, once they started titrating the Happy Juice into my IV, was that they had enough lifting help as I am 260 lb and told them I did not want to wreck a nurse's back moving my comatose carcass.
    Whatever they gave me turned off my memory's recorder right after I expressed concern for the good health of their backs, and turned it back on in the recovery area.
    +1 on the comment that the scope beats the surgery. My friends, for your health's sake and for the well being of those who love you and depend on you, have it done!
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Whatever they gave me turned off my memory's recorder right after I expressed concern for the good health of their backs, and turned it back on in the recovery area.
    Both times I woke up just enough at the end to see the TV screen, I do remember that. I cannot vouch for what I said. My Grandfather, Father and two of my uncles died of colon cancer. It does not bother me one bit to talk about it if it saves someone's life.

Sponsored Links